Getting nervous about surgery on Monday!

Options
katematt313
katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
I am excited to have VSG on Monday, but I definitely have a case of the nerves.

I also am suddenly afraid that for some reason, VSG (which works for so many) won't work for me, even though I am committed to doing it right and following the rules.

Aah!!

Any advice?

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Kate, I felt the same way! Everything else had failed and I was so afraid this would too. I was sleeved almost 3 years ago and although I'm not yet to goal, I have only one regret. That I waited so long to do this! Having the sleeve is the best thing I have ever done for myself and it is working! Three years ago I weighed 386 and needed to lose 226. Yes for me it's very slow and I have lots of stalls, but I am still going down and have just 66 pounds left to goal. I understand your nerves, but trust me. If this can work for me it can work for you too!
  • katematt313
    Options
  • sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    You're quite normal. I know I felt this way too but if you are committed and follow your program and are prepared to live that way for the rest of your life you'll succeed. Good luck for a great surgery and recovery!!
  • vsgpdx
    vsgpdx Posts: 3
    Options
    I Get My VSG Monday too... I Have Been A Nervous Wreck All Week. The anesthesia is the part that scares me....BUT I woke up today soo excited to begin this process. I'm ready. I'm not nervous or scared. Just tell yourself everything will be fine because you follow doctors orders...but most of all we deserve this! We deserve to drop the pounds and feel awesome! Keep us posted. My surgery is at noon. I wonder how we ate going to feel on Tuesday lol
  • GraceByMySide
    GraceByMySide Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I just had my surgery a week ago!! It will go swimmingly, I'm sure!!! I was a little nervous, too. And rightly so. After all, we are totally changing our lives. I read someone's post just before my surgery that said that at some point the thought, "What the heck did I do???" will come up. It certainly did. It's not that it was a bad experience, but the first day and a half were uncomfortable, mostly from the CO2 gas that they us in our abdomen.. It takes a while for that to dissipate. I had tremendous pain in my shoulders, like I had done too many over the head shoulder raises- once that passed (and walking is the best way to get it to go away), I was fine!! I didn't use the pain button except maybe 2 or 3 times the day of surgery and just used Ibuprofen after that. Drinking, at first, was a little challenging, but relax. A wonderful, salty nurse told me my second night there (after I had told her I was frustrated about not getting 4 oz an hour, consistently), "Go to sleep. Don't drink any more tonight. Don't wake up and think you have to drink. You will be very surprised at what your body will do over the next 8 hours when you wake up! Just relax!!" And you know what?? She was absolutely right!!! When I woke up, it was easy and I was out by 10 am.

If you need any pep talk, reinforcement, etc, I'd be more than happy to help!!!!

~Emma :flowerforyou:
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I don't know of one person who wasn't nervous before surgery! It's totally natural. I was so nervous, I had a hard time eating, sleeping, concentrating. The nerves will pass, you will do great, and you will be starting your healthy new life soon! Wishing you a speedy recovery!
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Everyone gets nervous. (They cut you open, you know). You'd be crazy if you weren't a little nervous. But it will be fine, really.

And everyone loses, for six months. You'd have to work really, really hard not to. But whether you continue to lose after that, or keep from regaining, is all up to you. Use the honeymoon period to lose weight, break bad habits, and learn new good habits.
  • Watson_20
    Watson_20 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hello Kate,

I felt the same way. I'm thinking will it work for me or not, it did work and I'm doing great. I had my VSG on 06/08/2010. The best decision I made. I committed to doing it right and follow the rules. I'm enjoying life now. I have lost 304.8 pounds from my pre-op weight (two weeks before surgery) of 476.4 pounds, I've lost 393.4 pounds overall, my current weight is 171.6 pounds. All will be good, you'll do great, you'll be on your way to a new and healthy you.

I wish you the very best for you on your journey. Feel free to add me to your friend list.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Hello Kate,

I felt the same way. I'm thinking will it work for me or not, it did work and I'm doing great. I had my VSG on 06/08/2010. The best decision I made. I committed to doing it right and follow the rules. I'm enjoying life now. I have lost 304.8 pounds from my pre-op weight (two weeks before surgery) of 476.4 pounds, I've lost 393.4 pounds overall, my current weight is 171.6 pounds. All will be good, you'll do great, you'll be on your way to a new and healthy you.

I wish you the very best for you on your journey. Feel free to add me to your friend list.

You've done fantastic!
  • Watson_20
    Watson_20 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thank you grim_travelle.
  • JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    HAPPY SURGEVERSARY WATSON!! WHAT AN INSPIRATION!
  • GraceByMySide
    GraceByMySide Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Best wishes to all those undergoing the knife, today!!! You'll be glad you did!!!! :drinker:
  • Prtyricki
    Prtyricki Posts: 1
    Options
    You are so right I just had my surgery Monday, and I experienced everything you described.but like you I didn't need the pain medicine either. My only regret is why did I put this off for 2 years. And I was a little nervous but the doctors help me overcome my nervousness. Good luck and hope you have a speedy recovery.
  • katematt313
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your kindness!!

I had the VSG as planned, exactly one week ago, and I feel great. After a couple days of nausea and some small pain, I was fine to go home, and I haven't needed any of the pain or nausea medicine since. I am also one of the lucky ones who can drink a lot of fluids without issues, so keeping hydrated has not been a problem. I am definitely ready for solid foods, though!!

:smile:
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    So glad it went well for you! I look forward to sharing this journey with you and watching your successes! :flowerforyou:
  • katematt313
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. Your encouragement and success (and hiccup) stories are helpful and inspiring. I am glad to be part of such a supportive, kind, online community. It is a real blessing!

Keep up the good work :smile: