Victoza..my miracle drug

Options
farfromthetree
farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
About a year ago I weighed my highest at 173, and was diagnosed diabetic. I tried everything to lose weight including low carb, paleo, low fat, nutri system, etc...I finally went to an endocrinologist who specialized in weight loss.
She put me on Metformin and this did help control my appetite somewhat. I went back after 3 months and she put me on a drug called Victoza. It is a Diabetes medication but has a side effect of weight loss.
Well, the first 2 months on Victoza were rough. I had NO appetite and actually ate like a person who had gastric bypass.There was nausea involved but I knew that going in. For the first few weeks, I could not work out due to the nausea but the weight fell off of me. Some may say that is not healthy but, i decided to just go with it, lose the weight and worry about the exercise later. After 3 months, I did go off of it and have continued to lose weight. I always track my calories in addition to the Victoza. I have continued to lose weight and not only went back to working out but am so much better at it now! So much easier to exercise when you are not overweight. I was also able to go off my blood pressure meds.
I could not have done it without the Victoza, it taught me how to eat and I believe "reset" my system. I have a few MFP friends who are taking it and they are having similar results.
I wanted to share this with others on MFP who have high sugar levels and may be eligible to be on this medication. I know Victoza gave me this new life, and I am very grateful to the physician who knew to prescribe it.

Replies

• lose2win100
    Options
    Glad you were able to take it for 3 months. I took it for a month and I thought it was going to kill me. I was sick the entire time. Each day was worse than the day before. I had no energy, no appetite, constant nausea, and felt like I had the flu. I lost 19 pounds in that month but oh my, the loss was costly.

The illness could be because I have gastroparesis.
  • farfromthetree
    Options
    Glad you were able to take it for 3 months. I took it for a month and I thought it was going to kill me. I was sick the entire time. Each day was worse than the day before. I had no energy, no appetite, constant nausea, and felt like I had the flu. I lost 19 pounds in that month but oh my, the loss was costly.

The illness could be because I have gastroparesis.

I'm sorry it made you so sick, I hope the Dr. had you start at the lowest dose...if not, that could have been the cause also. 19 pounds in a month is way too much!
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Thanks for sharing how you didn't give up when weight loss was difficult, found an endocrinologist who could help you, were willing to try Victoza, and stuck with your long-term plan of healthier eating and regular exercise. All too often we get stuck, feel like we're failing, and give up. You didn't give up and looking for ways to reach your goals. There's a good article here that explains how incretin mimetics, the type of drug that includes Victoza, Byetta and Bydureon, work. Sometimes people who don't tolerate one of these can tolerate a different medication. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/type-2-diabetes/expert-answers/byetta/faq-20057955 ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info on Victoza.
  • KatherineMichelle72
    Options
    I just started Victoza just over a week ago.. dropped 9 lbs in the first week but also nausea, and lots of fatigue... I have decided to stick with it after reading alot of ppl saying that the side effects tend to wear off in abt a month... today is the first day I have not needed to take a nap!!! and have eaten somewhat normally with no nausea... I take each day as it comes and do the best I can... and congrats on getting on track and feeling better!!!
  • rheannaraye
    rheannaraye Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am so happy that it's helping so many people! When I took it, I did experience the appetite suppressant - I was NEVER hungry and would have to force myself to eat to get my calories in - but I didn't have any other effects. No weight loss, and my sugars were no closer to being controlled. I'm so very glad for so many others though! That's great!!! :)
  • farfromthetree
    Options
    I just started Victoza just over a week ago.. dropped 9 lbs in the first week but also nausea, and lots of fatigue... I have decided to stick with it after reading alot of ppl saying that the side effects tend to wear off in abt a month... today is the first day I have not needed to take a nap!!! and have eaten somewhat normally with no nausea... I take each day as it comes and do the best I can... and congrats on getting on track and feeling better!!!

Congratulations! That is exactly how it worked for me in the beginning! I did not think I was going to make it! It will get better, then worse again as you increase your dose...then better again. The most important thing is to lose the weight, and learn in the process how to eat (correct portions) . I was very nervous to stop it once I lost the weight, and luckily I have continued to lose on my own. I really do not have the appetite I had pre-victoza and am very much in control. (so far, I don't want to get too cocky, it is a lifelong dedication)
    I also had very quick weight loss in the beginning, I am sure this is where the fatigue came into play. If your weight is causing medical problems, make that your priority. You can always add exercise when things have leveled off. Be sure to drink PLENTY of water!!! or if you need a flavor, try Vitamin water zero or G2 low calorie...good luck!
  • farfromthetree
    Options
    I am so happy that it's helping so many people! When I took it, I did experience the appetite suppressant - I was NEVER hungry and would have to force myself to eat to get my calories in - but I didn't have any other effects. No weight loss, and my sugars were no closer to being controlled. I'm so very glad for so many others though! That's great!!! :)

Hi! I am sorry it did not work for you. Do you have any other medical conditions, such as thyroid? If not, I am confused as to how it did not work. If you are not eating, you should be losing weight. Were you faithful in taking it? How long did you try for? Did you log your calories daily (weighing and measuring?) If not, you still may have been consuming too many calories. I am really just guessing here. Did the doctor give you an explanation? Well, I am really sorry to hear that. I looked at your profile, would you consider opening your diary? Make sure to figure out your TDEE and determine how many calories to eat in a day to safely lose weight. I would be happy to help you if you wanted. I am no expert but I could take a look.

BTW, I love the rewards you set for yourself!!
  • KatherineMichelle72
    Options

Congratulations! That is exactly how it worked for me in the beginning! I did not think I was going to make it! It will get better, then worse again as you increase your dose...then better again. The most important thing is to lose the weight, and learn in the process how to eat (correct portions) . I was very nervous to stop it once I lost the weight, and luckily I have continued to lose on my own. I really do not have the appetite I had pre-victoza and am very much in control. (so far, I don't want to get too cocky, it is a lifelong dedication)
    I also had very quick weight loss in the beginning, I am sure this is where the fatigue came into play. If your weight is causing medical problems, make that your priority. You can always add exercise when things have leveled off. Be sure to drink PLENTY of water!!! or if you need a flavor, try Vitamin water zero or G2 low calorie...good luck!

Yes ugh water is another problem... pre-Victoza I could drink a gallon a day but now.. I barely drink 5 or 6 cups.. gonna try flavored water today and see if that helps... thanks!!!
  • joycemarie49
    joycemarie49 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Victoza worked like a charm for me. Not only did I loose weight, but my blood sugars were normal, and so was my blood pressure. Unfortunately, I only had a 3 month supply of samples. The cost of Victoza in Canada is over $250 per month, Pharmacare will not cover it and I live on a small pension so there is no way I can afford it. I've tried several other medications (insulin, trajenta, glyberide, etc) and all of them cause me to gain weight at an alarming rate. At 240 pounds, I cannot afford to gain any more weight. Not only that, my blood sugars are not where they were on Victoza. Does anyone know where I can get Victoza for less money?
  • farfromthetree
    Options
    Victoza worked like a charm for me. Not only did I loose weight, but my blood sugars were normal, and so was my blood pressure. Unfortunately, I only had a 3 month supply of samples. The cost of Victoza in Canada is over $250 per month, Pharmacare will not cover it and I live on a small pension so there is no way I can afford it. I've tried several other medications (insulin, trajenta, glyberide, etc) and all of them cause me to gain weight at an alarming rate. At 240 pounds, I cannot afford to gain any more weight. Not only that, my blood sugars are not where they were on Victoza. Does anyone know where I can get Victoza for less money?

Boy, that is a lot of samples!! Luckily my insurance covered it since my my sugars were high. Do you not have insurance? I would think it would be covered for you.You could try calling the drug company, maybe they have some ideas?? How much did you lose while on it? I took Victoza for 3 months, that whole time I logged my calories and I re-learned the proper amount for me to eat. I have been off Victoza for months now and I continued to lose since I now had a grip on weighing/measuring/and portion control. I may not be able to help with the Victoza issue but if you want help with using this site, calorie counting, I may be able to help a little. Calorie counting works with or without the Victoza. Like I said, the Victoza was a huge help for me and I dont know if I would have ever done it without first using it. But I have learned that I was totally over eating and have learned how to scale it back. Good luck!!