Are my calculations correct?

Options
rose313
rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
Hi, I posted this in the Getting Started forum and was advised to post it here in this group to get help.

To start off, my calorie goal is set at 1200. (I know that's low.) My TDEE is 1795, and I aim to eat a 20% cut of that, which is 1436 per day. For the past 6 weeks, here is what I've actually eaten. (Average weekly numbers.) I am extremely accurate with my logging (I promise) and I do have a food scale:

Week 1- 1655
Week 2- 1632
Week 3- 1489
Week 4- 1320
Week 5- 1519
Week 6- 1601

Here are my macros for the past 6 weeks. I thought I was doing very well because I have always heard to eat 50/30/20 before seeing the Eat Train Progress thread today. (Carbs/Fat/Protein)

Week 1- 48/36/16
Week 2- 52/31/17
Week 3- 50/31/19
Week 4- 46/31/22
Week 5- 51/30/18
Week 6- 52/29/19

Also, I have been losing weight, but slowly and sporadically:

Week 1- 0 lbs
Week 2- 2.8 lbs
Week 3- 0.8 lbs
Week 4- 0.4 lbs
Week 5- 0.2 lbs
Week 6- 1.4 lbs

Anyway, here are the calculations that I've done. I did them both with my 1200 calorie goal (which is totally crazy at this point since I get so HUNGRY but I'm scared to up it in case I overeat) and my 1500 calorie goal which is more realistic for me. This first calculation is using my 1200 calorie goal:

Protein: 170 (My weight) x 0.8 (LBM) = 136g x 4 calories = 544 divided by 1200 (calorie target) = 45%
Fat: 0.35 x 170 = 59.5 x 9 calories = 535.5 divided by 1200= 45%

45% plus 45% equals 90 percent leaving only 10% left for carbs. That's only 30g carbs allowed per day. I'm currently eating between 150-200g carbs per day. Is my math right? I don't think I'm understanding something here.

This second calculation is using my 1500 calorie goal:

Protein: 170 x 0.8 = 136g x 4 calories =544 divided by 1500 =36% round down to 35%
Fat: 0.35 x 170 = 59.5 x 9 calories = 535.5 divided by 1500= 36% round down to 35%

35% plus 35% equals 70% leaving 30% left for carbs. The actual grams would be 90g carbs, 105g protein, 47g fat.

In the Getting Started forum a couple people said my math was wrong and I'm wondering if someone could please check it for me.

Replies

• kapoorpk
    kapoorpk Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    The math is correct. The assumptions around minimum intake may for some reason not be applicable in this case as stated.

I think SS and/or Sara can perhaps help further with this.

In my case...I use the same protein calculation. For fat, I try to hover between 20-25%, getting 50% of my calories from carbs. That would be more practical for my goal. So, for me it ends up being 50%/28%/22% carbs/proteins/fats.
  • rose313
    Options
    Thank you! Do you mean that it may not be applicable to me because my 1200 calorie goal is so low? I should probably use the macros for a more realistic 1500 calories, since that's usually what I end up eating on average.
  • kapoorpk
    Options
    I am not sure. But, I checked your math a couple of times and its not your math. Its the assumption around fat that is throwing it all off for you. Why, not sure. Somehow its too extreme of an outcome. I would not recommend going so low on carbs.

What's your goal anyway? I think, within a reasonable range, macros can be adjusted to get the desired result, e.g. muscle gain or weight loss, etc. but I am not an advocate of extreme diets. 30% carbs sounds extreme to me.

I would just ensure I get at least 48-50% carbs, 20-25% fat and the 1gram/lb of LBM based protein. If your total calories are correct to achieve weight loss or muscle gain (deficit or surplus, as applicable), you will still achieve those objectives. Everything in extreme usually has consequences.

SS and Sara are very good at what they do. I hope they can also shed some light on this.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    So first of all you appear to be losing weight at the intake you are currently at.

I show your average caloric intake to fall right around 1550 or so.

If I were in your position with your data, the way I would distribute my macronutrients would be roughly as follows.

1550 calories
    130 carbohydrate
    60 fat
    120 protein

If I were in your position, I would get near the above targets for two weeks, using a food scale to measure accurately, and I would monitor change in weight and make adjustments as needed based on those results.
  • kapoorpk
    Options
    So first of all you appear to be losing weight at the intake you are currently at.

If I were in your position with your data, the way I would distribute my macronutrients would be roughly as follows.

1550 calories
    130 carbohydrate
    60 fat
    120 protein

If I were in your position, I would get near the above targets for two weeks, using a food scale to measure accurately, and I would monitor change in weight and make adjustments as needed based on those results.

Just curious...presuming weight loss is the goal and she is already on a deficit enough to lose weight, what would rationalize going down to almost 35% in carbs and fats for a 70% in total from them? If exercising, won't that be too taxing not having enough carbs to fuel the workout, cause fatigue or lack of quick energy? Just wondering why go so low on the primary energy source, i.e. carbs.

Thanks.
  • rose313
    Options
    The only reason I was calculating so low in carbs is because that's what I thought the math was telling me to do. Was my carb calculation wrong? I'm confused because I seem to have done the math correctly.

Here it is with a 1550 calorie average:

170 (my weight) x 0.8 (LBM) = 136 x 4 calories = 544 divided by 1550 (current calorie average) = 35% which would be 90g carbs.

SideSteel thank you for the advice! I'm changing my macro goals to what you suggested right now. I'm wondering why you suggest going higher in carbs. I'm absolutely elated that I don't have to go way low, so I'm very happy with your advice, I was only curious because I want to learn.

Also, my goals: My first goal is to get back to 150 lbs like I was a couple years ago before I gave up on MFP because of a terrible plateau that wouldn't shift. My final goal is to be 140 lbs. I don't have a timeframe in mind, so if it's slow it's okay, but I would looove to lose a pound a week if at all possible.

Edit: I'm having another problem. I am in the Change Goals section. It gives me three drop down menus for percentages of carbs, fat, protein. I am trying to get the gram numbers to be 130g protein, 60 fat, 120 protein, I got the carbs to say 135g by changing the value to 45%. That leaves the fat and protein left to change. So I then changed the protein to 40% so it says 120. Now all I have left to change is the fat...but it's stuck at 15% which is only 20 grams. How do I change it to 60g if I can't have a percentage over 100?

I just changed it back to 45/25/30 because I got frustrated and I just wanted the carbs to show up correctly, at least so I can keep an eye on it all day.
  • rose313
    Options
    double post
  • SideSteel
    Options

1550 calories
    130 carbohydrate
    60 fat
    120 protein

Just curious...presuming weight loss is the goal and she is already on a deficit enough to lose weight, what would rationalize going down to almost 35% in carbs and fats for a 70% in total from them? If exercising, won't that be too taxing not having enough carbs to fuel the workout, cause fatigue or lack of quick energy? Just wondering why go so low on the primary energy source, i.e. carbs.

Thanks.

Given her stats and caloric intake I set her protein to 1.6 g/kg and fats roughly at .35g/lb with the rest in carbs. Increasing protein can potentially benefit lbm retention and satiety during the diet. Increase in TEF being a side benefit.

Given her stats my opinion is that the listed intake is a very reasonable place to start.
  • rose313
    Options
    Does anyone know why the percentage drop down menus won't let me change my goals to 130/60/120? I know in the original thread it said basically not to worry about percentages but I like everything to line up correctly.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Does anyone know why the percentage drop down menus won't let me change my goals to 130/60/120? I know in the original thread it said basically not to worry about percentages but I like everything to line up correctly.

MFP requires you to make changes in 5% increments. You can get as close as you can, or you can search the forums/google for the download that allows you to change it to the gram. I don't have it handy at the moment but it exists.
  • rose313
    Options
    That's great to know, thank you, I'll find it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Increase or decrease Protein % to make the fat grams close to what they should be.

Then increase or decrease the Carb % to make the protein grams close to what they should be.

At that point, carbs is done too.
  • mnsmov15
    mnsmov15 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    OP,

please search the forums for Macro enhancements
    There is a bookmark link which can be used from macro page on MFP - I have used it and it helps to increase the C/P/F macro in single grams.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Locking for admin purposes. Please do not hesitate to PM either myself or SideSteel, including a link to this thread, and we will unlock so you can do so.
This discussion has been closed.