Gels

Options
2»

Replies

• vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity...Is it possible to run a full marathon without any gels, gummies, food, etc.?

Depends on how long you'll take to finish, but yes, it certainly is possible.

*Waves hands in air* yes!!!!
    I've done it 3 times now... On Saturday I will do it again only be going 31 miles. I do have gaterade which is viewed as "fuel".. But I recently raced a 30k without anything just water & felt fantastic. I'm positive I could do it in a full marathon. You most definately do not NEED it. It's amazing what the human body can do!
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Of course when running longer than a half marathon I think you should be eating something. The one thing that turns me off running a full marathon is that I know I would run of out gas. Meaning I'd have to stop and eat something just to continue or have something I could pop in like the gels and gummies I've been hearing about.

Run out of gas? :-( I'm not quiet sure I understand. I It doesn't just "run out of gas" if you run for more than 2 hours without eating. If you are having a hard time running between 10-20 miles, it's less likely to be a lack of endurance than a lack of fuel. Your body will adjust accordingly. Putting food in your body when running 2-3 hours isn't some "magic ticket" to be able to keep going. If it works are a placebo for you & help you mentally feel better than do it... But if you are concerned about having to "stop and eat" while running then don't. You don't need to worry about it so much at the marathon & below distance.

I've never seen Ryan hall or shaleen stop & eat mid marathon. It's just a product that has been marketed to runners as something you "need" in order to complete a marathon. It's not. You don't need it.

My 3 best marathon times were without "eating" anything. 3:43, 3:27, 3:31.

My fiancé has ran a 2:46 and he insists on having 3 gels.. Whatever floats his boat.. I know he's a head case- it's all in his head. He even admits it. He says "hey whatever helps- even if it's in my head"
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    May I make note of a few things however.

Just going out and running a marathon or even a long run and never have trained properly, will create havoc and you won't enjoy the race as much. Maybe you can survive a marathon without gu or gels but do you really want to do that to yourself? As Carson already pointed out, your long slow runs during the training phases should be fasted to train the body to get used to using fat stores during long distances instead of relying on your intake during the run. It's a process that your body develops during months of training. It also stimulates glycogen storage. So the longer you train fasted, in due time, the more glycogen you can store. Which means, the longer you can run without "bonking".

Gels, Gatorade, Gu, ect are all meant to supplement and replace *some* of the glycogen lost during a run. Your body cannot replace all that you loose during a run (just a small amount), because your body cannot metabolize the calories you eat fast enough during the run. Instead, you have to train the body to rely on fat stores. See item above.

How much can the body metabolize? here are some facts taken from RW Big Book of Marathon and Half Marathon Training. before a race, you can only metabolize 600 calories 3 hours prior to your run/race. Or, 200 calories an hour before your run/race. During the race, your body can only metabolize 100 calories every 45 minutes. So if you are fully carbed up before the race, then start taking a gel or gu, *or* 100 cals of Gatorade about 30 minutes in, then there after every 45 minutes.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I totally didn't mean to take over the thread but appreciate all the comments and information given regarding my question. I'm toying with the idea of running a full marathon some time next year and this feedback is very helpful.

Thanks!!
  • HappyRunner34
    HappyRunner34 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    So, ooops, yes so I meant every 3 to 4 miles on a long run. Interesting though how many different ways there are to train and nourish the body as you tear it apart running distance. Always my favourite conclusion: even though we all share a basic physiology, there are so many differences in our systems and conditions, that there is clearly not one ultimate best way to run. Survey the buffet of training, nutrition, hydration and related and try and choose the ones that work for you best as an individual. Love the learning and best of luck to you all for continued success and fulfillment in your running!
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I know I run faster when fueling, but I do try and do fuel only with certain types of training runs (esp those where I am simulating a race or running a fast sub 7 min finish miles). I do a gel or other 100 calorie easy digestible food at the start line of a race and then take in 40-60 carbs per hour thereafter with a mixture of a gel flask (gels mixed in water) and whatever sports drink.

I have experimented with my long runs LSD, fast finish long runs, and progression runs with various amounts of fueling and this is just what works best for me for my best performance.

I have only recently started taking in some carbs during speed workouts. That, too, has improved my times significantly during those sessions. I try to offset that by doing no fuel for all other workouts in the week, even when they are 75min+.
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I average a gel an hour or so. I have switched over to the huma gels now though.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    During training for my first full, next weekend by the way, I ran 14,15,17,18,19 all with water and a few sport jelly beans! At the end of 19 I was so nauseas and couldn't run another step I knew I needed some more fuel! I ran my 20 with gels, every 5 miles and I felt fantastic afterwards! So I suppose I could finish a marathon without it, but I imagine I would be hating life and my finish time would suffer!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I usually only fuel up for runs > 10 miles but starting this training cycle I may incorporate some of the wisdom in Fitzgerald's nutrition book for the Half.

Insofar as the idea of that running in a fasted state can "train" the body to burn fat instead of CHO, I've read that in a variety of sites but never seen a link to a study that discusses that.

Can anyone provide a citation or a link?