In place of bread crumbs?

Options
ChoiceNotChance
ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
What do you guys use in place of bread crumbs? Say you want to make a meatloaf or hamburgers. Usually, bread crumbs or moist bread would go in. What do you use to replace them?

Replies

• ixchel78
    ixchel78 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Flax seed is great for adding into things like a meatloaf, but if you are adding egg as well go easy on the flax seeds. For a 1 lb meatloaf I add 1 egg and about 2 TBS of flax seeds and it comes out very moist.

For bread crumb coating, I would recommend crushed pork rinds.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    My favorite Betty Crocker recipe from this super old book calls for cubed bread. Now I put in some really finely chopped mushrooms, celery and carrots. I haven't done it but I wonder if some cooked red beans might do the trick too of binding and adding some moisture to the meatloaf.

If you're using the "bread" as a coating then crushed pork rinds works well or some pork rinds plus almond flour.
  • wtimbrell
    wtimbrell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It might sound weird, but I use deli grated parmesan cheese in place of fine bread crumbs in meatballs, meatloaf, cabbage rolls....and it all holds together just fine!

=)
  • Caeyla
    Caeyla Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I use crushed pork rinds and/or grated parmesan too. Makes a great "breading" for chicken tenders!

Edited to add: Just looked at some meatloaf recipes here: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/burger_recipes.html
    They all seem to call for 2+ ounces of cheese per pound of ground beef, with nothing that looks like a crumb replacement.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses. :love:
  • Deborah105
    Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    One thing I've used in meatloaf many times that is very bread-like is eggplant. First sweat it with salt, then bake it with olive or coconut oil. Cube it finely and fix into the meat. It is fantastic!
  • bchavis2012
    bchavis2012 Posts: 10
    Options
    At my grocery store (wegmans) they sell a lite wheat bread that is only 5 or 6 carbs a slice. That wouldn't make a big difference in a whole meatloaf.