Into the Home Stretch!

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You can also set your own goal, Tammy, if that works better. I had a 60 mile goal for running this month that I had reset to 50 when I figured that 60 wasn't happening. Not making either (maybe 40), due to my knee, but resetting the goal gave me motivation even after the first goal wasn't possible.

I overdid it yesterday at my strength training and was useless for anything physical the rest of the day (fine now). That creates a problem, because I should have an off day today, but I didn't get to swim and I really want to, especially after Rachael's posts reminding me how fun it is (plus, again, access to that hot tub). I'm just going to see how I feel later.

I am not taking supplements for my knee, just icing it--will have to read about that. It's largely feeling better, though not right, and is still worrying me because both yesterday and the day before I was happily walking quickly on some errands and it did a mild version of what it did when I was running--kind of click and then start feeling worse. Now, neither time has it started hurting badly, like when I was running and had to stop, but both times it started feeling weird and kind of clicking and feeling off while I was walking so that I had to slow way down. This is my excuse for why I've been walking less the last couple of days, I guess. Knees make me nervous--it's likely it's just related to a muscle imbalance or overtraining or something else that will be okay in a few days, but I've decided if it doesn't improve by Friday or Monday I might call a doctor (I'm way overdue for an appointment anyway, since I hate seeing doctors and figure they will just tell me that I'm overweight, which of course I know--bad attitude, yes).
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Figured I'd split this into two since I have a habit of writing too much. Hope no one minds.

Sue, so glad the Fitbit fix worked!

Rachael, that's really great that you are into downhill skiing. I actually agree that it's more fun (one of my reasons for not cross country skiing for years is that it was boring--in part because I'd been trained to just focus on trying to go fast and I never could, particularly--it's only in recent years that it seems a fun alternative for hiking in the winter). I used to ski in high school and college, but the last time I've gone was years ago, at Alpine Valley, Michigan, which is in a flat area near Detroit and basically built on a garbage dump, if memory serves. I liked it since it was pretty much geared for non-advanced skiers!

I think the idea of individual goals going forward could work. Maybe for June we could all pick an hour based goal--either for exercise or for a particular activity or combination of activities that we want to focus on. That way if we want to change up what we are doing and give ourselves incentives to do that, we can. Then we can support each other in reaching our individual goals.

I love this group because it's focused on activity and not just weight or even calories (although of course I'm trying hard to lose weight too). I've done a couple of other challenges (the running mile thing plus a bike mile goal that I will make, barring disaster), but those were just post your progress threads and not groups where we could talk in more detail.
  • LosingItWithGod
    Options
    Ill give it a whirl. Ill have to do a bit more today and tomorrow because I have a few meetings on Friday.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Been going back and forth about whether to take an off day today, but I think it makes the most sense to do so. What's frustrating about this is that it's going to be tough to even get my normal walking in because of my knee. But here goes my attempt!
  • suejoker
    suejoker Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hey, Strong Women!

I just finished dinner and am contemplating switching out one of my planned snacks for something with more caloric. I'm really hungry tonight and I've got plenty left... I just walked today, because I had to go into the office. I also walked 16 floors! The building I work in was built in the 20's and is very charming, but has no elevators. Just to get to the front door, you have to go up a long, spiral staircase.

Stephanie, it might be time to get the knee looked at. If it's hurting enough to stop you from normal walking, there could be a serious problem you don't want to exacerbate.

I'd rather focus on a # of calories burned in June, because I'm actually dialing back the number of minutes. Would that work for everyone?
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Sure, I'm game for calories burned! Have never really tracked 'em before, so it'll be interesting to see.

Today I logged 2 hours of yoga and badminton...which was totally fun! So, 19.5 hours to date and 4.5 to go with 3 days to fit them into! I think I can, I think I can....

When this rain stops, I'm gonna have some serious mowing to do, and then there's yoga, and some more Zumba......yes, I think it can be done!

Okay Warrior Women.....push on, but take real good care of those knees and feet.....and backs! Do what you can, and leave the rest!

Sweet dreams!
  • Peacockbutterfly
    Peacockbutterfly Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hello warrior women! I hope everyone is well. I have been having a stressful week at work and have been feeling a bit lethargic but I'm still plugging away. Today I got in 2 workouts and have 180 active minutes all together. I did my first fitness class at my new gym. It was tough for me but basic and I made it through everything except for doing push-ups. I gave it my all but my wrist is just not able to bend well because of an injury and my arms are not strong enough to compensate. All in all I loved the class and plan to make that part of my routine. The class is every Wednesday morning and I should have no problem attending, I was also about to watch a Zumba class in session and it seemed like so much fun. People were all fitness/dance levels and it seemed more about moving at all then being great at it so I may try that out also. I also got back to the pool today. I had a blast and actually think I am noticing a difference from the swimming in my muscle definition.

Ok so my total as of this evening is 1571 active minutes or 26.18 hours! I am happy I made it past the goal! My goal for myself is 30 hours and I do think I will accomplish this but I will have to stay on top of myself to make sure this happens in the next two days. I think I'm going to have an early night tonight so I get up early ready to move :)
  • Peacockbutterfly
    Options
    I actually had to take another walk so my dog could pee lol I totally forgot. Well I got an extra 9 active minutes out of it so that's good.
  • suejoker
    Options
    Oh, Susan! You have crushed this challenge! You didn't realize how fit you are!

Rachael, I knew you'd go way beyond 24 hours! You can't help yourself;) And, now you've got the great new gym to play in! I hope you remembered your air drum set.

I'm at 23:13, as of tonight. When I got home, I thought about having a dance party, but then I remembered that I'm supposed to taking it easy this week. It's been tough to change gears, but I think it's what my body really needs. Instead, I did some work on my school and then had a delicious dinner with 2 desserts!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Those desserts looked amazing!

I'm at 23:24 (decided to count the regular half mile each way walk from my house to the el, since I count commuting when I bike), so will surpass 24 when I ride my bike to work in a few minutes. I also need just under 16.5 miles to finish my 150 mile cycling goal, which I think I can get today too.

My knee held up better yesterday, so I got some walking in after work (went to Whole Foods and then walked a bit to finish my 10,000 steps). It doesn't hurt, really, but when I forget and start walking too fast/vigorously it has a tendency to kind of click and then feel funny/uncomfortable, which is bothering me because I have no sense of what it might mean. Anyway, I'll give it until Monday (since it's improving) and call someone if it continues.

Calories are fine with me for the next challenge. It will be an incentive to try and get a better handle on what I really think I'm burning.
  • suejoker
    Options
    Happy Thursday, Warrior Women!

I'm having a very leisurely start to my day, planning my food, drinking coffee, and listening to music. This is the first day all week that I've been able to start slowly, so I'm in heaven. I think I'll do yoga, before I have breakfast. Then, I have a fair amount of walking to do to get to a couple of appointments, this afternoon. So, that will be my exercise for the day. This is day 12 of my weight not dropping significantly. I'm praying for patience.

Stephanie, that's so great that you're going to finish your 150 mile cycling goal! I think that clicking noise in your knee could be a lack of cartilage. That's what some MFP friends shared with me, when my knee was making funny noises. That's part of why I started taking that supplement that promotes new cartilage formation. We're both eating a lot of the food that promotes cartilage formation, so I didn't know what else to do!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Did 1:28 this morning, so I have completed my 24!

Sue, I looked up glucosamine, and apparently it is derived from the shells of crabs and lobsters. Probably not the same thing, but maybe this means I should just go have some soft shell crab? It's in season. (I like my prescriptions.)
  • suejoker
    Options
    Stephanie, I think that's an excellent idea! I love soft shell crab. I could eat it every day, if I could afford it;)

After some cleaning and a walk, I also have completed my 24 hours! I'm at 24:53 and I'll see how much I can do by the end of Saturday. It's really odd to be trying to do less. If you would have told me 6 months ago that I'd be having a hard time exercising less than 2 hours/day, I would've fallen on the ground laughing!

I'm thinking about what number of calories I'm going to shoot for burning in June...
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Well, today I logged 80 minutes but I'm gonna claim 90 minutes just cause......I usually only log really active times and most often round down......like I'm not using a stop watch here or logging every step. How's this: I'll claim the extra 10 minutes for getting up in the middle of the night, coming down stairs, out the door, down the path to the barn to get the cut-off milk jugs, that have been strung up on a piece of bailing twine and hanging from a nail.....back up the path to the main garden, undo the knot in the twine, and carefully place a jug on each tomato plant, tucking the leaves up inside......close the gate and back to the house. I will have to climb back up the stairs when I'm ready to crawl back into bed and under the covers! Ok, 10 minutes....done!

All for a total of 21 hours in this challenge! Goodnight, gals......sleep tight!
  • suejoker
    Options
    Oh, MFP Warrior Women! You make this weight loss journey so much fun! Well, you probably already saw that my scale started moving again! YAY!!! I'll definitely be doing a happy dance, after I'm properly caffeinated. It was scary to eat more and exercise less, but my gut said that was the right thing to do. I'm glad it actually worked.

Susan, you are so amazing! 21 hours is probably a low estimation of what you've done in this last 2 weeks. Thanks so much for the detailed description of your late night gardening outing;)

I sat down with my numbers again and decided to reset my MFP goal to lose 1 pound/week and just burn the other pound. So, now my calorie goal is 1420 and my weekly exercise calorie goal is 3500. It was when my exercise burn jumped over 3500 that I had a weight loss stall, so I'm going to try to keep it moderate and focus on the calories, rather than the minutes. Since most of my exercise is walking, I can rely on Map My Walk to give me pretty accurate burns. Fitbit & I are still figuring each other out.

So, I, Joking Warrior Woman, commit to burning 14,000 calories in June! Seriously. No joking. Really. How about you?
  • amethyst70
    amethyst70 Posts: 68
    Options
    Hi Ladies. I'm out of this challenge due to a 2nd degree burn on my leg and Drs. Orders to stay off of it. :( I will most likely get a late start on next challenge as well, but I'm still in.

You ladies all inspire me and are doing awesome!!! Keep on being Warriors!!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Oh, so sorry about the burn! Having to stay off it is a bummer, but perhaps it means you'll be able to start up again feeling all rested and fresh!

I'm feeling frustrated with my own body at the moment, although I'm overreacting as there are still a lot of things I can do.

My knee got better to a point but I'm scared if I try to run on it again, even with one of those brace things, it will get hurt worse, and I don't want to do that. Plus, whenever I forget and start walking naturally (which tends to be fast), it feels unstable and does that pop/click thing and then hurts worse for a bit. Also, it's weird turning corners. So I feel like it's not really bad enough to see a doctor, but as it is I don't feel like it's getting better and don't know to what extent I need to be resting it or whatever or perhaps doing exercises or stretches. I dithered and then went ahead and made an appointment, but it won't be for a couple of weeks and I'm afraid I'll look stupid.

I've also apparently started getting extertion headaches when I play with heavy (for me) weights, which was something I was concerned about earlier in the week, and it seems this also is a just lay off for a couple of weeks thing (according to my trainer and also the internet), which is so frustrating and I'm afraid I'll lose all my strength gains.

Fortunately I can walk reasonably well without pain and bike plenty and I assume swim (going tonight), but this (plus, admittedly, TOM) is putting me in a down mood. Especially since I was really excited to start training for another race.

Sigh, just wanted to vent. I will focus on what I can do and (of course) eating really well (though right now I want a cookie).

Anyway, 3500 calories/week sounds like a great goal, which I will adopt.
  • Peacockbutterfly
    Options
    Hello all! Today was another fun and active day for me. I actually used the weight machines that my trainer taught me to use by myself. I was so proud of myself actually going for it. I finished off my workout with so e treadmill intervals and when I was almost done I closed my eyes for a second and almost fell of the freaking treadmill. Luckily, I didn't but I did hurt my foot a little bit I think. It's sore and saying I'm clumsy. I do have another training session I decided to book for this Sunday. I am going to have him help me devise a solid weight training plan to do on days I will not do cardio. I know I am over-doing the cardio at this point but it's hard to give up because it reduces my anxiety.

Anyway, I am up to 1833 active minutes or 30.55 hours! I hit my goal! I would be doing a happy dance but my foot would prefer I skip it. It says it's tired from all this activity lol.

Enough about me, Amethyst70 I'm so sorry about your burn. That is awful! I do hope you ok and wish you a speedy recovery!

Lemurcat12, I'm sorry about your knee and headaches. It can be really hard if you want to be active to not do it because of injury. I injured my knee in Febuary and I was walking 10 miles a day on it when I could barely bend it. Not so smart but I'm super stubborn. Do your best to rest!

I do like a calorie burn challenge. I have to think about my goal some.
  • suejoker
    Options
    Good Evening, Lovely Warriors!

I don't know why, but I'm super tired tonight. I spent all day at home, only had light administrative work to do, and only intentionally exercised for 42 minutes. I'm seriously FULL, too. I couldn't even finish my dinner. It is a heavy one, but I am stuffed to the gills! I think I need to put my extra calories earlier in the day, because now I can't imagine eating more later.

It was nice to stay home and just do yoga & a little dancing. I figured I needed to save up my exercise burn for my long walk tomorrow. I love walking to the farmers market, so I'm going to keep that going. I'm at 25:35 today and will probably add a couple of hours tomorrow. Ooh! I also have an information session for my new school tomorrow, but that's pretty close by.

Tonya, I'm so sorry about your burn. That's horrible that you got benched for a couple of weeks, but try to milk it when your husband's home. Let him wait on you!

Stephanie, what a bummer that your knee's still acting funny. If I were you, I'd ice it and elevate it, whenever I was sitting down. I used to get so depressed the night before my TOM. Then, I'd be fine. Strange, huh? I'm sorry your hormones are still wreaking havoc with your emotions. I think I'm officially done menstruating. Hooray!

Rachael, your foot is loud tonight! Poor, little foot. Rachael didn't mean to hurt you! She'll buy you a new shoe, if you heal quickly;) I've noticed that cardio is a good anxiety killer. 30 HOURS! YOU ROCK!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    This gym is working out so well for you, Rachael! Hope the foot turns out to be no big deal.

I'm going to be really busy at work for the next couple weeks, so maybe the running/weights layoff is a good thing. It's funny--and I think related to what you were talking about a few posts ago, Sue--that not being able to do my usual workouts and push to increase them seems like such a terrible thing. Last night after I swam and ate and was feeling better my mind started coming up with all these ideas about how I could run if I just got a brace or wrapped the knee (I might try this, don't know) and how maybe I should do a Jillian Michaels DVD or T-25 instead of weights, etc, yadda, yadda.

I think what I will do is focus on biking and now swimming, and otherwise walk instead of run, use a brace to see if that deals with the instability when walking fast, and maybe see if I can go back to my lighter weights and old routine without headaches, but take it quite easy.