At work

Options
Malgorzata79
Malgorzata79 Posts: 87 Member
One of my biggest problems I am struggling with is the snacking at work. There is a lady at my work that bakes EVERY SINGLE DAY. There are homemade cookies, banana nut bread, brownies.......EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.......and I sit couple cubicles away from her, so I am seeing it and smelling it EVERY. SINGLE. DAY...........

This is extremely hard and tempting. And I am the kind of person, that can not have just one cookie, I have to have 5 cookies to satisfy me. Any advise you can give me on how to over come this? I am ok in the morning, but by the afternoon I am ready to eat the rest of the batch!

Replies

• pinkyslippers
    pinkyslippers Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a germ-phobic, so luckily this isn't an issue for me, but I have heard others who brush their teeth to avoid temptation - do you think this might work for you? Or a big cup of low-cal hot chocolate.

Sorry, these aren't very good ideas but I didn't want to read and run :flowerforyou:
  • elliexxgeorge
    Options
    I think it's only going to be your strong mind and will to lose weight :-(

How about putting up a skinny photo of yourself in front of you so when you feel tempted all you have to do is to look at the photo and remember how wonderful it feels to be healthy??

I'm a kitchen assistant and we serve a lot of chips, scampi's, burgers, apple pies, chocolate cakes all the time. Sometimes I work 12 hour shift and some co workers are not very helpful. Laughing at me losing weight and offering me chips and chocolate cakes.

I just want to show them that I will lose weight and I'll be the one laughing very soon, little buggers! LOL

So that's my motivation :-)

Good luck x
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Haha, i have the same issue-i'm in an office of people who LOVE biscuits, meaning that the biscuit tin is always full; biscuits are my biggest weakness too, so it does get difficult.

Seeing as i know that is probably going to happen, i work it into my daily calorie allowance. And i remind myself that they will always be there tomorrow. If it is homemade cake or something like that, i'll take one but eat half, leave the other half for the next day or take it home for dessert, (because i HAVE to eat dessert; after being good all day, it's like a little reward).

Good luck :)
  • romans127
    romans127 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been packing "healthy snacks" so when Betty Sue walks in with cookies I just have one of my snacks. I also told all the guys in the kitchen at work I am watching my weight and they are understanding, "less try this" or "I made an extra cookie for you"
    ...Open & Honest... with my coworkers means lots of support, and you might be suprised to find some "health snack" buddies.
    I bring different fruits and vegis...jello cups for something sweet 10 cals and under...popcorn! yummm a full bag of popcorn is a great snack and can be under 70 cals...try a new gormet one I have been enjoying "Garlic & Sea Salt" so yummy
  • Llyrian
    Llyrian Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thankfully my office is big enough that when someone brings in snacks like this, they are usually left in an area that aren't near me. Or they'll be brought around and offered but I'll just say, "No thanks". Sweets aren't my weakness though, as much as savouries are. My problem is when people are eating lunch at their desks and it smells really good, like fast foods. I have started leaving at lunch time just slightly early before those smells waft over.

In the case of peer pressure, let them know you're not able to eat those things now and have healthy snacks on hand. Depending on how comfortable you are with your coworkers, maybe let them know that it's really difficult to stay on track with it always around so maybe they could do their hand-outs and then put the container away so it's not a reminder? Worth a try.
  • fleawill
    fleawill Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Here are two things I've found helpful:
    1. Have a ready-to-eat healthy snack immediately available when temptation starts
    2. Take a quick walk to get away from the temptation