Meltdown

Options
oelap
oelap Posts: 1 Member
I started Paleo 12 days ago. I lost 5 lbs in the first week. I have been pretty good and strict with it. I had a very emotional day yesterday and had a bit of a food meltdown between last night and today - eating everything I have not allowed myself to have and then some...ice cream/pizza....ugh. The reason I am sharing is to see if anyone else had experienced any set backs within the first few weeks and if so...how did you deal with them. Thanks so much!

Replies

• Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hi! I eased into it super S-L-O-W-L-Y (like, I would say a month before my diary started looking really clean), so I didn't feel very deprived of stuff and didn't feel a great need to eat all the food. Ha!

Anyway, I just did a super strict, almost Whole 30, but not quite because I ate bacon, cream, and butter. Anyway, I decided I would allow myself to indulge for my husband's birthday (which coincided with Memorial Day), and I ate all the things. Ha. I felt fine at first, but a couple of days later, I felt like crap and was experiencing serious cravings for everything.

In my opinion, there's no point beating yourself up about it. Just get back to eating as clean as you can as soon as you can. Although this may be a terrible analogy to use, given the Crossfitters among us, life is a marathon, not a sprint...
  • caloriesrule
    caloriesrule Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Jenny-Rose, I looked at your diary. Would you have easy access to that cheeseburger casserole recipe? that sounds amazing!! :-)
  • caloriesrule
    Options
    I have things like that happen all the time. I'm a work in progress when it comes to eating clean. For me the most important thing is to keep trying.
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Jenny-Rose, I looked at your diary. Would you have easy access to that cheeseburger casserole recipe? that sounds amazing!! :-)

It was a hybrid of this:

http://popularpaleo.com/2013/12/17/twice-baked-cheeseburger-spaghetti-squash/

And this:

http://paleomg.com/almost-5-ingredient-pizza-spaghetti-pie/

I used all the ingredients in the first one. What I changed is that I used beef ground with bacon. I used two eggs and about 3 oz of cheddar cheese to turn it into a casserole. Oh...and I baked the tomato in the casserole. I also chopped up a pickle and put that in there too. It really tasted GOOD. My husband is not particularly into clean-eating and he has gone on at length about how he hates spaghetti squash. But he loved this. I consider it a coup!
  • caloriesrule
    Options
    Jenny-Rose, thank you so much for taking the time to describe the recipe to me! I am going to try it soon!
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Yup. I've been 'mostly paleo' for at least 6 months and I still get emotional about it sometimes. Especially since my family eats at a restaurant once a week and I open the menu and think "I can't eat any of the things I used to love!" Cheating does make me sick, though, so that's actually quite helpful. I've managed to overcome it a little by finding "splurge" items I can adapt to paleo ingredients (chocolate cake, burgers, my favorite restaurant salad) and treat myself with those when I'm feeling deprived. Good luck - you're totally not alone.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I have many ups and downs but was very strict in the first year. Since I need to be ketogenic, I have to be. Get a really strong base so that you are well entrenched in this lifestyle and know how to recognize when you feel great and when a food makes you feel not great. It's easier to turn away from a food when you know it makes you sick.

You will find things easier if you make better choices with your treats. For instance, on my really hungry days I might eat as much meat/fat as I want. I let myself have organic popcorn occasionally. On vacation I allow myself "all you can eat" steaks and salads while camping or at cottage, along with child size portions of ice cream occasionally.

The one thing I never do is eat wheat. Never. I'll eat pizza toppings, but I don't ever eat that crust. It's the only way to ensure that I stay feeling awesome and don't ever return to sick/fat/dying. I might gain a few pounds here and there, but as long as I don't eat wheat it's minimal and it's so much easier to get back on track.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Yup. I've been 'mostly paleo' for at least 6 months and I still get emotional about it sometimes. Especially since my family eats at a restaurant once a week and I open the menu and think "I can't eat any of the things I used to love!" Cheating does make me sick, though, so that's actually quite helpful. I've managed to overcome it a little by finding "splurge" items I can adapt to paleo ingredients (chocolate cake, burgers, my favorite restaurant salad) and treat myself with those when I'm feeling deprived. Good luck - you're totally not alone.

One of the biggest keys to success when restricting food items is mindset. It really will make or break you, and it's the biggest factor in the divide between the people who are forced into gluten free and those who had more choice in the matter.

Stop thinking in terms of "I can't eat that," and start thinking in terms of "I don't want to eat that/I don't want to deal with the consequences of eating that." It turns it into a conscious choice, which is hugely empowering.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest keys to success when restricting food items is mindset. It really will make or break you, and it's the biggest factor in the divide between the people who are forced into gluten free and those who had more choice in the matter.

Stop thinking in terms of "I can't eat that," and start thinking in terms of "I don't want to eat that/I don't want to deal with the consequences of eating that." It turns it into a conscious choice, which is hugely empowering.

This is so true. I've said "I don't eat..." so often that I just don't want things anymore. It is all mind games!