Not motivated to eat...

Options
diabetesdieter
diabetesdieter Posts: 47 Member
Ok, I am eating a low carb diet in hopes of losing weight, controlling my type II and getting off medication! Problem is, I have very little appetite and the things I want to eat are too carby. I like lots of proteins and nuts. I like most foods. I just don't feel like eating sometimes. Maybe the metformin...I am trying to eat 1200 calories a day, but sometimes I am closer to 1000. I wouldn't care, but I don't want my metabolism to slow down. I am running several times a week and exercising almost every day, so I probably should eat more, but I am not motivated. Anyone else having this issue?

Replies

• amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I am also trying to lose weight and get off my diabetes medication. I wish I had very little appetite. I do know my appetite has gone down. I'm taking 5 mg of glipizide once a day and 500mg of metformin three times a day. It seems like I have to eat every 2-3 hours to make sure my blood sugar doesn't go too low. I don't want to eat glucose tabs all day. Not sure what you are eating. Your food diary isn't open. 1200 calories isn't a lot for anyone, especially if you are exercising so often. Maybe you can try eating nuts, avocado or other healthy fats since they are higher in calories.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Decreasing carbohydrate intake can suppress appetite, and Metformin also frequently decreases appetite. Perhaps both of those together are causing you to feel that you don't want to eat? Make sure that you have a regular eating schedule, and sit down and eat something. That will help you get optimum nutrition. Sometimes people drink a lot of beverages, and that can make you feel more full. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Decreasing carbohydrate intake can suppress appetite, and Metformin also frequently decreases appetite. Perhaps both of those together are causing you to feel that you don't want to eat? Make sure that you have a regular eating schedule, and sit down and eat something. That will help you get optimum nutrition. Sometimes people drink a lot of beverages, and that can make you feel more full. ~Lynn /Glucerna

Ah … now that explains it for me. I thought my own appetite was off beause it's warm outside. However, I have been cutting back on my carbohydrates … I'm ok with the calories however, because I have a pretty high limit.
  • diabetesdieter
    Options
    Yeah I eat healthy fats like almonds and avocados. I just don't seem to want to eat too much. Never had this problem before! Luckily my BS is under 100 most of the time now, so I am eating some carbs and it seems ok still. I had a burger and lima beans for dinner and my 2 hour was 117. Not bad considering it was almost 40 grams of carbs. After walking 4 + miles it was 90 when I got back. I feel good about BS. Just trying to eat enough!
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    During my first few weeks, I was devastated that I couldn't eat my carby things anymore. So I consoled myself wtih the fact that I can eat eggs, mushrooms and bacon - all of my favorite breakfast foods!

I LOVE eggs, mushrooms and bacon. Especially bacon. MOST especially bacon. :love:

....did I mention bacon? :bigsmile:

I tried to keep it as simple as I could, those first few weeks. I just did a mental "yes" and "no" list:

Yes: Meat, cheese, eggs, fish, veggies
    Maybe: Some fruit (depends on what)
    NO: Bread, cereal, crackers, sugary things, rice, potatoes

That's simplistic, but it helped me at first until I got used to my new diet. I gradually started adding things back as I discovered my tolerance level. It gets easier.

ETA: I do not agree with MFP's default 1200 calorie limit. It's unsustainable for most people and all it does is frustrate when you discover that 1200 calories goes VERY quickly in the space of a day. I would recommend figuring up your individual TDEE and BMR to calculate the appropriate amount of calories for you.

See the "sexypants" thread for what I mean -

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I currently eat 1840 calories a day and I lose plenty of weight. Just sayin'.
  • amberj32
    Options
    During my first few weeks, I was devastated that I couldn't eat my carby things anymore. So I consoled myself wtih the fact that I can eat eggs, mushrooms and bacon - all of my favorite breakfast foods!

I LOVE eggs, mushrooms and bacon. Especially bacon. MOST especially bacon. :love:

....did I mention bacon? :bigsmile:

I tried to keep it as simple as I could, those first few weeks. I just did a mental "yes" and "no" list:

Yes: Meat, cheese, eggs, fish, veggies
    Maybe: Some fruit (depends on what)
    NO: Bread, cereal, crackers, sugary things, rice, potatoes

That's simplistic, but it helped me at first until I got used to my new diet. I gradually started adding things back as I discovered my tolerance level. It gets easier.

ETA: I do not agree with MFP's default 1200 calorie limit. It's unsustainable for most people and all it does is frustrate when you discover that 1200 calories goes VERY quickly in the space of a day. I would recommend figuring up your individual TDEE and BMR to calculate the appropriate amount of calories for you.

See the "sexypants" thread for what I mean -

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I currently eat 1840 calories a day and I lose plenty of weight. Just sayin'.

I've been trying to keep it simple like you. I just started bringing in one slice of whole wheat bread once or twice a week. My blood sugar has been okay. I don't do rice and potatoes much but I made mashed potatoes the other night. Ate 1/2 cup and I was okay. I love eggs, mushrooms and spinach for breakfast. Sometimes I add the bacon but I would rather put cheese. I love cheese.
    I don't agree with the 1200 calories either. I worked it out so my goal per day is 1780 calories. I've been losing weight. I didn't realize how much I ate before MFP! That is a good thread (sexypants) when you are starting.
  • Alsvic
    Alsvic Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The only thing better then bacon is bacon wrapped in bacon with a side of bacon.

I would love some mashed potatoes with bacon.

But I will be content with green beans cooked with bacon and onions.
  • amberj32
    Options
    The only thing better then bacon is bacon wrapped in bacon with a side of bacon.

I would love some mashed potatoes with bacon.

But I will be content with green beans cooked with bacon and onions.

Yum! I made mashed potatoes the other night and green beans with bacon and onions too! Very good!
  • Alsvic
    Alsvic Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    All kidding aside I have had good luck with Mission Carb Balanced tortillas and Aldis flat bread with flax seed. These are two bread products that do not seem to spike my BG very high.
  • vibhorka
    vibhorka Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I have had great luck with using http://www.walmart.com/ip/Josephs-Flax-Oat-Bran-Whole-Wheat-Flour-Pita-Bread-8-Oz/10323275.

They do not spike my BG levels, but they do contain corn and corn syrup ingredients which may not be for everyone.

They also come in Mini size. Great for fiber, low carb and no BG spike.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    The metformin took away my appetite at first. That went away after awhile. But at first, I had to set an alarm to eat. It seems like a great thing, cause hey-losing weight is one of the goals right? But it's not good.

I guess I'm lucky, cause once I realized what all those carbs were doing to me, I don't especially crave them anymore. But I do have an english muffin with peanut butter for breakfast 3 times a week.

Other than that, awesome wonderful bacon bacon bacon! I cook a pound on Sunday and just keep it in the fridge.

201306131602_13711573267566816_zps23277d41.gif
  • diabetesdieter
    Options
    Hello,

I have had great luck with using http://www.walmart.com/ip/Josephs-Flax-Oat-Bran-Whole-Wheat-Flour-Pita-Bread-8-Oz/10323275.

They do not spike my BG levels, but they do contain corn and corn syrup ingredients which may not be for everyone.

They also come in Mini size. Great for fiber, low carb and no BG spike.

I love these. I eat them with hummus. Also I eat low carb tortillas. Every morning I have a slice of Ezekiel sprouted grain bread with vegan butter. It makes my 2 hour around 105, so I love it!
  • diabetesdieter
    Options
    Yum! I made mashed potatoes the other night and green beans with bacon and onions too! Very good!
    [/quote]

I like making mashed potatoes with cauliflower and some laughing cow cheese. It's good!