June Calorie Burn--Name Your Goal Here

Options
suejoker
suejoker Posts: 317 Member
Hi, Warrior Women!

June is bustin' out all over! I just realized the younger people here may not get that corny musical reference. Oh, well. It's just for me and the other grandmas. My exercise goal for June is to burn 3500 calories/week, for a total of 14,000. What's going to be hard for me is to limit myself in this way. But, I need to remind myself that burning 4500 calories/week and not eating enough calories stalled my weight loss. Maybe, as I get used to eating more calories, I can slowly increase my calorie burn. But, that won't be happening in June.

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Not necessary, but because I get motivated by toys and numbers, I've downloaded some new apps to try--starting with run keeper, which is not just for running it seems, and decided to get a HRM. Part of the reason for the latter is I don't trust the calorie counts for some activities (biking) and I'm curious.

I'm doing 3500/week too. Seeing if I can shift to consistently burning 1 lb through exercise and one through calorie cutting is appealing to me.
  • LosingItWithGod
    Options
    Ill get on here tonight and make my goals known, when my brain is working a bit better and I'm awake!
  • Fiona2703
    Fiona2703 Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm going to aim for 3500 a week. Seems a reasonable and doable amount.
  • schnicklefritz1
    schnicklefritz1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I am new to the group and not sure what kind of goals I am supposed to post. Is it exercise, calorie, calories burned? Or anything? I am 270 pounds, 45 years old and becoming desperate to get in shape. I have asthma which in the past has dragged me down, but I am finally being medicated what I hope is properly and I can get to getting…my first downfall…food. I love food. My second downfall…I work out too hard, get too sore, and I quit. My third downfall is my job, I started a new job recently and I sit all day…it drives me nuts. I get up and march in place or walk back in forth in my little area as frequently as I can, but 8 hours of boredom…I come home and I am mentally spent from boredom. So I have to figure that out.

I have been the moderator/designer of a monthly exercise group on FB since January or February and I feel like such a hypocrite because while I always start strong, I never finish them. I ALWAYS try to continue to cheer on every one else, but I just feel like a big fat liar, because I am not doing it and I feel like I am letting them all down.

Today started my new June Challenge and I am already done with the work out today, with the exception of the walking for 5 minutes…it is raining here today, but I am going to go grocery shopping. I am also (at 270 pounds) studying to get my NETA certified trainers license….I love helping people, but the hypocrite thing kicks in there too. If I cannot control myself, how can I lead by example?

So, that is my story folks…. Perhaps you are now regretting allowing me in to the group…LOL. Just kidding, I am hoping to get the support I need (it is hard to find in my day to day life, I think my friends like me to be fat and don’t want me to get skinny) and that I can learn from others as well.

What are some suggestions of different goals people are have been setting. I am anxious to get going. I like short term goals…..I am best with those.

BTW...my name is Jodi...no need to have to write out schnicklefritz when talking to me. LOL
  • suejoker
    Options
    Hey, Warrior Women!

I'm feeling pretty chipper, considering my weight was up .6lbs, this morning. I'm just accepting that I may gain weight, as I try to make friends with my body again, by fueling it properly for my new fitness level. It was fine with 1200 calories, when I sat around all day. But, now that I'm more active, it wants more food. One thing's for sure, I do load it with premium fuel, even when I give it too little. That avocado ice cream last night was fantastic! I wasn't sure if it would be good with nonfat half & half and stevia (I grew up with the Filipino kind that uses condensed milk). Sunday's my rest day, so I probably won't do much except yoga for exercise.

Stephanie, I feel like you're my weight loss twin! We like the same food and we love to exercise so much that we pout when we have to slow down;) So, it makes sense we have the same calorie burn goal for June.

Tammy, I'm so glad you're still with us. I love your spirit and think you are KICKING @SS at this weight loss thing and have learned so much so quickly.

Fiona, WELCOME! You are one of my favorite MFP friends and I am super excited that you'll be here. You've really been making huge strides with your fitness. I can't even keep up!

Jodi, I am so glad that Stephanie invited you to be a Warrior Woman! You sound like you have the right stuff. Asthma is a drag and most definitely can interfere with your exercise plans, so I'm glad you're properly medicated. Breathing has to come before anything! This month, our group is focusing on # of calories burned. So, you can pick whatever number feels like a reasonable challenge for you. We don't want anyone to hurt themselves or anything. We (probably me the most) also discuss related health & fitness topics and go a lot deeper than most groups I've seen. That's probably why I started this group. I don't feel like I get much from superficial posts about how many minutes people have exercised. Anyway, sorry to ramble on. Pick a # that feels good for you. I like to under promise and over deliver, but do what works for you. Message me, if you want to discuss your work/boredom problem. I would find that situation untenable and may have some ideas for you.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Hi, Jodi--glad you made it over here!

Like Sue said, the focus right now is meeting a goal that you think works for you of # of calories burned per week. I'm probably going to set some more specific goals too (like swim 3 times per week), especially until I figure out the best way to count my calories. One reason we went with calories, though, was that through the MFP system everyone has a way too track them and can compete against themselves.

One thing I like about the weekly goal here is that if a week doesn't work out for whatever reason it's easy to learn from it and refocus. You don't have to worry about blowing an early week and then not being able to make the goal and losing motivation for the rest of the month. My schedule in June is going to make a couple of weeks (especially the one starting a week from today) particularly challenging, so I find this appealing.

Also, like Sue says, we just can talk about what works for us and challenges and so on. It sounds like you will have a lot to contribute.
  • ItsJustBeka
    ItsJustBeka Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi all! So glad to be a part of this group and have another avenue of support :) I will be aiming to burn 4000/week. I'm not exactly well educated when it comes to diet and exercise, so I'm learning everything by trial and error! Will see how this goes and adjust from there... Good luck to everyone!!!
  • Peacockbutterfly
    Peacockbutterfly Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hello Warrior Women and especially our new members. I'm Rachael and I'm glad you joined! We had a good couple of weeks in May and now I'm ready to start a new challenge.

I have been thinking about what my challenge will be for a few days and I'm not sure if I want to push myself too much calorie wise because I think I may be burning too many calories as opposed to what I'm eating. I very recently started weight training and my weight has been slightly stagnant and I'm considering the possibility that I'm just burning more than I should but it could also just be that I'm building muscle. The jury is still out and I'm just trying my best to go with the flow.

I was also unsure if I was going to count the calories burned as per my Fitbit or just from my HRM during workouts. I have decided to just count workouts and to go with 4000 calories burned a week also. Last month I burned about 3889 calories/week. I plan to do about a mile and a half less walking in the month of June so I will have more time to dedicate to weight training.

My other challenge for this month will be weight training every other day. I plan to stick to that and re-evaluate next month. I hope everyone has a productive month. I can't wait to see how we do!
  • suejoker
    Options
    Hey, Warrior Women!

I had so much fun, this morning, cleaning the kitchen, doing laundry, and dancing around my apartment. I took a full rest day yesterday, and I think I had a ton of physical energy to expend. This reset process is a trip. I get a little bolder about eating more every day and this morning I woke up to another pound lost. It makes sense, but I'm still dumbfounded!

In addition to eating more, I'm trying to limit my exercise to about 10 hours/week or 3500 calories burned. I hope I don't have to do less than that, because I really enjoy my new strength and stamina.
  • schnicklefritz1
    Options
    Okay, so another question...for those of you using a HRM...Do you wear the monitor ALL DAY...and count the all day Calorie burn? or just count the burn during a specific excercise....so...if I go for a walk...reset the HRM, or if I get on the eleptical...reset the HRM? What are the majority of you doing? I have a Polar something or other with a chest strap and have not used it much because...while I have it all set up...I am not sure the proper way to use it. LOL Isn't that just dumb. It also gets a bit smothering, however, I have not worn it all day ever yet.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts on this.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I just got a HRM, so haven't experimented with it yet. I meant to wear it on my bike ride yesterday but forgot.

I think it doesn't work well for estimating total calorie burn throughout a day or for things like strength training, but is good for any steady state cardio, like walking, running, biking, elliptical, etc.

IMO, we can choose our own way of doing this, but my plan is to count calories burnt in specific exercise. So if I go for a walk I'd count it, but not total through the day. I can see the merits of picking a goal for calories burnt through the day and trying to increase it (essentially trying to give yourself a higher maintenance level), but I don't know if there's a reliable way to count it. With something like a FitBit you could compare totals from day to day and then you wouldn't have to worry about the accuracy of the total, but only that it increases by however many calories from where you start (although you'd have to separately log activities it doesn't count), but I'm not sure if a HRM would work the same way. I suspect I couldn't wear a HRM all day, since if this one is like the one I tried before, the strap around the chest drives me crazy, although I can ignore it during exercise. I definitely couldn't work with it on, however!

I supposedly burnt a lot of calories yesterday in my bike ride, but I'm going to wait to see the calories I get according to my HRM from riding and then revise the ones I got if they prove to be high.
  • suejoker
    Options
    This is tough! Who knew I'd ever have a tough time eating more and exercising less?! I stopped myself from burning a bunch more calories, today. I imagine that it will get easier, as I get used to it. My exercise goal for this month is really more about limiting than challenging, but believe me it's challenging. It is fun to have more room in my calorie budget. If I eat everything I've logged, I'll be up to my BMR. I'm so proud. I think I can do it. I've already net 1079 calories for the day!
  • culo97
    culo97 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the folks joining Warrior Women this month.

I have a friendly response to a few recent posts.
    - Please don't over think or overburden your goals.
    - Keep things simple.
    - The more things (HRM, pedometer, gym visits, driving to the beach, etc.) you add to goals, the faster you'll feel overwhelmed and give up.

If it's been difficult to stay on track to reach goals in the past, consider making goals more focused on just yourself without outside additions like gadgets or machines.
    - For instance, instead of "go to the gym 3 times a week" have a goal like "walk for 20 minutes 3 times a week & go to gym at least 1 time during the week".

Once you're in the groove and have built up your confidence and abilities, THEN you can add more stuff. After all, the goal is to succeed, not to hit some outlandish goals that doesn't match where you are right now.

It's not really fair to compare yourself to people who have been working out for more years and/or put in a lot more hours than you. Imagine someone who's been lifting for a year aiming for the same goals as Arnold Schwarzenegger at the height of his professional bodybuilding career. They probably hate life.

Anyway, I'm done with that soapbox.

My June goal is to average bike riding 10 miles a week. I've been averaging between 3-12 miles a week during 2014, so I think it's a good stretch goal.
  • aroaden1983
    aroaden1983 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am new to the group. Thanks for the invite Sue! I think I will set my goal to burn 3500 calories this week. I think it sounds reasonable and it will also help me track how much I can do. If this sounds too high/low...someone please let me know. Give me some tips! Good luck Warrior Women!!!

P.S. Love the pic of Michonne...she is my role model! :)
  • schnicklefritz1
    Options
    I am still working on things for the week…the way I am going…my goal needs to be to stay under my calorie count, to get my bike out of the basement (it is not doing me any good down there) and to use the elliptical that sits in the basement for 5 minutes every day. That is my goal through Friday. There it is now written word.

I am hoping to go away this weekend and I am terrified of going. I would be going to a farm where my horse is living right now and it is not normally a food healthy place. I stay there when I go down and things just do not work out well food wise. I DO however, get lots of walking in, barn cleaning etc. So that is a plus. But I am not sure that the calories burned vs calorie eaten is in line. LOL We go out to eat almost every meal and the fact that I am outside all day and working…I get so darn hungry…but I normally have a weight gain when I come home from there. I do swell up and retain a lot of water over my weekend trips too and it takes a few days for that to all get out of my system, the 4+ hour drive one way just kills my water retention.

Anyway…so goals…..to get the bike out of the basement and get air in the tires, use the elliptical 5 minutes or more every day, do my daily work outs from a group I am, and to try to stay under 1800 calories. Yikes…that is actually asking for a lot from me. This is going to go, Tuesday through Friday. So….4 days…I can do 4 stinking days….Right? AUGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hope you are all doing well and having a great Tuesday!!!!!!!!!!!
  • suejoker
    Options
    Happy Tuesday, Warriors!

Jodi, you are so funny! Thanks for joining our merry little band:) If that many goals feels overwhelming, why not simplify? If staying under your calorie goal is still hard, I'd focus on that first. It sounds like you're going to get plenty of exercise this weekend. How great that you have a horse!

Aroaden1983, thanks for joining us! I think 3500 calories/week is reasonable, but what are you used to burning? I think the ideal number is one that will stretch you a bit, but not so much that you're hurting yourself. Oh, Michonne! She is something else, isn't she? Hey, what's your first name?

Culo, thanks for your calm and logical input. I agree that we can go a little extreme with goals, sometimes. I like your 10 miles/week goal and look forward to moving in August, so I can have a bike too!

For those of you following my reset process, I did it! I managed to eat above my BMR yesterday, in spite of a 604 calorie burn. I think that I overdid that fiber, so I took that into account in today's meal plans.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Yeah, baby steps is a good plan. I was listening to some podcast about goal setting and they were focusing on how goals should be really specific and not too much. You get one down and then go on to the next. I know that's been a pitfall for me in the past; trying to do too much and then not really doing any of them well.

Jodi, I'm sure a lot of it is gaining water weight from going out so much, but maybe one small thing to make it easier? Logging, if at all possible, but also maybe (throwing out ideas) saying you will eat only 75% of your restaurant meals? I know that's hard for a lot of people because they were taught it's wasteful. Or some small change in what you order if possible, I dunno. The exercise there sounds great, anyway.

I'm obsessing about this HRM thing just because I'm curious what I actually am burning, but for the time being the MFP counts allow for comparison and that's my real focus--getting my overall activity up. So I am going to add my MFP totals (however they end up being calculated) to my spreadsheet (I love spreadsheets, it's a sickness!).

The way I figure it is I'd like to push my swimming minutes up to 45 min at a time by the end of this week (I'm at 35 mins now--swimming always puts me in a great mood afterwards, but it's almost too meditative for me while I'm doing it, heh). And then ideally to 60 mins the following week. I'd also like to make sure I ride my bike 4 times a week, with at least one longer ride on the weekend. I did a long ride on Sunday already, so my goal now is to ride 3 times between now and Saturday.

Oh, and on other matters, why don't we have fresh strawberries yet where I live? I want some!
  • schnicklefritz1
    Options
    Lemur-I love that I am not the only person that obsesses over things...I drive ME crazy some times. I am curious to hear about your HRM experience as well. I think tomorrow when I do the elliptical I am going to put mine on and see what it comes up with. My HR was at 155+ during my 5 minute jaunt on the elliptical...so I am sure I burned something. I feel like a dork having such tiny goals for working out...but I ALWAYS...set goals way to high, I either don't make them and get mad, or I make them at the cost of much pain and agony and get mad....regardless, the end result is the same...I quit.

So today...I walked for 10 mins, elliptical for 5, 5,000+ steps and 10 + flights of stairs (fitbit info) and I also did some weight training as well. Starting small...working up. I run a workout group on Facebook and the first 3 days are easy peasy...but since I added some extra weight or whatever...I can feel it in my legs. SIlly things like 20 arm circles forwards and backwards....10 ab pulses....10 hip abductions each leg ( I used our weight machine ) and every day they have to walk....first 5 minutes, then I keep advancing it. I have been "working out" most of my life on and off....many of my peeps have not...so I start easy and add and half way through the month I hope that at least half of them are hanging in. LOL

I am so happy I was invited to the group....I feel at home and happy here....even though I am at 270 pounds....I know we are all doing the same thing....no matter what the weight is and no matter if we are beginners or have been working out a long time....I love this group...did I mention that?

Lemur....hope you get your bike fixed....good luck tomorrow and I can not wait to here how things go for you..... MY GOALS ARE CHECKED FOR THE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • culo97
    culo97 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    The way I figure it is I'd like to push my swimming minutes up to 45 min at a time by the end of this week (I'm at 35 mins now--swimming always puts me in a great mood afterwards, but it's almost too meditative for me while I'm doing it, heh). And then ideally to 60 mins the following week. I'd also like to make sure I ride my bike 4 times a week, with at least one longer ride on the weekend. I did a long ride on Sunday already, so my goal now is to ride 3 times between now and Saturday.
    Thanks for your kind words, Sue.

Wooo another bike rider in the bunch. Do you ride on trails or on the street or a mix?

Meditative swimming sounds like a good thing. As long as you aren't training for a competition, why not go with the flow?
  • suejoker
    Options
    Hi, Warrior Women!

I'm feeling all out of balance, because I had to skip my usual morning routine. I had a 7:30am dentist appointment. So, I'm trying to reset my mind, body & spirit and writing to you is the social grounding part of my morning. I've been doing yoga, since I came back in January. I do it pretty regularly, but my balance, flexibility and core strength were so bad at the beginning, that the progress was slow. Today, I'm happy to announce that I managed to do 5 new, advanced poses today! Hurray! The last time I tried them, I had to stop after 1, because I just didn't have the strength, balance, and flexibility to do it. This is also good, because it extends my yoga time and will help fill the void of my old cardio routine. My hope is that once my body recovers from the overexertion and poor fueling, I can do more cardio again. I did get a lot out of it.

Culo, I've been meaning to ask you, is that your puppy in your profile pic? They are so cute!

Jodi, that's wonderful that you have a FB workout group! That'll keep you accountable, right? That's so great that you've been working out most of your life. I just started, at the ripe old age of 48!

Stephanie, I also find swimming meditative. I plan to join a gym with a pool soon, so I can get back into it. I was really lucky, I had an indoor pool growing up, so I swam every day as a child. Did you know that I grew up in Chicago? Boy, were we popular in the Winter. Our pool was heated, of course, and there's nothing like coming in from playing in the snow and jumping into a warm pool!