screwmenopause Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    GardenGirlie - I love the TGIF! (thank God I am female) lol
    welcome!
  • jreneecal
    jreneecal Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    So glad to find this group, my name is Julie, 53 will be 54 in a couple of months. Married for the second time to a really terrific man, between the two of us we have 6 children and 5 grandchildren. We were empty nesters but my son recently got out of the military so they are living with us for the time being. You would think I might lose some weight running around with the two year old but not so far. I really want to get this spare tire off my waist!
    Had a laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy a few years ago but have my ovaries so here I go with the hot flashes, etc. Enough of the whinning, lost my younger sister and brother to cancer over the last two years. NOW is the time for me to make lifestyle changes, need to exercise regularly and make better food/portion choices. Recently returned to MFP. Originally I lost 17 lbs but after being off the site I've gained most of it back. Ready to re commit.....looking forward to the tips, support, etc. we can provide each other!
  • teacuplady
    teacuplady Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I saw the original post on the main board regarding menopause, saw a group being formed and flew to join, lol!! I just turned 53 on Wed and am in peri-menopause. I've had a few hot flashes, more like getting extra warm really. Nothing recently though. I had always heard it's near impossible to lose weight after menopause so last year something finally snapped in me and I told myself it was now or never and joined MFP. I'm coming on to my one year anniversary in June. I've done pretty good so far. I'm just worried that all my hard work will fall away once I hit the actual "pause" you know? Looking forward to reading how everyone else copes with it all. I'm always looking for new friends so add me if you want.
  • screwmenopause
    Options
    WELCOME!
    teacuplady - lol. I totally get what you're saying about "now or never". that was me too then I found my new bff...MFP :heart:
    peppah - let's put all the stereotypical menopause "this is what happens when you're in menopause" in a big trash can and burn it :laugh: with me...sometimes it's what I am thinking in my head that actually comes true. so for me, new mindset, new outcome! :love:
    who-ahhh!
  • Karren188
    Karren188 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm 53 (next month) - I am not "confirmed" to be in menopause because I had an ablation a few years back and apparently it makes it harder to know for sure (although I feel I probably am)...but I relate to everything I've seen written here and I'm happy to have a group I can truly relate to. I have 4 children ages 30, 26, 9, & 8. I also have a grandbaby who is almost 3 and another on the way at the end of August. Both are sweet girls which I love to spoil and give back!!

Since my young boys & my grandbaby keep me hopping, I need to shed some pounds to keep up with them!! Looking forward to fun and laughter.....see you!!
  • screwmenopause
    Options
    welcome freshcrayons! sounds like you have lots of "kids" in your life! that'll help keep you young!:happy:
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I am new here. I have been looking for a MFP group for menopausal women....a group that is active. Seems like some of the other groups aren't very active. I am 58. I am in the midst of menopause. I stopped having periods for 3 months, then started up again for a few months. Next, I didn't have a period for 13 months and thought I was all done. Then started up again for a few months. My dr. took the FSH test and said I am in menopause. I haven't had a period for about 15 months now.

I am a little under 5'4". I was about 135 lb. When I was younger, my weight naturally stayed around 128. So I think my ideal weight is 130-135 pounds. I have very broad shoulders...need an XL or size 18 to fit my shoulders. , I "ate myself up" to 145. I was binge eating for comfort ( and have been a binge eater since my teens and been as high as 170). I read Geneen Roth's book on Breaking free from emotional eating. Now I'm a little under 140 and hope I can continue to lose weight. My exercise routine consists right now of Yolaties class 2x/week (yoga-pilates, lots of balance and core, like standing pilates), and gym 2X/week (strength training and stretching).

Question: I'm not great on the compouter...how do you get to the most recent posts? If there are pages of posts, such as
    "1 2 3 4 5", do you have to click on "5" to get to the most recent posts, or is there a way to set MFP to show most recent posts first?
  • screwmenopause
    Options
    I am new here. I have been looking for a MFP group for menopausal women....a group that is active. Seems like some of the other groups aren't very active.......

Question: I'm not great on the compouter...how do you get to the most recent posts? If there are pages of posts, such as
    "1 2 3 4 5", do you have to click on "5" to get to the most recent posts, or is there a way to set MFP to show most recent posts first?
    WELCOME dt3312!
    "active".... we NEED to be active at this stage of our lives :laugh: (not only online - lol)

I WISH I knew that answer. not really sure if you can "set" to receive most recent. what I do, when I bring up a thread, I just go to the last page and scroll down.
    hope that helps a little
    jill
  • Nillalis
    Nillalis Posts: 71 Member
    Options

When your in the list of different subjects that a group have posted you can see the name of the last poster and how long ago it was posted, in that area is also a blue text saying view. Click it and view will bring you to the last post in that subject
  • Ari112233
    Ari112233 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Is anyone here trying heavy lifting? I'm trying it, so far 'ok' - I go back and forth about the safety for my back but I want to keep going with it. I can't lift as heavy as younger women, clearly - but I'm not sure if it's my age or the fact that I didn't ever build muscles so I am catching up.
  • 1crvygrl
    1crvygrl Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 51 and in perimenopause. I can't seem to lose any real amount of weight for anything:sad: Right now I'm stuck around the 200 range(it fluctuates from 203-197) I'm really frustrated. I started 39 DS a couple of weeks ago, got down to 198 then I was right back up to 201...
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 51 and in perimenopause. I can't seem to lose any real amount of weight for anything:sad: Right now I'm stuck around the 200 range(it fluctuates from 203-197) I'm really frustrated. I started 39 DS a couple of weeks ago, got down to 198 then I was right back up to 201...

What's 39 DS??
  • screwmenopause
    Options
    stick to MFP and count your calories and log your exercise. it's a real eye opener. you WILL lose :smile:
  • screwmenopause
    Options
    Is anyone here trying heavy lifting? I'm trying it, so far 'ok' - I go back and forth about the safety for my back but I want to keep going with it. I can't lift as heavy as younger women, clearly - but I'm not sure if it's my age or the fact that I didn't ever build muscles so I am catching up.
    I lift, but not "heavy". it takes time to tone your muscles - lots of time. and eat lean and clean and you will see a difference. start out with lighter weights and work your way up - over time. be patient :)
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I've recently returned to MFP so I can drop this weight again. I had lost 80lbs just 3 years ago. I've been sick with inner ear / sinus issues for 18months and slowly gained back the weight. I need to get past feeling sorry for myself and do something about it. It was a great journey and I'm looking forward to getting back into those jeans that are in the back of my closet!

Thanks for starting this group - I'm joining you because I see there is constant activity here. That's what I need!

I'm 49 - menopausal - with 2 teenage daughters and a saint for a husband:heart: We live in Maine - enjoy outdoor activities and spending time at camp.

Ready to take this one day at a time. Add me as a friend if you'd like - the more support the better!!
  • screwmenopause
    Options
    WELCOME RENAEJAE!