salt loss during long rides?

cavewoman15
cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
the other day i did a 90 minute hard ride and after my face was covered in salt. it was really gross.. the only other time this has happened to me was after a long hike (8+ miles) in 80+ degree heat. it was only 55 or so the other day when this happened. i sweat a lot, by the way, so perhaps this is totally normal. but i'm wondering if this is a message from my body about hydration or nutrition? i know i need to work nutrition into my longer workouts (this is new to me), so i had a package of chews before/during the ride, but just a couple swigs of water. i stay really hydrated throughout the day though.

does this happen to other people? is it normal? thanks in advance.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    It happens to me... happened to me yesterday on a short but tough day in the hills.

I take it as a reminder of how much we lose doing exercise, and that those minerals need to be replaced if you want any hope at maintaining effort over longer periods of time.

Following along for more/better info.

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Over a 90 minute effort you're probably not going to see much of an effect in salt loss. That said on longer efforts you will. There have been studies done that endurance athletes (the average athlete) lose 1200mg of sodium per hour in events like an IM. Now add in heat/humidity/your own body type and you are going to fall a bit to either side of that. There is a point at which sodium deficiency will effect performance (sodium plays a role in muscle synapses communicating) and a point at which it can kill you.

If you want a sodium supplement look at products like Salt Stick caps or S! Caps. Don't use Hammer Endurolytes. Honestly just don't use Hammer products IMO.
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Don't use Hammer Endurolytes. Honestly just don't use Hammer products IMO.

I completely agree with this statement...
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    There are kits that are available to purchase that use a patch to collect sweat during a workout and then you send it in for analysis. They send you back results and you can then use that to cater your salt intake during workouts and races.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Not trying to hijack, but why the dislike for Hammer products?
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Not trying to hijack, but why the dislike for Hammer products?

The formulations just don't stack up IMO. The sodium content in Endurolytes and HEED are LOW. Single type carbs in HEED vs. a mixture of long and short sugars.

I realize that Hammer has a very cultish following in the triathlon community, but there are a ton of products out there with better formulations IMO.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Here's a link to a recent episode of Marketplace, one of the issues looked at was electrolyte replacement.... I was surprised by the results.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/2013-2014/farther-faster-fitter
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    I make my own sports drinks, with glucose from the chemist, salt and water.

I aim for 30-60g glucose per hour, and a pinch of salt. I suppose if there was a cheap fruit juice that didn't upset tummy I'd add that for electrolytes too.

So cheap, so chemical free, so effective.

As a recovery drink you can add fruit, fruit juice, protein powder or yoghurt.

I don't add caffeine coz it effects my heart rate, and also I've read studies that you need to have been clear of it for a couple of weeks for it to have an effect on performance.

I got these ideas from Joe Friel and Mat Fitzgerald.

Please feel free to add your opinion or point out any glaring errors!!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    I sweat profusely while working out. Always have, always will. I live in a steamy hot environment. And, I can't stand sports drinks. So staying not only hydrated, but electrolyted can be a challenge for me.

First, for me, drinking before/after simply isn't enough. Now that summer's here, any workout gets water brought along. I've got a hydration belt that allows for 4 small water bottles with 2 pockets for gels. On the bike I have 2 bottle cages and a bento box that I fill with Clif shot blocks, and always make sure some of those are the margarita flavor (3X the salt of their normal chews). If I'm not sweating very badly, the margaritas taste salty and nasty. If I'm really sweating, those darn things taste spectacular.

Sometimes I sweat so much that the salt builds up, and my skin becomes crusty. Those days I simply can't get enough hydration.

Be warned: If you think it's enough to hydrate yourself before you workout, but not during, you're risking a bad meltdown. Eventually things will go horribly wrong. Re-hydrating yourself post-workout is great (I like NUUN water post-workout, but not during). And hydrating yourself pre-workout sure can help. But the time will come, one day when you're out in the middle of nowhere busting out a nice hot run or ride, when your body just plain runs out of liquids.

I hope this helps, and I wish you well figuring out a workout hydrating system that works for you.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Thanks all for your recommendations. This really opens my eyes to how important it is to stay hydrated and fueled during long workouts, especially for sweaty people like me! I'm training for an Oly, so my guess is that I will be OK for the most part, because most of my workouts are in the 60-90 minute range and I live in Chicago, not the Sahara. But I will definitely pay attention to my body on my bricks and longer rides so that I can practice what works best and be ready for race day.

Thanks again!
  • jenbikeswim
    jenbikeswim Posts: 10
    Hi, it happens to me. Stay hydrated. You won't need salt tables for training until you're doing rides in the 5+ hour ranges. If you're concerned about electrolytes, drink your electrolyte drink for rides over 90 minutes. Electrolytes for less than that would just add to water retention. Gels also one every 90 minutes of riding.

Note: it is possible to over-hydrate (hyponatremia) and it's more deadly than dehydration. Hydration may not solve your skin-salt experience.

Here's a great article.... http://www.active.com/nutrition/articles/salt-and-athletes-shake-it-or-leave-it

I'm in Chicago, too.