VSG in one week!

I am getting sleeved on June 9th. I am so nervous. I'm hoping to find some friends since only 2 people in my life know about me getting sleeved. I'm currently getting ready and stocking up. I'm freezing my soups and broths in ice cube trays to help with serving sizes. I have some premier protein and isopure rtd. Some unflavored isonatural for savory meals. I have my bariatic vitamins and all set for time off work. I feel like I am going to forget something. I'm just getting cold feet. Mostly about being under anesthesia I think. I'm also nervous because I was only able to take 15 days off work and I have a job where I'm always on my feet and moving around. It's not too strenuous and doesn't require heavy lifting but I'm worried about my endurance.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated. Hopefully it will calm my nerves some :)

Replies

• My surgery date is Wednesday!! I'm so excited and ready to get this show on the road. I too have been stocking up on what I'm going to need after. Do you have to do the pre-op "liver shrink"? I'm on that right now, tomorrow is my last day of it and then I'm on clear liquids only and the bowel cleanse. I'm just ready to start the healing process. Good luck with yours!
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    It sounds like you've gotten just about everything together. Just make sure you get your pain killer and other prescriptions filled pre-surgery if you have that option. I did and it was nice having everything on hand already ready to go.

One tip I do have, is actually to not stock up on protein. Keep some sample packs around for the first week or so until you can drive again. Believe it or not, but your tastes will change after surgery. I found myself not liking things, or my new tummy reacting poorly to foods that I had previously enjoyed. Your entire system goes through a reset, and your body won't like everything you put in your mouth. Just keep an open mind with what you eat!

BTW, I'm 21 months post RNY, so while I didn't exactly have the sleeve, the recovery from the RNY (bypass) and the VSG are fairly similar.

For the first few weeks the most important thing is to DRINK WATER! Constantly sip at it. At times, you will feel full. You will think it's impossible to get your water and protein requirements done during the day. Don't stress it. It's normally to feel full all the time. Just make sure you get your water in! The most common reason for post-op patients to end up back in the hospital is due to dehydration.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    I am also having VSG on 6/9! I am nervous and excited, too. Friend me if you want to and we can keep in touch. Good luck :)
  • mcormier12
    mcormier12 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi everyone.
    I'm not getting my sleeve until August 25th but I am slowly trying to adjust to what I know will be a huge lifestyle change.
    I just got a Fitbit Flex and connected with FP have been wearing it now a week and wow, i can see this really being a big help in achieving protein goals, excercise and making sure I get my water in. I look forward to getting to know you all. Good luck for those of you who have your surgery this week. Let us know how your doing.
  • sashahanrahan
    sashahanrahan Posts: 42 Member
    The VSG was one of the best decisions I've ever made! Hopefully you'll feel the same way! The first two weeks to four weeks after surgery were rough for me, but then I hit the "honeymoon" period and LOVED it. The weight just melted off the first 3 months. Maintain the healthy lifestyle and drink lots of fluids. Keep moving after surgery. Walking is fine and advised. You will feel weak and tired, but walking will help you immensely. Good luck to you!
  • Jlangn01
    Jlangn01 Posts: 1
    Hi I'm getting my sleeve on June 13th and I'm starting to get scared for the surgery, I would love to have some friends here to do this with, I live on the opposite side of the country from my family and friends so any support and knowledge of what you are going through would be appreciated.