More on "Great Job" - in the real world!

Options
124»

Replies

• Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    What I also think we can all agree on is that it is nasty and rude when a faster runner tallies you as a kill. :laugh: I'm preparing to be kill counted this weekend at Ragnar. Do not enjoy. :wink:

Yeah I had that happen. Thought it was a bit weird, when I heard it. (much younger runner).
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly hoping that some fellow runners will offer me some encouraging words this Sunday.

I won't have anybody along the course route to personally cheer for me - I'm just going to ride on the coat tails of others and absorb the support that is out there for them. :-)

I actually started to worry today that what if I don't have anybody waiting for me at the finish line either? Will a course volunteer hug me and hold me and tell me I did a great job...please?

You will have so many people out there caring about you, you won't even believe it.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Ok, actually, I DO take a little offense to the faster runners saying stuff to me as the pass me like "doing good" or "keep going". I ALSO take full responsibility for my feelings and know that they in NO WAY mean "it's a miracle you can even run a mile you fat *kitten*! You CAN finish this 5K without kicking the bucket if you REALLY try!" My own insecurities are the reason I take offense (although I always smile and give a thumbs up to whoever spoke to me- they would have no idea that I actually just projected a lifetime of self- esteem issues on to their comment! ) I feel stupid even admitting those comments meant to be encouraging and cohesive make me feel small, but just thought I would add my two cents!

I don't know you but I love you.

That was my first few months of Couch to 5k. That's when I *learned* to take honks and hoots positively.

Have you done a half yet? There's something about a half that negates any amount of suckage from any runs afterwards. You might be total crap as a runner, but you ran for 13.1 miles and that's something.

I'm registered for my first half the end of July! I'm up to a 12 mile long run too! So yes, remembering that I CAN actually run fairly extraordinary distances (to non-runners) is important! I'm just so new to running and pretty insecure about it. Mostly just because my body does not look like a "runners body" so I ASSUME (which we all know what that does!) that people that comment to me assume that I am completely un-athletic and this is the first time I've ever ventured outside. But that is SO STUPID. Really, who cares? Nobody. just me being silly! Encourage away! It will help me come to terms with my issues!! BTW, I love you too! :flowerforyou:

I so totally get this. Last year when I was just finishing up C25K I was out practicing the course of a 5K that I was registered for and a couple of guys probably 10 years older than me went past me - I was huffing & puffing and they weren't even breathing hard. One of them said "Good job!" and I spent the next mile trying to decide if that was supposed to be encouraging or if he was mocking me. I finally decided it was encouraging (and now I totally believe that). But there again that was my insecurity speaking. Not a runner's body. Sweating my a** off. Probably bright red on top of that. I haven't done any races longer than a 5K yet (my first half is in 2 weeks) but when I see people when I'm out running I do the wave & smile.
  • sinister2014
    sinister2014 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    my 'great job' experiment from the weekend.

i ran a 10k out and back race on the weekend. it was pretty laid back and low key. there was a 5km and 15km option as well. probably 200 runners total all on the same course with the turn arounds stretched out further along.
    i said 'good job' to about 90% of the people that passed me or i passed on the way back.
    i'd say maybe 5 or 6 said anything back. i don't think most of them considered it a compliment or encouraging.
    only one guy was actually enthusiastic about it. him and his buddy passed me at the turn around and he gave me a really loud 'hey great job man'.
    i passed him around the 7km mark and he gave me another encouraging shout out. in the final 500m him and his buddy came flying past me and we crossed the finish line i gave him a "strong finish. nice job" because he really was hauling *kitten* at the end.
    i'm not sure what to make of it all. i think maybe there were quite a few newer racers there and they weren't sure what to make of people saying 'good job'
    at least one guy (and his buddy) seemed to think along the same lines as most people here.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite is the high five. Usually this can only be done if you coming from opposite directions but if you're doing an out and back race or loops then there is opportunity. No words needed, just high five. It's the ultimate boost.

Except when you are spaz like me and miss it. :blushing:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    My personal favorite is the high five. Usually this can only be done if you coming from opposite directions but if you're doing an out and back race or loops then there is opportunity. No words needed, just high five. It's the ultimate boost.

Except when you are spaz like me and miss it. :blushing:

I actually managed to deliver one the other day.

A girl had just come in from a Team in Training run when I finally made it in after my group trail run. Somebody asked her how it went and she said "I finished." I was walking past her at that moment and reached out my hand to give her a high five.

I'm an epic spaz, so it's amazing that I didn't trip or something at that moment, but it felt really good. Really good.