Lowering body fat %

Options
midnightisolde
midnightisolde Posts: 60 Member
Can anyone give me some advice regarding lowering body fat%?
Right now I'm about 27-28%, (although this is based on pictures from 17th April and one from mid May, so it might be slightly lower) but I would like to get down to around 20-22%.
My current stats are as follows:
Height 5'4'
Weight: hovering between 126-127.5lbs.
Bust:35.5 inches
Waist: 27.9 inches
Hips: 38.5 inches

I train 3-4 times per week, the Strong Curves body-weight program as I can't get to a gym right now, but I try to apply the rule of progressive overload by doing more difficult variations. I'm on week 12 of this program right now and with it, along with Mark Lauren's body by You program, I have made good strength gains - I can do 5 full push-ups whereas I couldn't do any before for example. Comparing my starting progress pics to my newest ones from April/May (I haven't taken new ones yet), there is a difference in physical appearance.
I am looking to repeat this program as I can't get to a gym right now, but only the last two stages (weeks 5-8 and weeks 9-12) and using more challenging variations on certain moves. I will then do the beginner's lifting program.
I plan on integrating more HIIT sessions as well and more walks.
As I am back home from university, I am more sedentary than I am there - I would usually be walking to/from and around campus and cooking and cleaning etc. To compensate for my lessened steady sate cardio, I am thinking about going for walks or maybe jogging.

In regards to food intake, my calories are set to 1600 per day, aiming to reach 45% carbs, 30% fat and 25% protein. So ideally, 180g carbs, 53g fat and 100g protein. Sometimes, I will be over on protein, but this is obviously no bad thing. Last week, my percentages were 45% carbs, 29% fat and 26% protein.
I use a food scale and measuring jug. I am diligent about this for breakfast and lunch, but could tighten this up for dinner.
My food intake is good Monday to Wednesday. Thursday and Friday is also good but we have a Chinese takeaway for dinner on Thursday which I spread out for dinner on Thursday and Friday. Saturday and Sunday are the biggest area for improvement.
I think upping my protein percentage and eliminating takeaways at the weekend will be the best solution here.

My diary is open so I would like your opinions.

I think these are the areas for improvement:
Up protein to 30% perhaps
Eliminate takeaways at the weekend
Add HIIT sessions
Moderate cardio such as walking and swimming perhaps
Consistent strength training.
Accurate food measuring.

Replies

• midnightisolde
    Options
    Right now I'm about 27-28%, (although this is based on pictures from 17th April and one from mid May, so it might be slightly lower) but I would like to get down to around 20-22%.
    Height 5'4'

I train 3-4 times per week, the Strong Curves body-weight program as I can't get to a gym right now, but I try to apply the rule of progressive overload by doing more difficult variations. I'm on week 12 of this program right now and with it, along with Mark Lauren's body by You program, I have made good strength gains - I can do 5 full push-ups whereas I couldn't do any before for example. Comparing my starting progress pics to my newest ones from April/May (I haven't taken new ones yet), there is a difference in physical appearance.
    I am looking to repeat this program as I can't get to a gym right now, but only the last two stages (weeks 5-8 and weeks 9-12) and using more challenging variations on certain moves. I will then do the beginner's lifting program.
    As I am back home from university, I am more sedentary than I am there - I would usually be walking to/from and around campus and cooking and cleaning etc. To compensate for my lessened steady sate cardio, I am thinking about going for walks or maybe jogging.

In regards to food intake, my calories are set to 1600 per day, aiming to reach 45% carbs, 30% fat and 25% protein. So ideally, 180g carbs, 53g fat and 100g protein. Sometimes, I will be over on protein, but this is obviously no bad thing. Last week, my percentages were 45% carbs, 29% fat and 26% protein.
    I use a food scale and measuring jug. I am diligent about this for breakfast and lunch, but could tighten this up for dinner.
    My food intake is good Monday to Wednesday. Thursday and Friday is also good but we have a Chinese takeaway for dinner on Thursday which I spread out for dinner on Thursday and Friday. Saturday and Sunday are the biggest area for improvement.
    I think upping my protein percentage and eliminating takeaways at the weekend will be the best solution here.

Add HIIT sessions
    Accurate food measuring.
    I usually eat between 1450 to 1600 a day, and macros are generally ok.
    I have looked at TDEE calculators such as:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html

I put myself at moderate activity levels and they estimate me at 2190 and 2280 repectively to maintain. So TDEE - 15% = 1750-1800 calories.
    On the other hand, http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ gives me between 1800-1898 to maintain. So TDEE -15% = about 1600

My question is, is the reason why I haven't lost any weight because I have been eating more than I think due to inaccurate measuring and eating out/takeaways or am I in fact eating slightly too little? Also which calculation is best for fat loss?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Tagging
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    bumping to hear some useful information on this -- i've been working hard to lower myself from a current estimated 21-23% to 18% goal and feel "stuck" also
  • SideSteel
    Options
    bumping to hear some useful information on this -- i've been working hard to lower myself from a current estimated 21-23% to 18% goal and feel "stuck" also

So just generally speaking in most contexts the answer is to eat in a slight calorie deficit and resistance train. You could also present some scenarios where someone may wish to attempt to eat at or near maintenance intake and gradually recomp and that's going to be somewhat dependent on bodyweight and preferences.

But overall the advice that we may give to someone in their specific situation MAY not be applicable to your situation.
  • 15Nov2013
    15Nov2013 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert but i managed to go down to 22% body fat slowly throughout a whole year ... i am the same height as you are and weigh 132 lb at the moment ... i eat between 1900 - 1800 Calories (i go on a re-feed once a week or once every 5 days) and focus on protein intake ... i don't do any protein or any other supplements ... i train 2 times a week (sometimes 3 but that's rare), i don't do any cardio just my own version of strong lifts 5X5 ...i add weights very slowly though (very slow progress) ... that's it

I found that the key is time, patience and consistency ... i don't work hard ... i just do what i can sustain over time

Hope it helped
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Bumping this up for useful information:)
  • charliehefferon
    charliehefferon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    bump for info
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Height 5'4'

Add HIIT sessions
    Accurate food measuring.

I put myself at moderate activity levels and they estimate me at 2190 and 2280 repectively to maintain. So TDEE - 15% = 1750-1800 calories.
    On the other hand, http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ gives me between 1800-1898 to maintain. So TDEE -15% = about 1600

My question is, is the reason why I haven't lost any weight because I have been eating more than I think due to inaccurate measuring and eating out/takeaways or am I in fact eating slightly too little? Also which calculation is best for fat loss?

It will not be because you are eating too little.

On looking at your diary, you have quite a few entries that have incorrect (or no) macros and also quite a lot of take-out/restaurant food. It's not that there is anything wrong with take out food in itself, but that it is very hard to be confident of the calorie count and can lead to inaccuracies.

The best calculation to work out your TDEE is your actual results. If you are not losing weight at an intake level (baring normal fluctuations), you are at maintenance.

You have really have two choices. Eat at maintenance and recomp (where you slowly decrease body fat and increase muscle mass), or eat at a deficit, which, if you are currently maintaining, will mean that you have to drop your intake by a bit.

If you do not want to stop eating out as much, then I would suggest dropping your intake by a bit. I would do this by dropping your carbs down initially by about 25g as your protein is already a bit on the low side (although it is higher than it shows as some of the macros are missing as noted above).

It is not much of a drop in calories, but sometimes, that is all that is needed to get the weight loss going again, and dropping too low is generally, not a good idea.

I would also increase your activity - add some walks in, or as you mentioned, HIIT.

Combining a slight decrease in intake (to account for the inaccuracies) with an increase in activity should create a deficit again.
  • midnightisolde
    Options
    Height 5'4'

Add HIIT sessions
    Accurate food measuring.

On looking at your diary, you have quite a few entries that have incorrect (or no) macros and also quite a lot of take-out/restaurant food. It's not that there is anything wrong with take out food in itself, but that it is very hard to be confident of the calorie count and can lead to inaccuracies.

The best calculation to work out your TDEE is your actual results. If you are not losing weight at an intake level (baring normal fluctuations), you are at maintenance.

You have really have two choices. Eat at maintenance and recomp (where you slowly decrease body fat and increase muscle mass), or eat at a deficit, which, if you are currently maintaining, will mean that you have to drop your intake by a bit.

If you do not want to stop eating out as much, then I would suggest dropping your intake by a bit. I would do this by dropping your carbs down initially by about 25g as your protein is already a bit on the low side (although it is higher than it shows as some of the macros are missing as noted above).

It is not much of a drop in calories, but sometimes, that is all that is needed to get the weight loss going again, and dropping too low is generally, not a good idea.

I would also increase your activity - add some walks in, or as you mentioned, HIIT.

Combining a slight decrease in intake (to account for the inaccuracies) with an increase in activity should create a deficit again.

Thanks. I have decided to cut out the takeout food this week and possibly next week to concentrate on accurate calories and macros; keeping my intake at 1550-1600 for now to see what that does. I am also going to increase protein as you suggest.

As for activity, am I am going to start doing regular walks seeing as I would be quite sedentary as I'm finished at university for a few months. Just walked for 4 miles for and hour and a half around my village and reservoir/country park seeing as it's a nice day! Probably wouldn't go that far everyday though. Maybe a couple of miles.
    Then strength training 3-4 times a week - just body-weight for now as I can't get to a gym just yet (I am getting some adjustable dumbbells though soon).
    Then HIIT sessions a couple of times a week on my days off from strength training. I like to do a bit of Pilates and Yoga (the latter sometimes after strength training) as well, but they aren't really very strenuous unless you're doing more advanced types.
    I would like to drop about 4-6 pounds, but it's really only body composition/BF% that I'm focused on now to be honest.

Edit: I there a particular number range that I should aim for on my protein intake by the way?
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Tagging for info
  • CrescentCityGirl
    CrescentCityGirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Following for info.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    tag
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Tagging
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Height 5'4'

Add HIIT sessions
    Accurate food measuring.

Thanks. I have decided to cut out the takeout food this week and possibly next week to concentrate on accurate calories and macros; keeping my intake at 1550-1600 for now to see what that does. I am also going to increase protein as you suggest.

As for activity, am I am going to start doing regular walks seeing as I would be quite sedentary as I'm finished at university for a few months. Just walked for 4 miles for and hour and a half around my village and reservoir/country park seeing as it's a nice day! Probably wouldn't go that far everyday though. Maybe a couple of miles.
    Then strength training 3-4 times a week - just body-weight for now as I can't get to a gym just yet (I am getting some adjustable dumbbells though soon).
    Then HIIT sessions a couple of times a week on my days off from strength training. I like to do a bit of Pilates and Yoga (the latter sometimes after strength training) as well, but they aren't really very strenuous unless you're doing more advanced types.
    I would like to drop about 4-6 pounds, but it's really only body composition/BF% that I'm focused on now to be honest.

Edit: I there a particular number range that I should aim for on my protein intake by the way?

Sorry we missed the protein question.

This is very context dependent but generally somewhere in a range from 1g/lb lbm to about 1g/lb body weight will cover most scenarios.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Thanks on the protein comment.