"Body Logic" HRT or other options in menopause

Options
wendafay
wendafay Posts: 8 Member
Hi there!

I am 55. Over the last 2 years, I've lost about 40 pounds. I would quickly lose 10 or 20 pounds, and then enter a tremendously long stall. Sometimes regaining then losing again. But I have a much better handle on the emotional aspect of eating now, and since limiting my carbs, I have almost no cravings.

I'm in another seeming stall.

I eat between 1100 and 1500 calories a day. With a few splurges here and there, which are actually supposed to help keep your body 'reassured' it isn't starving to death, right? Keeping the body guessing. But if I eat more than 1500 calories, I will gain weight.

I drink water, take coconut oil, insulin-sensitive chromium.. eat protein 3x a day or more, for a snack; eat no or very little sugar (still a small amount of artificial sweetener a couple times a week).

I tried the Slow Carb diet, the Up Day/Down Day Diet, the Rotation Diet (that used to work like a dream!), the Carb Addict's Diet. The latter seems to be the best way for me to eat to avoid cravings. Another program I've succeeded on before was Lean for Life. But now, nothing seems to work after I drop a certain amount of weight.

I need knee replacements, so walking is difficult But I swim, use a recumbant bike, and use resistance bands and weights.

I JUST WANT TO LOSE THIS WEIGHT.

I have read a few different places, here and Spark People, about women post-menopause having great success with Body Logic. It is very expensive to do.

Does anyone know of them and the success rate?

I feel pretty desperate.

The worst thing is the judgment I get from family and even friends, who don't believe I am really trying.

I went through the pre-bariatric classes but I just don't like the idea of doing that to my body and having to live forever taking vitamins and essentially eating the way I eat right now. Why pay all the money if I just end up in the same place. I follow a bariatric site and yes a lot do lose weight, but they go through stalls also. Many gain it back because they didn't learn how to tame emotional eating.

But, I'm almost on the verge of considering it again. What stops me is the idea that their metabolism gets ruined and to keep the weight off, they have to exercise like maniacs. How can their bodies not enter starvation mode when they are only eating 4oo or 5oo calories a day for the first couple months? Why can't I do that too, then?? I could take phentermine for the hunger.

Replies

• Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    My weight hasn't varied much over the years, but my energy level and mood took a hit with menopause. I was bone crushingly tired by 2 p.m. and ready for bed at 8 p.m.

This sounds very strict, but what has worked for me:

eliminate flour, sugar, dairy, processed foods as much as possible.

eat 6 times a day at roughly 3 to 4 hour intervals.

I'm neither a nutritionist or a scientist, but my theory is that as we mature our bodies become more sensitive to processed foods, dairy, and gluten.

I feel 1000 percent better, I no longer have cravings, and I've stopped gaining weight. (I'm 5 ft 8 and weigh between 139 and 142...but it was taking all my energy to stay at that range before...now I don't even think about it.)
  • wendafay
    wendafay Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    thanks... I already don't eat any flour or processed foods, and very rarely do I eat sugar. If I do it is a low glycemic organic macaroon sweetened with agave.

I do eat some cheese still, but I stopped eating cottage cheese because of the sugar in it from the milk.

I also believe that as we age we can't process things like we used to. That's why I no longer eat flour etc. ... just vegetables and protein mostly... with a potato or fruit sometimes.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I've found what works for me: 2 fruits to 5 veggies. I can easily overdo it on fruit.
  • annarouni
    annarouni Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yeah, fruit. Fruit! We're coming to that part of the year where the produce department
    at the market is a minefield. Apricots, strawberries, coming soon will be the cherries,
    blueberries, plums, peaches. Such beauties and so hard to resist. Fortunately, thanks
    to corporate farming and other attendant influences, fruit these days is picked green so
    it will ship better. It looks a lot better than it actually tastes. My mouth remembers what
    it should taste like from days gone by, and then I get a bit disappointed when I bite into
    something that tastes more like eating a tennis ball.... just had a less than glorious apricot
    for breakfast. Do tennis balls have calories? I bet they do ..... ;((