supportive sports bras for BFing moms??

I got cleared to exercise Wednesday. Headed to the gym yesterday, hopped on the treadmill and turned it up to run. Ran for 30 seconds and my boobs HURT and I had to stop! I'm normally small-chested so this is new to me. Any tips? I'm going to double up - is this good enough or any other suggestions?

Replies

• tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    With my daughter, I doubled up. Actually, I would wear a standard bra with a sports bra over the top, sometimes wearing a second sports bra too for 3 bras total.... Then again, I was an F and needed a ton of support to do any physical activity.
    Be sure to only strap them up tight or wrap them up in layers of bras only when exercising. If you wear multiple bras, or very tight bras all the time you can restrict your milk supply.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    With my daughter, I doubled up. Actually, I would wear a standard bra with a sports bra over the top, sometimes wearing a second sports bra too for 3 bras total.... Then again, I was an F and needed a ton of support to do any physical activity.
    Be sure to only strap them up tight or wrap them up in layers of bras only when exercising. If you wear multiple bras, or very tight bras all the time you can restrict your milk supply.

Thanks for the tips! I will let you know how it goes on my run today!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Though not specifically for BF'ing, the Anita Sports Bra line is great. I used to double up and it worked fairly well, it might be a feasible solution for the short-term. Eventually, though, I got irritated by trying to pull off 2 sweaty bras after a run or cycling event. If you intend to nurse for the full year (or even more) give the Anita a try, I found it very nice to have a sports bra with a hook closure.
  • momRN2B
    momRN2B Posts: 247 Member
    I have the fiona bra from moving comfort and it has velcro straps which u can open to breastfeed. Here is a link http://www.amazon.com/Moving-Comfort-Womens-Fiona-Black/dp/B001AP5HPC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401059935&sr=8-1&keywords=moving+comfort+sports+bra
  • heatherz104
    heatherz104 Posts: 70 Member
    I second the moving comfort fiona bra, it helps support you and keep you from hurting.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    I'm a huge fan of Lululemon's TaTa Tamer, whether I'm not pregnant, pregnant (my boobs get huge) or BFing (huge and heavy). I have this bra in a few different sizes and won't (can't) wear anything else because it's the most supportive bra I've ever tried. NOTHING moves!
  • Dolci07
    Dolci07 Posts: 37 Member
    Motherhood Maternity has a really good sports bra. Make sure to go by the chart to get the right size. :)
  • tiggerhammon
    I am really glad I never went and bought sports bras or nursing bras. I had every intention of buying some and planned to buy one size up from where I was (because when I had !y daughter, that is what happened - I was up one size while nursing.) I am now grateful I didn't do it. I didn't change size at all, all my bras still fit.
    My problem now - it isn't that my bras aren't supportive enough, but rather that no matter what bra or how many bras I wear - my boobs hurt! Anything touching them hurts, they bounce and it hurts and I still can't sleep on my stomach because that makes them hurt really bad! I am not exercising or trying to run right now - thank goodness! If I was, I would probably cry through my whole run.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I have the fiona bra from moving comfort and it has velcro straps which u can open to breastfeed. Here is a link http://www.amazon.com/Moving-Comfort-Womens-Fiona-Black/dp/B001AP5HPC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401059935&sr=8-1&keywords=moving+comfort+sports+bra

Ah, you are a genius. I have this bra anyway for running and I love it. I had forgotten about the velcro straps.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Motherhood Maternity has a really good sports bra. Make sure to go by the chart to get the right size. :)

That wasn't my experience. I wandered into this thread because the sports bra I have from there is not supportive at all. I kept it as a wear around bra, but I won't be exercising with it.

I was also pretty upset that I ordered 4 bras, followed their size chart, one fit (the sports bra one), one was incredibly small, and two others too big. While I get my money back for the 3 I sent back, I still lose out on the original shipping cost and it cost me $15 to send them back. They do offer free shipping for exchanges, not returns though.
  • tiggerhammon
    For anyone still following this ...

I just bought nursing bras 2 days ago and am absolutely loving them!
    bravadodesigns.com