Huge difference in calories burned

Options
LunaStar2008
LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
Does anyone else have the problem of MFP over estimating your actual calories burned? Maybe that's why I wasn't loosing weight, because I eat more calories back then I thought.
Today I cycled for 196 minutes (43.6 Miles) and my S Health app calculated 993 calories burned, while MFP calculated 2,103 calories. This is a huge difference of over 1,000 calories.

I try not to eat my burned calories back, but sometimes I am more hungry after exercising, or the day after and may exceed my allowed calories.

Anyone having the same issues????

Replies

• LisaPower123
    LisaPower123 Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I think it is a matter of being consistent. I went 4 weeks without losing weight, but doing the same exercise I always do. I decided the average of all those days/weeks was my TDEE. I took that average subtracted 500 calories per day & I have lost 2lbs/ week without starving o struggling,

I think that the calories burned is different for everyone. The only time you need to worry is when you stop losing & you still want to lose more.
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    thanks for replying, but I think you missed the point I am trying to make here.

Different apps to monitor workouts give me different results in calories burned. MFP calculates the most.

I am not looking for dietary advice or questioning intake/output. This threat is about what is the real calories I burned, if different devices gives me different calculations, with even up to over 1,000 calories difference.
  • GKSTcoach
    GKSTcoach Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    When my dietician got me on MFP, she warned me that they do overestimate the calories burned. I use a watch when I swim that estimates based on my heart rate. It automatically uploads for me when I login after a swim. It's usually 100 - 200 calories less than MFP.
  • maureli
    maureli Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I do find the same thing. I have a heart rate monitor that I have used in the past and most apps seemed to give a higher number than the monitor. I also track my running with runkeeper, and it too is higher, but not as high as MFP.
  • summerluno2
    summerluno2 Posts: 313
    Options
    I have definitely noticed that …. on mine and a friend who posts her exercises. For instance, she burns 900 calories when golfing using cart. I don't think with cart that could be the case. Also, I have a few exercises I've done with Nike Fuel band that are extremely different on MFP. I end up seeing what MFP state and what a google search states and create my own and enter it.
  • merlynn
    merlynn Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've seen other threads on this topic. A good rule of thumb that seemed to work for people is to eat back only 1/2 of what MFP says you burned. That way, you are getting more fuel, but not overdoing it with how MFP over-calculates calories burned.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Yep, same here. I use a heart rate monitor, too, and it's always less than MFP or the calories than may be estimated on a cardio machine.