Costco/Trader Joes - Paleo approved?

Options
PJBisbee
PJBisbee Posts: 27 Member
Hi Guys,

I know we are supposed to make as much as possible from scratch, but have you found any paleo approved products at Costco or Trader Joes? I work a 10 hour day and sometimes I just need a few short cuts, some quick throw together meals.

I get nuts and seeds from Trader Joes, veggies too. But what about meat, condiments, dressings, etc. Costco has prepackaged salads (in little bowls), 4 salads for $10 -- I haven't checked the ingredients yet but they probably have preservatives, not sure. Costco also has a lot of precooked meats - but again I'm not sure they're paleo approved.

Thanks!

Replies

• SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I get my Ghee and coconut fat from Trader's and they also have grass feed beef, lamb and buffalo at mine
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    It's not a matter of "paleo approved" - there is not panel of judges who certify everyone's products. ;) It's just a fact of life that in this way of eating, foods should be whole and preservative free - which means generally from scratch. Everyone runs out of time, and when that happens, you just have to look at the ingredient list. The fewer chemicals the better. Get to know what is acceptable to you - and what isn't.

Ancients knew which bird was edible and which wasn't when they hunted - the modern 'hunter/gatherer' has to know what is OK on the ingredient list and what isn't.
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's not a matter of "paleo approved" - there is not panel of judges who certify everyone's products. ;) It's just a fact of life that in this way of eating, foods should be whole and preservative free - which means generally from scratch. Everyone runs out of time, and when that happens, you just have to look at the ingredient list. The fewer chemicals the better. Get to know what is acceptable to you - and what isn't.

Ancients knew which bird was edible and which wasn't when they hunted - the modern 'hunter/gatherer' has to know what is OK on the ingredient list and what isn't.

This is pretty much my philosophy. Do as much as possible from scratch. Cook more than I need of stews, curries etc and freeze the leftovers for another day. And if I use pre-made curry pastes etc I try to ensure I can recognise all the ingredients on the label.
  • alexotica
    alexotica Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    There's industrial seed oil/vegetable oil in a lot of Trader Joe's merchandise, which is at the top of my personal "avoid" list.

There's a few fish we'll buy there.
    Grass fed beef, as mentioned, though I prefer the stuff I get at the farmer's market.
    Frozen organic vegetables and berries.
    Coconut oil.
    Guacamole.
    Produce.
    Wine.
    Goat milk.
    Plain Fage yogurt, though the fattiest they have is 2% and we've recently had access to Dreaming Cow yogurt (from grass fed cows) at our food co-op, so we don't do this as much anymore.
    Raw almond butter when it's in stock.
    Raw almonds (best deal I've found not online).
    Canned fish
    We will buy dark chocolate there occasionally. If you're avoiding all soy, including small amounts of soy lecithin (which is in most chocolate, alas), might not be the best bet.

I've looked into non-wheat/gluten free ancient grain items there, but they tend to have seed oil in them.
    The Kefir I've seen there has sugar added IIRC.

Paleo definitions/restrictions vary, so YMMV.

Edited to usage of my grammar fix yes thank you.
  • alexotica
    alexotica Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. And I think it's the cheapest Kerrygold I've been able to find.
  • PJBisbee
    PJBisbee Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm heading for the grocery stores today.
  • BrakemanSlova
    BrakemanSlova Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I definitely hit the berries at Costco, often they have organic ones - frozen and fresh.
    Sometimes I buy organic chicken which is not as good as pastured, but ...
    If you can afford a few carbs, they have a great price on maple syrup. I can't afford the carbs...
    They finally have "uncured" bacon at my Costco, but they just stopped having macadamia nuts :(
    Agree, best price on the Kerrygold butter. They also have kerrygold "dubliner" sometimes, it you are into cheese at all.
    They have Wholly Guacamole at my Costco. But maybe thats cuz this is Texas.
    Really avoid the bad oils - often something pretty good for you is ruined by canola oil or something. (I'm too old to fool around with high inflammation any more.)
  • BrakemanSlova
    Options
    Oh, yeah. If you are in a hurry, get a crockpot and make a lot of extra. I eat beef curry for breakfast sometimes. Also the breakfast egg and sausage bites recipe at marksdailyapple.com is a paleo fast food breakfast. I make a big pan of that and eat a square anytime.
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'd love some of the curry and stew recipes!
  • BrakemanSlova
    Options
    @Quinnstinct - This is what you do:
    Buy meat, canned coconut milk, coconut oil, canned tomato sauce and curry paste(online or international section of stores - check ingredients for acceptability). There are lots of kinds of curry paste.
    Brown 1-2 pounds of stew beef or chicken "tenders" (that's so you don't have to cut up any meat) in coconut oil.
    If you have time add some onions, ginger and garlic.
    Dump in a can of tomato sauce and some canned tomatoes if you want and you have enough meat in there.
    Dump in a can of regular coconut milk - get a good brand like Whole Foods 365 brand. (Scrape that good stuff out of the can!)
    Put in however much curry paste you want. Maybe about 1/4 of the jar?
    Simmer until chicken is cooked through.

You can keep fresh ginger root in the freezer and just grate it into the pan. Or you can buy it already grated in a jar. The Shah brand has a preservative but the Central Market natural kind smells kind of moldy to me in a short period of time.

I think there is a good kind of curry paste available through amazon called Mama's or something? If you like Thai food use the Thai curry paste and add a little fish sauce (also available in International section of supermarket.)

You can make cauliflower "rice" or shredded zucchini noodles to put the curry on or just eat as is (what I usually do).
  • drmartz55
    drmartz55 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Any particular brand of curry paste that is Paleo ?
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    @slova- you make that sound so simple and delicious. Thank you. I've not cooked with curry paste but there is a lovely international market near me I will try and hope I don't get anything too hot!
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Buy meat, canned coconut milk, coconut oil, canned tomato sauce and curry paste(online or international section of stores - check ingredients for acceptability). There are lots of kinds of curry paste.
    Brown 1-2 pounds of stew beef or chicken "tenders" (that's so you don't have to cut up any meat) in coconut oil.
    Dump in a can of tomato sauce and some canned tomatoes if you want and you have enough meat in there.
    Dump in a can of regular coconut milk - get a good brand like Whole Foods 365 brand. (Scrape that good stuff out of the can!)

You can keep fresh ginger root in the freezer and just grate it into the pan. Or you can buy it already grated in a jar. The Shah brand has a preservative but the Central Market natural kind smells kind of moldy to me in a short period of time.

I think there is a good kind of curry paste available through amazon called Mama's or something? If you like Thai food use the Thai curry paste and add a little fish sauce (also available in International section of supermarket.)

You can make cauliflower "rice" or shredded zucchini noodles to put the curry on or just eat as is (what I usually do).

MUST make this ASAP. Thanks for the recipe!!
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

This kind of meal is a "go to" for us. We do it with all different flavors. If I don't use coconut milk I add some eggs into the ground beef before adding the tomatoes for some extra bulk (we have five children so the eggs are a cheap, but nutrious filler). We call any and all variations of it "slop". When we serve it the kids pretned they are like Oliver Twist in an orphanage...lol
  • notyouraveragetalia
    notyouraveragetalia Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Diane Sanfillipo at Balancedbites.com has specific grocery lists for TJ's and Costco if you join her mailing list for free!