New Rules and Half Marathon training

Options
Has anyone had luck doing this program while training for a half marathon? I have done 2 HM in the past year, and I am contemplating on training for my 3rd, which is in November. I am on Stage 2 of the program and loving it. I will do one of these 2 things:
1. Cut down NROLFW from 3 days a week to 2 and train for the half, or...
2. Keep the NROLFW at 3 days a week and just do the 5k (same race)

The main reason I want to do the half (aside from the fact that I love running) is that this race is the first half I did last November. I really want to beat my time of 2:02:30.

So, I wonder if this will be too much, or if I should do the 5k and keep with the program. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Melissa

Replies

• makinitcount44
    makinitcount44 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I haven't done both but I think you could manage training 2x a week along with half training. I've heard from numerous people that lifting has actually improved their paces.
  • freckles369
    Options
    I haven't done both either but I second the idea that 2x a week lifting & HM training would be ok. That is what I am planning to do when I restart the new rules in September and I have a HM in November too. I am really keen to do new rules but not sacrifice my running to do it as the book says with no extra cardio. I love running and would miss it if I stopped. You can always adjust things once you start. Good luck :) I believe some of the more recent new rules books are more flexible.
  • hskriver
    hskriver Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm currently training for a marathon and doing new rules. I was able to manage lifting 3x a week during stage 1 without feeling a negative impact on my training. However, I just started Stage 2 and am cutting back to lifting 2x a week since the workouts take longer and my running is increasing in intensity. This seems to be working for me.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    WOW that's a fast time to beat, MK!! :flowerforyou:

I would also recommend weight training 2 days.
  • griffx12
    griffx12 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm on stage 7 - lifting 3x a week and I run 30 miles a week! You can totally do both!! The lifting has made me faster.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I came here this morning looking for answers to the same question. except... I've never done a HM before. I'm currently I'm starting week 3 of stage 1 and the HM isn't until May. Would it even be wise to do both at the same time?
  • gatx
    gatx Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread... but I had the same question. I just started Stage 2 and am a fairly new runner but have done lots of cardio programs (Jillian's BR, Chalene Extreme, TurboFire, T25...).

I am thinking of doing a 1/2 marathon in October.

My goal would be to finish the marathon. But at the same time I'd like to continue building strength with NROLW.

I think I will try to stick with three days lifting and three running with a rest day after the long run but I am guessing I will probably drop to two days in Stage 3 when the intervals ramp up? (From what I've surmised from others).

Just thought I'd tag on to this thread to see if the original posters are still around for some insight or if others have any input.
    Thanks!
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My thought is once you are significantly increasing your mileage,your body will not have adequate time to rest before lifting. In May I did a sprint triathlon, I put my new rules of lifting supercharged program on hold for 6 weeks before the race to focus my training solely on the race. It was the best decision I made. It took about 2 weeks for me to get back to the weights I was lifting before the hiatus. This is just my personal opinion though:)
  • gatx
    Options
    My thought is once you are significantly increasing your mileage,your body will not have adequate time to rest before lifting. In May I did a sprint triathlon, I put my new rules of lifting supercharged program on hold for 6 weeks before the race to focus my training solely on the race. It was the best decision I made. It took about 2 weeks for me to get back to the weights I was lifting before the hiatus. This is just my personal opinion though:)

Thanks, that's what I imagine will happen. I am loving the strength gains I have so far with the program and want to make sure I don't lose the progress.

Congrats on your triathlon!
  • jtm4210
    jtm4210 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm really pleased to have found this group, and this thread! I've only just bought the book and I intend to start with the program next week. In the meantime I am training for my first HM in September, and I have another one in November. I've done a 10k already this year and can comfortably run up to 10 miles now. I was planning to alternate lifting and running days (ie 3 days a week each) with a total rest day at the end of the week. Hope that will work!

Good luck to everyone else doing a HM this year!
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    awesome to see lifters & runners! I'm actually running my first HM this weekend & was doing the NROL4W program earlier in the year. I got to the end of Stage 3 and loved it! But even with cutting down to 2x/week, I found that my legs just couldn't recover well enough to run on the off days. I think Stage 1 is ok but as the weights got heavier & sessions longer (I got so pumped up at the gym, I wanted to go all out lol...& don't underestimate the body matrix!!), it was a bit tough so I put it on hold. In retrospect, I should have started my race training earlier to compensate for down time & such.... but that's just me. Maybe others will have better luck balancing both:) I'm looking forward to getting back into the program once the race is over & it gets too hot to run outside. :happy:
  • gatx
    Options
    jtm4210, wow, two HMs... nice! I am not at a 10k yet... but am going to start ramping up my running... just as the temps ramp up... what am i thinking? :)

yogibella, good luck this weekend!! exciting! I agree with wanting to go all out. I need to make sure I am on board with my goal of easing of weight lifting in favor of the HM.
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    @gatx - thanks very much!! and good luck on your training as well! I'm sure your body will tell you what is best:)

and yes @jtm4210, best of luck too, & to all doing HM and other races this year!