Starting Over...Again!

Options
BrandNewAmy
BrandNewAmy Posts: 38 Member
Hello! I just completed Week 1, Day 1 of the C25K program using my iPhone app. I've done this several times in the past but always seem to quit after week 3. (Lots of excuses but I'm leaving them behind!) My goal is to finish this time (including during my Vegas vacation which falls right after week 3...just thought of that. Very odd!). Anyway, my question for those of you who have done this before (specifically on a treadmill but maybe not?) how fast do you walk and how fast do you run? I set my walking pace for 3 MPH and up my running pace to 4 MPH. This seems to work for me, for now, but I'm wondering how others do it? Does anyone increase their running pace as the weeks go on or do you wait until you complete the program to tweak your times? I'm sure this isn't easy to figure out if you aren't on a treadmill, but maybe I'm wrong there too.

Any advice is appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I don't have experience on running on a treadmill, but welcome!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm not a fan of treadmills, incredibly boring, but the big benefit is that you can set your speed and stick with it. The speeds that you identify are as good as any. If you find that 4mph isn't right for you then adjust a bit.

The main thing with paces is what feels right for you as a challenge.

Your running apce should be fast enough to challenge you but slow enough that you can hold a conversation. Not long sentences, but coherent.

It's all a bit subjective really.

In that sense running outside is far easier, as you just run and don't have to worry about messing about with a machine.
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I've always found outside easier, but like to do a treadmill once a week or so to try to get pacing more consistent. Agree with earlier poster that it varies by individual, and that your running should let you still be conversational. You will probably find that the speed creeps up over the first few weeks - and then when you get to the longer ones, you will likely need to slow it back down to be able to stay at it the allotted time.

I think when I first did the program, my running started out between 4 and 4.5 on the treadmill - sometimes I'd do day one at 4, day two at 4.2, day three at 4.5 and then slow down the next week as the distance got longer. The goal right now is really just to keep moving (faster than a walk) for the allotted time. Don't get too caught up in what that specific pace actually is.

Good luck!

KP
  • Traciaq
    Traciaq Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi I did C25k On the treadmill and sometimes indoor track. On the treadmill I do walking at 3.8-4.0 and running jogging I do 4.8-5.2 I think I am faster on the indoor track and worry less about being flung off, I finished the app on treadmill and now will run through the entire thing on the track before I run a 5k.. feel free to add me if you want =) good luck