Expected Weight Loss First Two Months after Surgery

Options
Again. I know it depends on the individual, but I am just looking for ball park - what everyone else has experienced. I know that I will lose during the two week liquid diet prior to surgery, but am wondering what kind of loss to expect following surgery? I am 240 now....

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there really is no ball park. I wish there was a better answer, but everyone is different.
  • patti04005
    patti04005 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had my Gastric Bypass on 5/6/14 and I have been losing about 3 to 4 pounds a week since. I weighed 223 when I had the surgery and now weight 194. I lost 10 lbs on the liquid diet before the surgery. Good luck with your surgery ..prepare yourself now to take little sips of water at a time all day long it will help you to do it after the surgery...that was tough for me.
  • meyou4042
    meyou4042 Posts: 40
    Options
    Patti,

Thank you for that info! I was just talking to a friend today at work about how much I drink water, and can literally guzzle a 16 to 20 oz bottle of water! I am going to practice not drinking at the same time as eating, and doing the small sips. I am fine with drinking water - do it 80% of the time now, so that will not be an issue.
  • mpweathe
    mpweathe Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I had my 3 month check up today and I have lost 35lbs.
  • vsg_joanna
    vsg_joanna Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Sunday was my two month check in (surgery date: 4/8/2014) and I have lost 32.2lbs. Also, I went from a size 20 to a 16 now in pants.
  • meyou4042
    Options
    WOW!! Thank you all for sharing your weight loss with me! I really appreciate it! I saw my PCP this morning and restarted the monthly weight loss/diet process with her. I am going to the new Dr's information session this evening as well, and am hoping to really get things moving!!!
  • adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I got sleeved on Cinco de Mayo of this year. In the month since I've lost a total of 32 lbs. It was bizarre. I went to bed, and woke up one day and literally lost 7lbs overnight. But it slows down from that first couple weeks!
  • meyou4042
    Options
    WOW!! That is awesome and incredible! I can only hope for similar results! : - )
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    First month after surgery - 0 lost (VERY frustrating!)
    Second month - 27 lbs

I started at 275 and was about 255 on the date of surgery.

Everybody is different. Your body's going to do what it's going to do. Stick to the food plan your team gives you and try to form new healthy eating habits. Good luck!
  • Ujj7
    Ujj7 Posts: 51
    Options
    I lost 11 lb my first week and nothing my second.