Smoothies: Things to be careful of with calories?

Options
My smoothies are usually 16 ounces. I would guess that adding carrots, beets and apples are going to push up the calorie count.

If we can put some low calorie recipes here I think it would help a lot of people.

Also calculating the calories in the smoothies will make it easier for us to log our counts.

what are some low calorie smoothies that you enjoy?

Replies

• jdaywalt01
    Options
    Lately, I've been going to Allrecipes.com for my smoothie recipes (it's a great site for other recipes as well!) They have TONS of recipes, and when you select one, if you scroll down the page (past the reviews), they also list nutritional information for per serving (including calories, fiber, sodium, fat, protein, etc.) You can adjust the # of servings & it will recalculate the recipe automatically. You can also save your recipes into your own custom recipe box for future use. I love it!
  • wildberrytoo
    wildberrytoo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was trying to pack in as many healthy things I could into each smoothie. I finally figured out the calorie count of one....stopped me dead in my trax! I don't worry about veggie calories so I pack it full of them, then I add 1/2 frozen banana and 1/2 cup of some other fruit. Now is where I was getting into trouble.....I was adding protein powder, seed of some kind (chia, flax, hemp) and a table spoon of raw honey or organic coconut oil (that added an additional 300 calories!)
    Now I just do the veggies/fruit and seed.
    My smoothies tend to be around 24 oz.
  • sandiegotennispro
    Options
    Wildberry about how many calories are your 24 oz. smoothies?
  • wildberrytoo
    Options
    When I do just the veggie/fruit/seed, it averages around 370. I then use it as a meal replacement
  • myohana4
    myohana4 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Where I am confused is trying to figure out how many calories/carb are in each smoothie. I was adding up the calories of whatever I was putting in the mixer. However, the post on facebook suggests that the carb count of, for example, an apple in the vitamix is much higher than eating an apple just sliced. If this is true then how can you calculate the actual carbs in a smoothie?

Any advice?
  • wildberrytoo
    Options
    Did you add it up here in mfp? you can also try caloriecount.com to get a general idea
  • myohana4
    myohana4 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I do add it up here on mfp. But if what they are saying on the vitamix facebook page is true, then the totals I am getting from this website are incorrect
  • cwmccoppin
    cwmccoppin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I first got my Vitamix I was already deep into myfitnesspal... tracking every single thing very carefully. It was a real pain to have to enter in every single ingredient in every single smoothie... and of course each smoothie might have slightly different ingredients so it's hard to just duplicate an entire smoothie. Anyone else frustrated by this? I was hoping for some tips. Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but myohana4's comments made me think of it.
  • sandiegotennispro
    Options
    You can customize and enter a personal food item with the amount of calories. This way you will have it recorded and saved and only have to figure it out one time. Maybe someone needs to produce some playing cards with pictures of vegetables and fruits on it with the calories. You deal out the cards that you used in the smoothie and then just add them up!
  • clowd9
    clowd9 Posts: 10
    Options
    I do add it up here on mfp. But if what they are saying on the vitamix facebook page is true, then the totals I am getting from this website are incorrect

I read that on the VM Facebook page too and I was skeptical so I asked my friend who is a registered dietician at the hospital. Here's what she told me- blended foods have the exact same calorie count as when they are whole.
    Here's where it gets tricky though- by blending your fruits and vegetables, you won't feel full as long as if you'd chewed them, and you may find yourself eating (drinking) more than you realize.

This article explains it well, using an apple as an example:
    http://www.lanimuelrath.com/diet-nutrition/to-smoothie-or-not-to-smoothie-the-skinny-on-blending-your-fruits-and-greens/
  • jomclucas10
    jomclucas10 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Oh my, I used to have deal a meal cards from Richard Simmons! Your post reminded me of that!

I found some good lower calorie ideas by searching for smoothies for diabetics. They tend to have fewer carbs.
  • MyDynamicJourney
    Options
    Maybe you could try this program. You could drag and drop your ingredients into the program to get the calorie counts and then add as a meal to MFP. It might be faster. I know no smoothie is always exactly the same making it hard to log it. Drag and drop might be faster. www.putastrawinit.com
  • tjflippo
    tjflippo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use my vitamix for smoothies every morning. I have now started adding ultimate profit and greens to them. These add protein, fruit, veggies, and lots of vitamins. I use this as a meal replacement. Greens that so many added bonuses and I feel great now that I'm taking them.

Check out www.traciandersonwraps.myitworks.com if you are interested in taking your smoothies to the next level.