I can't get it together

Options
I am terrified that I won't be successful. My old ways are coming back and I can eat what I want....and some days I do. I am exercising more then I ever have but I am just keeping my weight loss at a stand still...I am so frustrated with myself :(

Replies

• Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You don't say how far out you are. But I am 7 months out from surgery, and I also seem to be able to eat whatever I want. I can't eat the same large quantities, but I can graze all day on sweets (unfortunately I've tried and know this for sure) with no ill-effects. My appetite has also returned, and if I'm not careful I will overeat. I've been at a plateau for about 5 weeks, and I do beat myself up a little, especially when I see others on here posting such great success. I try to keep in mind that everyone hits rough spots, everyone's journey is different, and most importantly - it's a marathon, not a sprint. I look at how far I've already come, and I re-commit. With the weather getting nice, I've started adding more walking time, and definitely drinking more liquids. That seems to help with the snacking, sugar-free popscicles are probably going to become my best friends in the next few months. The scale was down a few pounds this morning. Keep at it - chances are if you look at your starting weight, compared with today - you already are "successful". :)
  • sue100194
    sue100194 Posts: 129
    Options
    It's possible you are halfway or more to conquering the problem. You are aware of what's happening and by posting to the boards it sounds like you are ready to fight back and turn it around. Jump on it! You can do this!! :)
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I had the RNY specifically to help me avoid sweets and fatty items due to the much feared dumping syndrome. Sadly, I can really eat most of what I want, and at quantities above what I was told I would be able to eat. However, it hasn't really stopped me from getting to where I want to be. Like Tristaan said, you didn't post any details on how far post-surgery you are, however if you are beyond six months then yes, the appetite will have returned, and the weight will be harder to drop. I don't want to sound too harsh, but this is the point where you need to start working at it. You need to make sure to maintain portion control, and try not to graze or eat lots of snacks. Weight your food out, track your intake. Don't worry about the amount of calories MFP gives you, as they don't match what we need depending on where you are in your journey. Most importantly, make sure you get enough PROTEIN! I average about 130 to 150 gm a day, and that's honestly below where I want to be. I've found that on the weeks where I make protein an absolutely priority I do better.

We all hit stalls and plateaus. Sometimes changing up your routine for a few days can jumpstart it. See if you can do a different exercise program for a few days, or try a few different foods. If we do the same thing over, and over, our body adjusts to it. Just concentrate on getting different movements in, maybe doing strength training (it's important to build muscle for your base metabolism), and work on getting protein and you should see the scale move within a week or two. Again, I'm assuming that you are less than a year post surgery. If you are move than a year post, then more than likely you've lost most the weight that you are going to lose, and should work on toning your body up and losing body fat instead of weight. My weight has been consistent for months, however I've lost about 5% body fat in the last 6 months.
  • lady_grace28
    Options
    I am 5 months post op and I have lost 84 lbs. You're right the grazing is what makes me so agitated. I can snack all day. Thanks for the encouragement.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Track all your food intake in MFP (even the snacks) and get a FitBot to track your calorie burn. Link the two together and you will actually SEE the calories in and out. This will help you keep on program.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Lady Grace, most of us have had this same issues at one time or another in our journeys. I too was so scared of failing this too that I almost didn't have my surgery. Truth is, if I can do this, work the plan, stay on track 99% of the time, so can you. Hang in there girl! Log everything you put in your mouth and open your diary. I can't tell you how many times I won't eat something because I don't want my friends here to see that I ate that particular thing. Make sure you are getting your protein and more than what you must get in water. I know that if I exceed my water I'm typically not eating because there's not enough room in my tummy for both food and water. And always eat the protein first. Once the protein is in, I'm usually so full I can't eat anything else for awhile.

You lost 84 pounds so far! That's not failing, that's succeeding! You have been given a great tool. Use it well and you will get the rest of the weight off. Keep using it for life and you will keep the weight off. Again, you can do this! - Pat
  • sashahanrahan
    sashahanrahan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I could've created this post myself a week ago. I'm six months out and have lost 75lbs. Somewhere along the way, I slowly let snacking, carbs, and just generally unhealthy choices start to sneak back into my routine after a seemingly endless plateau. Of course those poor choices did nothing to help the plateau. About a week ago, the dietician at my clinic sent out a mass email that seemed like it was targeted just towards me. It contained information about a reboot diet. Basically, I'm drinking protein shakes for my meals, eating two protein bars as snacks and drinking my 64 oz of water. I'm supposed to do this for two weeks. I'm already seeing results and feel like I'm breaking the addictions that had started back up. I visited the doc today. He reminded me that this a life long struggle. Not just one that ends after the surgery is over or even after the weight is off. It has to be one conscious decision after another. Instead of telling yourself you "can't" have that, tell yourself you choose not to eat it. It involves reframing the mind.

Having said that, don't give up! This is your life (and my life) and we deserve to be healthy and happy. :)
  • Reba723
    Reba723 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had the surgery nearly 5 years ago. In January, I weighed 2 pounds more than I did when I had it. I never lost more than 20 pounds before I gained it back. I managed to stay in that 20 pound range (up and down) for all that time, but that's not what I had the surgery for. I referred to myself as the poster child for lap band failure. While I am limited in being able to eat meats, some vegetables, and fruits, anything with sugar in it goes down easily, In February, my husband hit his all time high weight, and decided to join me in counting calories on MFP. While he has also struggled with his weight for years, he has never really weighed, measured, or counted calories. I've never been much for cooking, but we started eating more fish and eating at home. I'm able to put together a meal of fish, veggies, and maybe a starch in about the same amount of time that it takes to thaw and heat up a Stouffer's meal. Thank you, George Forman Grill! He can have a lot more calories than I can, but the lap band keeps me from eating as much. I still have a dessert sometimes when we eat out, but I don't have anything in the house, and we don't eat out as much. My exercise routine is walking the dog twice a day with one or two trips to the gym each week. I need to improve there. However, as of yesterday, I've lost 30 pounds since February 1! I've journaled on MFP for 111 days, That is a huge factor in this. There are some other positive factors keeping me on track, but the most positive aspect is the fact that I haven't been this weight in more than 10 years. Success is the best motivator.
  • lady_grace28
    Options
    I have a hard time with the protein. There came a time when I couldn't keep the shakes down anymore and the stuff in the tubes were worst. I am back on those trying to get in 100g at least daily but I still struggle. What do you do to add protein to your diet? I do need to track my food better. I mostly need to remember that i started all this for myself and I have to keep giving to myself if I am going to succeed.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with the protein. There came a time when I couldn't keep the shakes down anymore and the stuff in the tubes were worst. I am back on those trying to get in 100g at least daily but I still struggle. What do you do to add protein to your diet? I do need to track my food better. I mostly need to remember that i started all this for myself and I have to keep giving to myself if I am going to succeed.

There's a flavored water at GNC that also has 50+ grams of protein in it. My minds a blank on the name right this minute, but if you look on their web site or go into their store, they can tell you what I'm talking about. I also have an unflavored protein powder made by Syntrax. It has 10 grams per scoop and really does not change the flavor of anything. It will change the texture of some foods, but disolves well into anything with a broth or sauce. Other than that, when you can eat more "normal" foods, I love canned chicken because it's really high in protein, shreds easily, a little fills you and you can use it so many different ways. My favorite way to use it is to add it to put some on top of a tossed salad. It's moist anyway and the salad dressing means you really don't have to mix the chicken with anything unless you want to. If you want to make a chicken salad out of it for wraps or such, I use some plain greek yogurt and a little fat free ranch dressing rather than mayo. Add in some spices, onion, etc., and it's really good.