UK Low carb substitute suggestions

Options
debsfran
debsfran Posts: 97 Member
Hi all
New to the group/low carbs. I struggle daily with carb in take and need some suggestions for alternatives for things like rice, pasta, bread, preferably UK items that are easily sourced from shops like Tesco, Morrisons,Asda.

Replies

• kathicooks
    kathicooks Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    there are a ton of cauliflower recipes out there and that's a good substitute for many carby foods. Try cauliflower rice, cauliflower mashed potatoes, cauliflower pizza crust. Do a quick search and you'll be surprised at all you find. I have never found a great sub for bread, but oopsie rolls are pretty good and surely you can get egg whites and cream cheese anywhere.
  • debsfran
    debsfran Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    there are a ton of cauliflower recipes out there and that's a good substitute for many carby foods. Try cauliflower rice, cauliflower mashed potatoes, cauliflower pizza crust. Do a quick search and you'll be surprised at all you find. I have never found a great sub for bread, but oopsie rolls are pretty good and surely you can get egg whites and cream cheese anywhere.

thanks for this.
  • karryann2008
    karryann2008 Posts: 140
    Options
    I use cos/romaine lettuce leaves instead of bread wraps. cauliflower is a great sub for rice, I just grate it then microwave. Also I use barenaked noodles and slim rice from holland and barratt. Both are very low carb sub(all fibre)
  • Moogle_Powah
    Moogle_Powah Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It requires a bit of baking but Asda sell packets of almond flour which you can use to make little flat breads/cookies with. When I make my cookies I do it on a Sunday and make enough for the week to have at breakfast with a creamy coffee :) I make it sweet by adding sweeteners and very dark chocolate. To make them savoury you would need to add cheese.

If you go to r/keto on Reddit you will be able to find lots of recipes and idea there too :)
  • LondonSuz
    LondonSuz Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Part of it for me has been getting used to the fact I don't need potatoes/rice/pasta/bread to complete a meal. Now I'm starting to get my head around that and change my way of thinking it helps and I try to meal plan for the week with foods that will still hold my interest!
    So it wasn't really about substituting them (and possibly feeling hard done by as the subs will never be the same) but by making sure there were tasty other things on my plate so didn't miss the 'white' carbs.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Part of it for me has been getting used to the fact I don't need potatoes/rice/pasta/bread to complete a meal.

+1

Faux carb substitutes don't do it for me, and you aren't going to find them at a sensible price in a big supermarket.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I bought almond flour and coconut flour from an online Asian supermarket, and even including delivery it was way cheaper than at local stores.

These flours are great for times when you just want something bread-y.

I also use cauliflower to make rice and mash.