Am i actually eating all the fat?

MyiahRose
MyiahRose Posts: 183 Member
Ok so i eat a lot of sausages and hot dogs and stuff like that. But during cooking some oil(or fat?) drains out.
So am i really eating all the fat thats on the nutrition label or is it less because some drained out?
?

Replies

• SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    Some of the nutritional data sites will differentiate between whether the data provided is for COOKED or RAW foods. It is safe to assume that if it states "cooked" that the values will be close enough to make it work for whatever cooking method you have chosen (sometimes they even state the cooking method).
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    I always measure my vegetables raw and my meats cooked.
  • MyiahRose
    Some of the nutritional data sites will differentiate between whether the data provided is for COOKED or RAW foods. It is safe to assume that if it states "cooked" that the values will be close enough to make it work for whatever cooking method you have chosen (sometimes they even state the cooking method).

Unfortunately it doesn't say, thats why im confused, i want to be sure that im eating all the fat in the sausages because it does drain a lot of oil after cooking.
  • MyiahRose
    I always measure my vegetables raw and my meats cooked.

Im confused by your answer....
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    When I measure what I consumer to enter into my MFP food diary, I take the measurements of everything.
    Vegetables I measure when they are uncooked (compare cooked to uncooked mushrooms).
    Meats I don't measure until after they are cooked.

So, I guess when you apply that to your original question - expect some fat/grease to cook off from the meat. If you measure it afterwards it won't matter.

Food is not an exact science - it's a guestimate at best.
    When looking at labels (50g / 1 package) the package never weighs exactly 50g. Even with hotdogs, no 2 hotdogs will probably be the same (some may have more chicken lips in them than others). :smile:
  • ruthiejewell
    ruthiejewell Posts: 134 Member
    I wish I had an answer to this too. I often cook large joints of meats, slice, bag in portions and freeze. I weigh raw, then cooked but I also weigh the juices and then I try to calculate ... not easy! The juices ca weigh a lot. I've googled a bit and seen some tables about this for caterers/chefs but it doesn't totally help. Hopefully someone will answer with more info.
  • SnowFlinga
    Here are two examples that show what I'm referring to regarding the food data for cooked items:

http://fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/ground-beef-regular-cooked
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beef-products/3798/2

They also do this for some vegetables (it's not just for meat).
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Deglaze the oils and juices from the meat in the pan. Its not just to get enough fats but around 50% of minerals and nutrients like potassium, magnesium escape from the meat when you cook them.I usually make a thick sauce and dip the meat in the sauce.
  • SnowFlinga
    Deglaze the oils and juices from the meat in the pan. Its not just to get enough fats but around 50% of minerals and nutrients like potassium, magnesium escape from the meat when you cook them.I usually make a thick sauce and dip the meat in the sauce.
    This is a great idea. I also collect any excess fats/oils from what I cook and use those in other dishes I cook later. I did some research on how long you can keep these collected fats and learned that it was quite common for homes to keep things like bacon grease in a jar on the counter for 6 months to a year without any problems. Saturated fats are quite stable and do not go rancid. I actually keep mine in the fridge (rather than on the counter). Make sure though that when cooking you don't exceed the smoke point of any of the fats or oils. If you accidentally overheat I would not keep that stuff since it has oxidized and created free radicals.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    This is a great idea. I also collect any excess fats/oils from what I cook and use those in other dishes I cook later. I did some research on how long you can keep these collected fats and learned that it was quite common for homes to keep things like bacon grease in a jar on the counter for 6 months to a year without any problems. Saturated fats are quite stable and do not go rancid. I actually keep mine in the fridge (rather than on the counter). Make sure though that when cooking you don't exceed the smoke point of any of the fats or oils. If you accidentally overheat I would not keep that stuff since it has oxidized and created free radicals.

When I was a kid in the 60s and even until the 70s (when she eventually switched to margarine, bleah) my mom always had a mug of bacon grease in the fridge, topped up every Sunday when we cooked up a brunch of bacon and eggs. She would use the grease to fry up leftover potatoes or whatever through the week. I need to start doing that. But the bacon sold in Japan is very lean, doesn't let out much fat, so I need to buy imported bacon from NZ or Oz....