MEtabolic Damage Recovery

Options
jsmommy1999
jsmommy1999 Posts: 35 Member
Hi. I am new to this group. I posted pretty much the same thing on the main forum but wanted to see how many of you were in the same boat. I'm a runner/cardio addict (5'6" 110 for the past 4 years or so) who started having issues with missing periods, fatigue, major digestive issues, and brain fog about a year or so ago. I started realizing how much I was working out and how few calories I seemed to be eating so I had my RMR done at the hospital and it was only 1000! That is 20% lower than it is supposed to be (plus at 18% body fat and with all the exercise I do I would have expected it to be higher than normal. Anyway I know from internet research and advice from the board that the way to increase metabolism is to quit the cardio (I feel like I'm quitting heroine!!) lift weights, walk, and slowly increase calories. Like most of you I am very scared of gaining weight and having to buy new clothes (like I said I have been this size for years) so I would like to do this as slowly, easily as possible.

Can anyone relate or does anyone have success stories they would like to share?

Thanks,
Ann

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Here's a case study of almost the same boat.
    Don't need to stop cardio either, but make it all in the Active Recovery HR zone training your fat-burning aerobic system. That zone has been recently called the fad name fat-burning zone.

A similar case study was published by Jampolis (2004).
    A 51 year old patient complained of a 15 lb weight gain over the last year despite beginning a strenuous triathlon and marathon training program (2 hours per day, 5-6 days per week).
    A 3 day diet analysis estimated a daily intake of only 1000-1200 Calories.
    An indirect calorimetry revealed a resting metabolic rate of 950 Calories (28% below predicted for age, height, weight, and gender).
    After medications and medical conditions such as hypothyroidism and diabetes where ruled out, the final diagnosis was over-training and undereating. The following treatment was recommended:

Increase daily dietary intake by approximately 100 Calories per week to a goal of 1500 calories
    32% protein; 35% carbohydrates; 33% fat
    Consume 5-6 small meals per day
    Small amounts of protein with each meal or snack
    Choose high fiber starches
    Select mono- and poly- unsaturated fats
    Restrict consumption of starch with evening meals unless focused around training
    Take daily multi-vitamin and mineral supplement
    Perform whole body isometric resistance training 2 times per week

After 6 weeks the patient's resting metabolism increased 35% to 1282 Calories per day (only 2% below predicted).
    The patient also decreases percent fat from 37% to 34%, a loss of 5 lbs of body fat.

Jampolis MB (2004) Weight Gain - Marathon Runner / Triathlete. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 36(5) S148.

And since you are running very depleted glycogen stores in the muscles, you will gain water weight there, which probably shouldn't affect clothes, unless tight over your leg muscles.
  • TriLaura
    TriLaura Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Hi Kathleen.

Have you read these? I've considered them, then joined his newsletter and while his premise seems okay, his writing style is a bit brash. Are his books like that? Are they worthwhile?
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have read them! I take some of it to heart and throw some of it out, but yeah, his style is a bit brash! He is an easy read though. I'd recommend doing the metabolism ecourse through his newsletter, then maybe you'll know whether it's worth buying/reading his ebooks. He often gives them away for free through his newsletter so worth being on it just for that!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    http://www.t-nation.com/training/death-of-steady-state-cardio

While the above article doesn't adress your situation specifically, it might encourage you to see what laying off the cardio and eating can do for your body. Take it slow and give your body time to heal. Don't be discouraged by a number on the scale!