Hello.

Options
Hey,

My name is Charles and I've been on my weight loss and exercise plan for 2 weeks now. My goal is to weigh 200 pounds by Christmas 2014. I started at 252 and I've already lost 5 pounds. I've noticed this site is dominated by women, and I can understand that. It would be nice to talk to some of the guys who are on here just to hold each other accountable.

Replies

• Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Welcome.... This is a great site even if we are the "minority" LOL.

However what needs to be heard is that guys can lose weight eating more calories. I am working on losing 30-40 lbs by eating at a deficit, but netting between 1800 and 2200 calories per day. A man ain't gonna starve eating that much! :drinker:

Fee free to friend me!
  • autoee
    autoee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    While we might be small in numbers, there is a great group of core guys that are really motivated. A lot of good information here too if you can weed thru a little of the trash that gets posted occasionally. However, there seems to be a fairly swift response for those that want to post things like I took a magic pill and it solved all my problems. 5lbs is a great start. Feel free to add me if you want. Welcome to the group.
    I started at at 317, I'm currently at 265 and have similar goals to get to 200 by the end of the year.
  • Jeffy67
    Jeffy67 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Mighty we are! I started my journey at 252 lbs and have been successful at losing 56 lbs so far.
    You're off to a great start with losing 5lbs. But remember, losing weight is a marathon not a sprint.

Feel free to add me as a friend, i'm on everyday and through out the day.
  • jtrack3d
    jtrack3d Posts: 91
    Options
    Hey, Charles, the first few weeks were the most challenging for me... acclimating to a new way of thinking about food and being accountable for it.

The reason I like the guys group... I get SOOOO tired of women telling me... "it's easy for men to lose weight".... right! Don't buy that.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I like this group! We get what we put into it!

What I like about an all men group is that is "socially more difficult" to be a guy who is watching what he eats etc. than a woman. I know that this is a "general" statement, but it is true.

We have to be almost more "stealthy" about it. I am not going to give up going out with the guys or clients and eat a salad while everyone eats pizza. I just have to be smart about "saving" my calories etc.

Also... if I get in a good run/walk or weights... I can actually eat 3000 calories in a day and still have a deficit where I can lost weight. I don't feel like I am dieting... I am already doing my future maintenance.. just with a more agressive deficit.

You will never hear me saying... if you have to lose weight you have to eat 1200 calories - that is just BS in my book.

Good luck fellas! :drinker:
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I started at 248.5, I was 183.5 this morning. I started on 8/1/13. It can be done. After the first 25 pounds came off my knee pain went away and I started running again. More weight loss and even more exercise in an upward spiral. I think exercise is the key since it enables more food--men need food!!
  • CHhbi
    CHhbi Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks guys for the encouragement. So far I'm down 8 pounds and I already feel like I have more energy and I'm not getting winded as quickly and as easily as I used to. At one point just mowing the lawn had me going in to cool off and catch my breath every 20 minutes. so cutting the grass was an all day thing. Now I can do the whole yard, just under an acre, in about 90 minutes and only have to stop to put gas in the mower.
  • Weightlossdude53
    Weightlossdude53 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name js Carl and I am 53 years old. I have been trying tom,ose weight fir years, with varying degrees of success. I won a one year member ship to a gym awhile ago and started going three weeks ago (3times ler week). I can already feel the difference even though I have only lost 1.8 lbs so far. I LOVE the gym and feel mire confident, more stable and somehow stronger!
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Welcome. When you hit the mid 50's things change a lot. It's good to get some exercise and it will help you on your way.
  • ChrisUK70
    ChrisUK70 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck with the weight loss remember keep logging!
  • StephaneLahaye
    Options
    Hi Chaps,

New here.

I enrolled for a Mont Ventoux (23 km - 1600 meters) climb by bike for a solidarity event with my company. As a sales guy here in Luxembourg I'm lunching with customers almost every day, and becoming 50 this year, I start to gain some weight. Every kg to add up to the top of the mountain is hurting. Starting good habits is a must!

Greetings from Luxembourg where rain killed my bicycle training tonight ;-)
  • RespiratoryScot
    RespiratoryScot Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Awesome, welcome! I agree - it is nice to have some guys to connect with! Usually people I know will comment on my weight loss and will then quickly say, "well it is easy for you guys to lose weight." It is hard to respond to that without sounding like a jerk, but it has felt anything BUT easy! :)

Anyhow, welcome. I've been at this for about 8-9 months and have lost 25 pounds with probably another 20 to go.
  • robster160
    robster160 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, good to connect. Feel free to add me. I'm a "slow but steady wins the race" guy: aiming for my full goal of 85 lbs over 2-3 years. After 5 months I have lost 19 lbs. Lots of good days and some not so great, but every increment counts. Keep logging in!