Dates

Options
climbing_trees
climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
Do dates have any nutritional benefit?

I've had some success following a lower fat vegan diet high in fresh fruits and veggies. Sometimes raw, sometimes steamed or baked. Lots of smoothies and soups and salads and stir fries.
Most of the recipes I've seen include outrageous amounts of dates! Sometimes even dates in a savory soup!
I do appreciate them in small quantities, but I find that they are almost too sweet for my palate.
If I can maintain an appropriate texture, I will use half or less the recommended amount.
If it needs to be more solid, I've had some luck using a tablespoon of oatmeal in its place.

Are there any benefits from eating extra dates? Or am I in the clear to use way less than suggested?

Thank you!

Replies

• danikanoodles
    danikanoodles Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Dates are an excellent source of energy. They are also a great source of iron that we can actually absorb.

There is a pretty large variety of dates out there, some sweeter than others. Maybe try out a few kinds and see which ones you prefer.
  • MozzaWehsha
    MozzaWehsha Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Unlike other fruits a small amount of dates provides a lot of energy, keeps you full and with no cravings because of all the sugar it contains. That's why you find a lot of dates in many raw vegan diets. If you don't like dates that much, don't worry it's perfectly fine to reduce your intake of them.