New Here. Just Had Gastric Bypass. Need Advice Please.

Options
Hi, my name is Paula and I just had Gastric Bypass this past Wednesday, May 20th. My weight on the 20th was 321lbs. I'm having a really hard time adjusting right now. I was given instruction from my surgeon and dietician and have spoken with them since but, I'm still having trouble figuring out how much to eat and what times. I'm so afraid I'm going to stretch out my pouch. =( I'm so desperate for this to be successful I'm afraid to consume anything because I feel like it's going to be too much. I'm currently on my 2nd day of the full liquid phase and I'm also having a hard time finding things that I like. Help. I welcome any advice.

Replies

• bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I found I had to get creative to learn new ways to make things I like high protein and in the beginning, easy on the tummy. Theworldaccorgingtoeggface.com has tons of recipes and food ideas for all stages. Bariatricfoodie.com is another good resource. You'll get there. Weigh or measure your food. Start with 1 ounce of whatever it is. Eat\drink it slowly. Eventually you'll figure out where "full" is. You'll probably figure it out painfully more than once. You will not stretch your sleeve with a single indiscretion. When you over do it a bit, your new tummy will let you know and you will not want to repeat the experience! It'll range from a stuck in the throat feeling, to foamy spit up, to full on up chucking. Make a note of how much or what you ate and back off the amount next time. For me, I tend to lose the bit that was "too much" and nothing more when it happens, and it's less and less frequent as I learn my limits. I ate with a baby spoon for the first month. It helps you take smaller bites and slow down. Work towards getting your protein and fluids first. The food\calories will come in time. Light on calories at this stage won't make you sick, but dehydration will. And don't worry about the scale for the first 2 weeks. Your body is getting rid of all the fluids they put in you in the hospital right now so you may weigh more. I waited until my first post op appointment to weigh at the Dr's office, then only once per week after that. Scale focus will make you crazy. Don't let yourself go there. Best of luck, you'll get there!
  • GraceByMySide
    GraceByMySide Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That is great advice!! My sleeve will be done in 3 days, and I'm beginning to get a bit anxious!! This helps!! :smile:
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    My RNY was over 5 years ago. I went from 340 and now maintain around 140.

The first month I lived on 4 Slim Fast high protein shakes a day. I could have progressed to solid food sooner, but I was overwhelmed so I stuck to the liquid diet. It takes a while to get used to but it does get better. Hang in there!!
  • prettiestpaula
    prettiestpaula Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the good advice. i was just curious but, right now i just drank 10oz of chicken broth in like 20 minutes.. is that too much? I've read people have a hard time getting 3 oz in and i just drank all that. i feel like my pouch is broke or something.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the good advice. i was just curious but, right now i just drank 10oz of chicken broth in like 20 minutes.. is that too much? I've read people have a hard time getting 3 oz in and i just drank all that. i feel like my pouch is broke or something.

I'm sure everything is fine with your pouch. Liquids will go straight through. What does your surgeon say about portion sizes?? When you move to solid food, please measure. Your nerves have been cut and it may take a while to feel "full".
  • adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hey girl. I just had my sleeve done on May 5th. One thing that helps is a food scale. I got it months ago and it has been an eye opener. So once you progress to soft foods you can measure out one ounce of turkey lunch meat or an ounce of pasta. I got little baby sized plates and bowls, so food does not look like some kind of ironic modern art on my normal sized plates. I can eat more liquid food like yogurt and soup Than I can of more solid stuff. But weigh and measure it all. Prepack your lunches for work. Take the guess work out of it.
  • Dannadl
    Dannadl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Slow down, calm down. Your stomach is still healing you really don't need to worry about stretching your pouch right now. According to my surgeon, the way pouches get stretched is month after surgery (NOT days) through routine overeating and vomiting. Make an appointment with or a phone appointment with the dietitian at your surgeon's office and get granularly specific with them about what you should eat and when. Write out a schedule if you need to.

I'm 26 months post RNY. Here's what to expect in the months to come;

You will go through periods in which you will not like anything you can eat. It happens, eat what you're supposed to anyway and have faith, it will pass.

You will have weight loss stalls, you will panic. My advise when this happens is to have a friend or family member remove your scale from your home for about a month. I was about 3 weeks post op and hit a stall. I made myself crazy weighing myself multiple times a day convinced I was the only person in the world that this surgery wouldn't work on. My husband took the scale to work with him. Best thing he could have done for me. I could do nothing but focus on behaviors and following the rules. After a month, I got back on the scale and had lost quite a bit of weight.

You will very likely go through a period 3-4 months out where very little agrees with your pouch and you puke a lot. It too will pass.

You will likely have hair loss. I tried Niacin supplements and Nioxin shampoo, didn't help. But, the hair loss stops and the hair regrows. It will pass.

You will make dietary mistakes, and you will learn from them.

You will decide you don't need to log anymore, but you will be wrong. Keep logging.

After the 1st year it will become harder. Your weight loss will slow down and you will be able to eat more than you can now. This is where logging, exercising and staying diligent will help a great deal.

Here's the upside: My starting weight was 347lbs (I'm 5'7" and 46 years old). My current weight is 170lbs. I lost 124lbs the 1st year and I didn't exercise at all (I don't recommend this but want to be honest about it). The second year I lost 41lbs and exercised a lot but didn't log my food or watch my diet very well. I've lost the rest in the last 2 months and I've been logging and exercising. I'd like to lose 30-40lbs more.

My husband had RNY 2 months after I did and he lost 180lbs in 6 months never exercising. He's maintained it and still doesn't exercise. Men really suck sometimes when it comes to weight loss. I'm happy for him, but yes indeed a bit frustrating to live with that when I'm still working so hard to lose. He went through everything I listed above as well.

The question I get all the time is about loose skin. Yes I have some loose skin. It's not as bad as I expected, but it's there. My upper arms have some wings and I've always been pear shaped so my stomach, thighs and hips could definitely look better.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Stop panicking. You're still on liquid phase and still healing. The first month is liquids and soft mushies which equates to bland food you will probably grow bored with very quickly. Take your time and eat mindfully. Try to recognize your full cues. It will help keep you from overeating when you start more solid foods later.

Everyone is different with different tolerances. I have read posts from people who can't tolerate many foods easily, but I have only been sick from food intolerance/overeating 2-3 times in 9 months.

Best of luck moving forward.
  • MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on your decision towards a healthier life. Now, as everyone else has said, take a deep breath and call your nutritionist. This is the best advice anyone can give you. Your bariatric surgeon's office should have a nutritionist on staff. There really is so much to learn that you just don't absorb prior to surgery.

As already stated, get in your water. I had to add (and still do, nearly 2 years post-surgery) a small amount of Crystal Light lemonade powder to my water to make it palatable. For the first couple of months I lived on Wonder Slim protein shakes and hot cocoa. It was the only protein drink I could "stomach". :smile: I also ate Greek yogurt, daily.

A word of caution - eat and drink slowly! Some things might go down easily but don't want to stay there. I still can't handle pasta, rice and really spicy foods. And while this might be TMI, vomiting is different post-surgery. It's more like a cat hacking up a hair ball. Sorry for the graphic details!

There's so much info to pass on, but it can be overwhelming all at once. Just keep asking questions here on MFP and you will get sound advice from its members. Best wishes!!
  • jackierhof
    jackierhof Posts: 17
    Options
    What do you measure? and how do you know specific quatities or portions? Thank you. I have a scale and am preparing for my July sleeve.
  • JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    First I want to say to the successful members who have posted YOU ARE AWESOME!! This is why I love this group so much, Honest to goodness great people who are willing to help the newbies like Paula and myself and countless others who are nervous and confused and even downright scared. Paula I am sure you will soon see a few more post from some other members who also give great advice to us, and check out those numbers right!? 125, 132, 202 pounds LOST! I will listen to every thing they have to say! :laugh:

Stick with us, Paula. Read other threads and write down ideas you think may work for you, I will be joining you soon and may need advice from YOU! :wink:

Don't be afraid to ask more questions, another idea I would suggest is to friend some of our successful members where you could get some more personal interaction.

You got this!! :heart:
  • prettiestpaula
    prettiestpaula Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone!!! I'm glad I posted because you all have given me some great advice. yesterday was a better day. I think one of my problems may be that I'm eating too fast and not recognizing I'm full until it's too late. yesterday and today I made sure I counted to 30 between each sip and it helped. I also never realized how much I really relied on food for comfort or when I'm bored. I definitely need to work on that too. i'll be on soft foods in a couple days and surely will be weighing everything I put into my mouth. I do have a scale already just haven't used it yet. I broke down and weighed myself today and I'm down 5lbs.. not too shabby for being 6 days out. can't wait till I have a double digit loss. thanks again!!
  • adiggs2777
    Options
    "What do you measure? and how do you know specific quatities or portions? Thank you. I have a scale and am preparing for my July sleeve."

I made sure to get a digital scale that allows you to tare out the weight of my dishes/bowls. Then if a package says the serving size is 3 ounces, I weigh out the item until I have the serving size. Now my portions are smaller than that due to my sleeve. Since you are pre op, it's a good time to get used to what a size actually is. Like, a serving of pasta is 2 ounces according to the box. That's a small amount and was eye opening to me when I first got my scale. I'm used to a plate full, after all.

It also helps for something like an ounce of cheese. You can weigh a slice or shreds and see the serving size for different shapes.

Sorry if this is formatted wrong, I'm writing this on the train on my phone!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    when i first went on to purees i bought baby food because i couldn't be doing with blending food for 10 minutes then sieving it for me to only manage a couple spoonfuls

fluids fluids fluids. without enough i get dizzy and lightheaded quickly

im 4 months out and on solids and i keep a tea towel next to me when i eat in case my pouch throws a strop and i get the frothies
    one day something will go down fine and the next day 2 bites in and my pouch objects

its all a learning curve in the early days

check sugar contents of "diet" yogurts, ive had mild dumping from a few of them
  • TiffanyLynne73
    Options
    Congratulations Paula. I'm so happy for you. I understand and sympathize with you over your concerns. I'm having my RNY a week from Tuesday (June 17th) and I'm so nervous/anxious and just want everything to go well.
    I'll be following all of your posts. Anxious to see and read of your progress.
  • meyou4042
    meyou4042 Posts: 40
    Options
    I am not really sure I want to ask, but can you explain this "frothing" that you mention:

"im 4 months out and on solids and i keep a tea towel next to me when i eat in case my pouch throws a strop and i get the frothies
    one day something will go down fine and the next day 2 bites in and my pouch objects "

It sounds, well, kind gross!
  • adiggs2777
    Options
    I am not really sure I want to ask, but can you explain this "frothing" that you mention:

"im 4 months out and on solids and i keep a tea towel next to me when i eat in case my pouch throws a strop and i get the frothies
    one day something will go down fine and the next day 2 bites in and my pouch objects "

It sounds, well, kind gross!

It certainly can be. Foods you loved pre-op may not agree with you post op. Food you hated might not be so bad anymore. Things that are too greasy/fatty/sugary may come right back up or knock you out of commission with headaches and nausea.

You really do need to commit to a whole new way of eating. And there is a learning curve. You can go to all the nutrition classes and take notes and you will still be fumbling through what to eat/not eat and what works/does not work because your body has been fundamentally altered.
  • PeachyGAPeanut
    Options
    Off subject- is there any way that I can save this thread? I am in the process of doing a revision (UGH) and would love to remember these tips. :)
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Off subject- is there any way that I can save this thread? I am in the process of doing a revision (UGH) and would love to remember these tips. :)

You can bookmark this page, just as with any webpage. Or, since you added a response to the thread, it will now show up on your News Feed and recent posts list, so you can find it later.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

You can bookmark this page, just as with any webpage. Or, since you added a response to the thread, it will now show up on your News Feed and recent posts list, so you can find it later.

Or cut and paste the tips into a separate document (Word, whatever) where you can save tips from wherever you have found them.