Getting my kids back on track

Options
joybedford
joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
I am ashamed to say my children's eating habits are dreadful. We started out really well they were weaned on home cooked food, never ate out of jars, they would literally eat anything I gave them. Piers was lactose intolerant so everything was homemade as it was safer that way, snacks were fruit, any cakes they had were homemade and very infrequently. Then they went to school and the bad habits started. Initially they stayed for school dinner and of course their was pudding after every meal. Now they have a packed lunch and I am afraid to say the crappy shop bought snacks started for convenience. As a busy working mother making 3 packed lunches takes time. My daughter is the worst her best friend eats sweets constantly and is skinny as a pole. Lydia unfortunately has started to gain weight despite 6 hours dancing a week and 1 hour of tae kwondo.
I have decided enough is enough I am taking back control but how do I do it without causing a major drama. I think the time is right Lydia is becoming aware she is gaining weight and is bringing home a lot of her lunch not eaten ( of course we haven't mentioned her gaining weight).
I am going to stop buying the crap they can't eat what's not there but what do I replace it with. I also have to consider that Piers is severely underweight and I need to get calories into him. I have no intention of making them be paleo that has to be there decision (and hubby wouldn't allow it anyway) but I do want to clean up there diet. They like fruit, vegetables not so much. I got them graze boxes but they eat very little of it. I also have the issue of Lydia eating next door, she was invited for tea last week and they gave her a sodium laden Chinese takeaway. Any ideas. Please be kind I feel bad enough I am in this situation.

Replies

• SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    My only idea is slow moving with this so it is a gradual change, introduce better meals a little at a time. I try to make a meal at my house every now and then but mostly people here will eat anyway they want, they are all grown up.
  • joybedford
    Options
    We have a healthy meal every night with the exception of Wednesday as Lydia dances for 3 hours so we need something quick. They usually have chicken nuggets or something on this night. They all enjoy pasta dishes and chili (not Marcus) which I put in loads of veggies. Obviously I don't eat the pasta. It's the other things in between, they eat their meal and say they are starving (they might have left most of their meal). They then want nutrient poor food like cookies, crisps, sweets etc. fruit is always available and I try to encourage that but they prefer the crap. Or they come home from school and snack constantly. We don't eat until my husband comes home from work at 1800. Piers medication suppresses his appetite in the day so he is hungry about 19.00 when it wears off. His consultant told us to give him whatever he wants which we did initially because we were desperate for him to eat but this has spiralled out of control and led to poor eating habits for both twins. Marcus isn't too bad he eats a little chocolate at night but eats fruit and veggies, likes meat and doesn't eat pasta or rice. Apart from dairy, potatoes and chocolate he is paleo. We do need to work on his coca cola habit though I have cut him down to a 200ml bottle instead of 500 but he has one every day.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Make the change. You are the mom. Replace junk with healthy food. Don't allow unhealthy food in the house. You don't have to argue, justify, or whatever but I usually explain to my child that it's MY fault that we haven't been eating healthy and now we have to fix it or we will get very sick. I don't feel guilty when I "deny" my child certain foods. All I have to do is look at her cavities and behaviour and that's a good swift kick in the butt that it's not my right to destroy my child's health. That said, she is still allowed a planned treat here and there and we have ice cream frequently when out on holidays.

Ps. There are no excuses, only choices. A stir fry can be prepared in 15 minutes, especially with your children helping. You can even buy veggies and meat pre-cut. Paleo can be as fast and simple as one chooses. If you have concluded that wheat is unhealthy for you where is the logic to feed it to your kids? I've noticed that wheat is the worst thing I can give my child and even rice pasta, though a processed food, would be a better option, but vegetables are faster than any pasta!
  • joybedford
    Options
    Akima I understand what you are saying and I am willing to make the change. I know it is my fault they are eating crap and I take responsibility for that. They usually only have pasta once a week and I buy wholewheat they would prefer white but they don't get it. That and chili is the only meal that Piers completely finishes and with his weight issues I Need to get food into him. He also loves flapjacks could you send me the recipe for your homemade paleo bars he might eat those. I have just thrown away a load of sweeties the crappy sherbet type ones that are just sugar, they have been their forever I doubt they will miss them. I don't really have a problem with chocolate in moderation so have kept that. I just need to have snacky alternatives on hand for when they start requesting food. I always have pineapple, strawberries, raspberries, apples, kiwis and bananas in the house and we don't limit fruit. What other snacks could I give them they don't like nuts. They never have artificial sweeteners I am really against them. We also never have food colouring they don't mix with ADHD.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Akima I understand what you are saying and I am willing to make the change. I know it is my fault they are eating crap and I take responsibility for that. They usually only have pasta once a week and I buy wholewheat they would prefer white but they don't get it. That and chili is the only meal that Piers completely finishes and with his weight issues I Need to get food into him. He also loves flapjacks could you send me the recipe for your homemade paleo bars he might eat those. I have just thrown away a load of sweeties the crappy sherbet type ones that are just sugar, they have been their forever I doubt they will miss them. I don't really have a problem with chocolate in moderation so have kept that. I just need to have snacky alternatives on hand for when they start requesting food. I always have pineapple, strawberries, raspberries, apples, kiwis and bananas in the house and we don't limit fruit. What other snacks could I give them they don't like nuts. They never have artificial sweeteners I am really against them. We also never have food colouring they don't mix with ADHD.

Wheat is wheat. Whole wheat is not healthier than white wheat imo. I find wheat to be the only food that causes damage when consumed even in small amounts and infrequently. It's especially problematic for my child's behavioural issues. For occasional treats I allow my child rice noodles and even rice flour based pancakes. Due to all the "gluten-free" craze there are many many wheat alternatives out there. I see those things as "sometimes" foods but I never have wheat in the house. Wheat makes both of us sick and it's not worth it at all.

I'm at work writing this but I got my granola bar recipes online and there are other Paleo substitutes in every cookbook I own. Personally, I don't make many treats as vegetables and fruits are my child's favourite foods anyway. I certainly have some struggles with food with her but I know that she won't starve to death if she refuses to eat something here and there. I just shrug my shoulders and say "too bad, there's nothing else unless you eat that first". I don't purposefully makes things she hates but it just happens occasionally.
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Does your husband cook or grocery shop? I ask because my husband does neither (which is fine by me!) Anyway, like your husband, mine is not exactly on the Paleo bandwagon, but since he doesn't cook or shop, he pretty much eats what I eat, which is Paleo/Primal. Even though he still mocks me a bit for the lifestyle (to which I say, "Whatever"), he has really been gobbling up the stuff I've been making (while occasionally pining for a piece of bread). I feel like if you just make delicious Paleo stuff and don't say "THIS IS PALEO," your husband and kids may barely notice. And, if need be, maybe give them a piece of bread with the meal (I know, heresy, but still probably a move in the right direction with all the other good stuff you're serving them...)
  • AmyMS86
    AmyMS86 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Small changes - rice pasta (personally, I don't eat rice, but I believe it to be the lesser of the grain evils), mashed cauliflower, almond flour pancakes (The Urban Poser has a recipe for pancakes that taste crazy similar to wheat based), etc. Snacks - make your own gummy snacks with fruit juice and gelatin, sorbet made with honey instead of ice cream, things like that.
  • NahrasWay
    NahrasWay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids so please take what I say with a grain of salt because it might not be the best advice.

I feel that with kids talking to them might open them up to change. You seem like a great mom who is trying very hard to get her kids healthy so please don't think I am saying you don't talk to your kids, I'm just saying in general. I understand you are doing primal/paleo for yourself and don't want to limit them but I agree with other people who say if it isn't in the house then they won't be able to eat it. Don't buy the really bad things that they over indulge on. Perhaps take them shopping with you but before hand make sure they know they are allowed to pick their own snacks for the week but say 80-90% have to be healthier alternatives (like fruit/nuts or something) or before you go shopping look up a few paleo/primal snack recipes that have ingredients you think they might eat and give them a choice between a few recipes to choose just one they they can help make on their own for the week (perhaps offer a few good ones and maybe a paleo 'treat' one but then their other snacks for the week must be healthier things) If their diets at home are really good then them going to a friends house once in awhile and having something they wouldn't normally have I feel like isn't a big deal. Even trying to get them involved in the actual meal making might make them appreciate what goes into making a healthy meal and they might feel more willing to eat something that they have made or helped make but I guess that depends on the kid and if they are interested in doing that sort of thing.

That being said I also think if they are teenagers then you should talk to them about their nutrition how it can affect them in the future but also bring them on board with the food. I understand they are kids and I believe there is a limit to how much 'freedom' you should give your kids on certain things, because well they are kids, but they are also people with their own likes and dislikes and opinions especially at the teenager age. However if you are setting the example with your eating, even if you are allowing them pasta and such, if they see people around them making healthier choices and are given healthier options that they enjoy and they know WHY they should be making healthier decisions (more energy for dance, getting your other sons weight up perhaps there is something he has been wanting to do but feels like he can't because he underweight like a sport or something?) then perhaps they will start making better decisions outside of the house as well.

I feel like all you can do is control what they eat at home (and when you go out with them of course) but they need to be educated so that when they are out on their own (school or friends houses) they can look at what's offered to them and try to make a better decision. It isn't always going to work though I feel like even with food choices kids can feel peer pressured to eat something since their friends are as well but that's where the education part comes in again. Having them know occasional treats is alright but too much is an overindulgence.

Again, this is just my thoughts on what I would hope I would be able to do with my own children when I do have them. I know kids, especially teenagers, can be difficult and everything isn't so cut and dry but these are just some of my opinions on the matter. Good luck and I hope you can make things work out!
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Wether its one change at a time or a bunch of them all at once you know what is right for your family. We are a family of five who all eat strict scd (simulair to paleo). Two of my kids are severely lactose intolerant we make 24 hour fermented yogurt its lactose free and a great kid food. We go through a gallon a day:). Also lactose free cheese is a good snack. Here are other super easy kid approved eats at our house. Dates and almond butter, banana almond butter raisons, fruit smoothies,kale chips, fried sweet potato, fried butternut squash with mayo, pistachios, unsweetened banana chips. Our favorite dinners are "meatza" ground beef tomato sauce veggies and cheese, brawts and kraut, meatballs and sauce on steamed vwggies, broccoli soup, and cheeseburgers. Do your kids enjoy cooked grains? Soaked slow cooked grains like slow cooked rice or oats are a great source of carbs for growing children; we look forward to adding them back to our diet after another year on SCD.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Does your husband cook or grocery shop? I ask because my husband does neither (which is fine by me!) Anyway, like your husband, mine is not exactly on the Paleo bandwagon, but since he doesn't cook or shop, he pretty much eats what I eat, which is Paleo/Primal. Even though he still mocks me a bit for the lifestyle (to which I say, "Whatever"), he has really been gobbling up the stuff I've been making (while occasionally pining for a piece of bread). I feel like if you just make delicious Paleo stuff and don't say "THIS IS PALEO," your husband and kids may barely notice. And, if need be, maybe give them a piece of bread with the meal (I know, heresy, but still probably a move in the right direction with all the other good stuff you're serving them...)

Agreed~!
  • iwillrun2
    iwillrun2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have 2 daughters now 22 and 18 and when I need to change something involving them I always found it was easier if I included them. Your daughter will likely be open to the change (as she may notice the weight gain even though you haven't mentioned it). I would start with her - take her grocery shopping - point out the nutritional information on the packages of sweets and desserts. Show her how much sodium is in a Mr. Noodle - a lot of fast food restaurant food is similar. Try letting them choose healthy snacks, even if you have to start with letting them switch out a few snacks or meals at a time. Even though some items may not be Paleo you might just want to go more healthy - small changes at a time. Do they need a bit of veggies and dip? Maybe hummus. Cheese cut into cubes - make mini kabobs out of them on toothpicks. Let them help. If you son needs more calories how about a trail mix with dried fruit - nuts are paleo and very nutritious. (although he may have to eat that at home after school if nuts are a problem at school). How about popcorn? You can make it with regular old popcorn and put it in a paper lunchbag and microwave it - pops just like the store bought stuff with no chemicals. Add butter!! Its a healthier option then sweetened snacks.
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I don't really consider myself "Paleo" but I eat closer to that than anything else. I eat 100% gluten free and about 95% grain free (only rice/rice flour or the rare corn chip if at a Mexican restaurant--and I pay for it later!). My husband is gluten free/peanut free (allergy) and we both are dairy free. I prefer only natural sugars but will use regular for occasional treats (like birthday cakes). Our three year old has no allergy/dietary/other issues, but I will only make foods that everyone in the house can eat. We eat pretty regular dinners (roast and potatoes (gold for hub/sweet for me), taco or fajita salad (corn chips added for hubs), spaghetti (on spaghetti squash), chicken strips ("breaded" with seasoned almond flour and baked), fish, loads of grilled meats. Hubby usually eats potatoes as a side and I eat sweet potatoes and roasted veg --carrots, beets, mushrooms, cauliflower, asparagus, etc. My son eats pretty much all of it. We do keep a few frozen convenience items for him in case we make something too spicy or dinner is late. The frozen items are all gluten free junk (fish sticks, nitrate free corn dogs), but they are eaten on occasion and I think it is fine for him to eat them now and then, they are not the bulk of his diet. He loves nitrate free hot dogs (no bun, he doesn't like bread and we don't buy it) with something to dip them in.

For snacks we still buy chips (crisps). For hubby we buy corn chips and we all (though less often for me) eat potato chips (ingredients: potatoes, oil, salt only). Hubby is in love with Eat Your Vegetables chips (Sea Salt version). We buy them here at Costco and they are super yummy (gluten free, not grain free) and though they are a bit more salty than I would like and processed, they are better alternative than many of the regular SAD snacks. We snack on fruit/berries, lots of dried fruits for the boys, my son is addicted to fruit leather, and my husband and son both eat popcorn. I make coconut milk based ice creams and fruit/yogurt popsicles and keep them in the freezer. I make grain free cookies that are so good no one minds that they aren't what we used to eat. Are these snacks Paleo? No, some are, not all, but they are all better than the SAD alternatives.

My son still gets junk at his grandparents like goldfish crackers and oreo cookies. I don't stress too much about it. I know that when he goes to school I won't be able to monitor everything he eats. I am still trying to figure out how to have more control over his diet while he is in daycare and I know that will be an issue as he continues on through school. For now I make sure that what is at home is not crap. When my step daughter was home, we had a policy of "if you don't like the food we provide, you buy your own at your expense".

All that being said, my husband is in total agreement with me on what we all eat. We make menus together and alternate shopping each week. It would be harder if he were not on board. In your case, you said your husband would not allow them to be Paleo, but probably you and he should have a conversation about your concerns and come up with a plan together and then include your kids in the discussion. Make whatever you decide on gradual and communicate with them. If you force it on them they will resist the harder. And if they have an occasional Chinese takeaway, don't sweat it, just try to make it the exception not the rule.

There are so many resources available online for snack recipes. I know everyone doesn't agree, but personally I love Pinterest for finding and organizing my gluten and grain free recipes. I have them divided into meals, sides, desserts, etc and if I make something and we don't like it so much, I delete it. Honestly, there are so many things I would never have thought of without it. Anyone that wants to follow me on there to check out my recipe boards, just message me and I'll send my user name. Good luck, OP, I wish you the best. All of us have different opinions but in the end they are your kids and you will know what is best for them.
  • Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My kids aren't paleo, but they are 100% gluten/peanut/dairy free. To make lunches easier, we prepack quite a few different things (in proper serving sizes) so we can just grab and pack them. We have things like mini rice cakes, air popped popcorn, quinoa crackers, pretzels, nut free trail mix, apple sauce, homemade granola bars. And we try to keep homemade waffles and muffins in the freezer for easy snacks/breakfast. We also keep veggies cut up for quick snacking. 1 hour on the weekend and you have tons of snacks that are as easy to grab as convenience food.

Deli meats, leftover chicken breast, beef jerky, hard boiled eggs are all easy to prepare and grab too.

It's a matter of finding what they like, that you are ok with them eating, and keep those things stocked. Get rid of the junk food - if it's not in the house, they can't eat it. Will they drink smoothies?