Does anyone do water jogging?

Options
bettyjoburdett
bettyjoburdett Posts: 120 Member
Hi fellow fish,

I saw a link to this group on another forum and thought I would enjoy posting with others who love the water as I do.

I have an above ground round pool that is large but nothing like the gyms or YMCA's have, so I don't do laps, I jog around, do leg lifts and kicks, do a lot of arm swings under the water. I do this rapidly to get my heart rate up and then slow down a little. I try to do 30 minutes of this. Then I take a float, noodle or ring and push under water with my arms and then heels to work on my abs. I do this for about 15 minutes. I then do about 10 minutes of leg lifts and stretching.

I have been reading your posts and they sound very professional and VERY long. I am wondering if anyone has any info on calorie burn doing what I described above? I am 60 years old and have lost 45 lbs. but still weigh 193 lbs. Please advise me or give me some suggestions :embarassed:

Replies

• LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I do AquaFit which sounds somewhat like what you do. MFP does have water aerobics listed in their database.

A heart rate monitor that can be wore in the pool would give you a calorie burn applicable to you. I wear my mine Polar HRM in the pool & record the calories that way.
  • bettyjoburdett
    bettyjoburdett Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I do AquaFit which sounds somewhat like what you do. MFP does have water aerobics listed in their database.

A heart rate monitor that can be wore in the pool would give you a calorie burn applicable to you. I wear my mine Polar HRM in the pool & record the calories that way.

Thanks for the information. I'm not sure what AguaFit is but I will google it as well as the Polar HRM. Would you tell me what your average workout time is and the calories burned?
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I can wear my Polar HRM in the pool??
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Yes it can be wore in water. Look at the user manual near the back.

My calorie burn for AquaFit would not necessarily be the same as yours, as it is based on my age, height, weight & how much effort I put into the class. I'm currently: age 60, 62" tall, 112 lbs. I usually burn at least 300 cals in a hour class. Part of the class uses styrofoam Dumbbells. The last part of class is stretching.
  • smm773
    smm773 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do a water aerobics class every saturday, and then as part of my swim routine i do a lap or kick, pull, and then jog-totaling 8 laps of jogging. it sure does get my heart rate up! keep up the good work!