New to Muay Thai and feeling overwhelmed

Options
heronh
heronh Posts: 529 Member
Hi I just started Muay about a month ago. I love it but some days the classes overwhelmed me with the multiple multi combo striking blocking drills. I am the newest in class and everybody is much more advanced than me and so when it comes time to partner up for drills I feel that everybody is avoiding me liie the plague. And when I do partner I feel awfull that I am not doing a good job holding the mitt for my partner. That they come to hone their skills and they can't do it will a newbie thus I'm just holding people back
But I still go to class everyday and work as hard I can
i am making progress and my form is good but I am just a slow learner I guess.
I would love some tips on how to partner up in class. There's also something I noticed.. I see the regular that have the same partners. I feel that having the same partners will make you complacent.
I don't mind being outside my comfort zone but it would he nice if people won't have to be forced to partner with me by the instructor. I am a nice person, just more on the quiet side.
ANY advice would be so.helpful I do enjoy muay Thai and would love to go class without having to.dread the partnering part.

Replies

• Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You may or may not be hypersensitive about it being new, but I have been on both sides of this. If you are honestly doing your best, you should progress quickly enough that you will earn their trust and be able to do the pads. Talk to the people, become a person and not just a 'noob', you may even find that they will go out of their way to help you. If nothing else, talk to the instructor and if they are good they should be able to help out.

Stick with it!
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You only started a month ago, many times in styles such as thai boxing we assume you are going to give up (rention rate seems to be low when people aren't constantly chasing the "belt" carrot), so we don't always want to spend our time instructing newbies on the basics.

I realize this is the wrong attitude, but it's a common mistake. Keep with it, show devotion, as you improve your technique, people will slowly want to work with you.
  • dgleonard
    dgleonard Posts: 3
    Options
    As an instructor and part owner of a martial arts club that includes Muay Thai classes, this is all too common.

The key, is consistency. No matter how you do in class, keep coming! You will notice that you will start losing weight, classes will get easier, and your technique will improve. No where to go but up if you keep on climbing.
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody for your advice it REALLY helped. I enjoy Muay Thai and even when I just keep coming back, I know I'm making progress and that's what important. But all your advices have really calmed my nerves. To know that this is just common and things will get better makes me feel so much better

Alehmer, you are right, I should try to talk more.

Default I know what you saying just my short month there I've seen a few people come and go. Perhaps they feel overwhelmed too :tongue: And yes I will keep going and working hard!!

Dgleonard : Thank you for your encouragement!

I am just gonna keep going to every class, work hard and be patient. I might be a slow learner but I am a hard worker.

On the plus side I had a great class last evening, it really helps when I'm partnering with someone that is about my height, patient, upbeat and is not rolling their eyes constantly. I find that I actually pick things up faster. So yay!

I've also decided to get a private lesson with my instructor to help me work on whatever he thinks will help me at this stage
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    keep at it ! I do muay thai as well, love it, the bruises, sweat etc. Don't worry I used to get sooo nervous about partnering up with the experienced ones ( esp since I am short) but now it doesn't bother me. it is common what you are feeling.

Somedays you will have an awesome session. SOmedays you will have a not so good session. It happens. no big deal

remember to relax and breathe and have fun. everyone was a newbie at one stage !

slow learner and hard worker is the way to go !
  • MuayThaiGrrrl
    Options
    I completely understand! However, one of the trainers told me that even when an "experienced" or more advanced fighter is partnered with you and he has to "slow down" to match your speed, level, etc, he's still getting a workout and he's still learning (because we learn better when we teach someone else).
    I wish you lived in Utah so that we could be Muay Thai gym buddies!

You're doing such a great job for persevering and working hard! I'm a very slow learner, as well :)
  • MuayThaiGrrrl
    Options
    I also haven't been for a few months, because I've gained a ton of weight, have lost a lot of endurance/strength, and I'm so embarassed, and have been too intimidated to go back. I need to just suck it up and go back. Everyone is always helpful and supportive. It's just my own self-consciousness holding me back. I love it and I miss it. It always makes me feel powerful and strong and beautiful.