For the love of butter coffee and bacon!

Options
rainunrefined
rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
:) I'm surrounding myself with paleo lovers. It's nice to have a group of friends with the same views as you. I drink butter coffee and eat bacon every day. I fry my eggs in bacon grease, bake with almond flour, and have an OBSESSION with all things coconut. If this is you, we should be friends. :) Oh, I'm a career women, student, married, and a mom - so if we have "busy" in common, add me too!

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Well, I like butter/coconut oil coffee and fry my eggs in bacon grease.... not so much into using almond flour though. lol

I'm a single mom, the breadwinner, the cook, the housekeeper, the doctor, the chemical engineer, the dog handler... you name it.
  • EverythingNicki
    Options
    I love all these things too! I have never tried butter in the coffee but do use full fat coconut cream and love it! I am a Mom, small business owner and single employee of a natural soap and beauty company, the cook, domestic engineer, wife, and keeper of pets...so basically SuperWoman like the rest of you! With our powers combined we could rule the world!!!!!
  • Thorbjornn
    Thorbjornn Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have never tried butter in the coffee

Search "bulletproof coffee". It's really good. :smile:
  • rainunrefined
    Options

What he said, I swear I'm obsessed.
  • jtotheno
    jtotheno Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    If you can't find grass fed butter, what do you use? I have not been able to find it! :(
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    If you can't find grass fed butter, what do you use? I have not been able to find it! :(

I found Kerrygold at Costco of all places! :drinker:
    I've used regular butter before I was able to find Kerrygold
  • jenny373
    jenny373 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes! Bulletproof coffee! I found KerryGold at Trader Joe's too. Some regular grocery stores keep it by the fancy cheeses. I don't know why but I found it there at A & P. Ask for it if you can't find it.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Yes! Bulletproof coffee! I found KerryGold at Trader Joe's too. Some regular grocery stores keep it by the fancy cheeses. I don't know why but I found it there at A & P. Ask for it if you can't find it.

My husband was yakkin' it up the other day with a few of his union brothers, one of 'em said he gets his bulletproof coffee at Starbuck's. We're in NY on Long Island so that may make a difference, then again, Starbuck's *is* a franchise =)

Yep, I found it at TJ's too, but A&P?????? Wow! That's some progressive *kitten* right there :laugh:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

I found Kerrygold at Costco of all places! :drinker:
    I've used regular butter before I was able to find Kerrygold

I first found it at Trader Joe's, but at least one of my local Kroger's is carrying it now, too (they're hit or miss on the specialty stuff, though, but with at least some carrying it, you should be able to bug your local store about carrying it).
  • reisingmel
    reisingmel Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Can I join the crew? I love bacon, anything coconut, avocados, and juicy steaks :D I gave bulletproof coffee a shot, but I'm thinking blending is a must because all I'm able to do is stir and it didn't work so great for me :-/ Should've seen the looks I got at the office for doing it though! I'm also a full time engineer, new mom, animal caretaker, breadwinner, and bringer of the bacon. You ladies are truly an inspiration to have such busy lives and still make paleo/primal work for you with such great results!
  • rainunrefined
    Options
    I found grass fed butter at out local health food store. Starbucks has kerrygold if you're ever out and about and need a coffee fix. And yes, I have to blend my bulletproof coffee! If I'm on the go and don't have a blender.. I found THIS little gadget:

http://www.amazon.com/IKEA-Produkt-Milk-Frother/dp/B002Y6FBU2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403271131&sr=8-1&keywords=milk+frother

It's not as great as blending, but it does a better job than stirring!

Thanks for all the adds guys! I'm in love with this community!
  • EverythingNicki
    Options

I googled and watched the video of the creator....so it takes his special beans right? it's not just adding butter to a normal cup of coffee....do you know if this is similar to something here in the PNW called Choffy which is 100% premium cacao beans that is full of antioxidants & has long lasting stimulant called Theobromine. This healthy stimulant provides you with a energy lift by dilating the cardiovascular system, making the heart’s job easier and delivers energy without a crash or the other negative effects of caffeine.....hmmm Choffy and Kerrygold! Maybe worth a shot....Thanks for the info I will try this for sure! Happy Friday.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

I googled and watched the video of the creator....so it takes his special beans right? it's not just adding butter to a normal cup of coffee....do you know if this is similar to something here in the PNW called Choffy which is 100% premium cacao beans that is full of antioxidants & has long lasting stimulant called Theobromine. This healthy stimulant provides you with a energy lift by dilating the cardiovascular system, making the heart’s job easier and delivers energy without a crash or the other negative effects of caffeine.....hmmm Choffy and Kerrygold! Maybe worth a shot....Thanks for the info I will try this for sure! Happy Friday.

I call my coffee "bulletproof" and it's just whatever coffee I love (free trade, organic) with butter and coconut oil. I suppose I'm infringing on copyright but since I'm not selling anything..... So it might not totally be as intended by the original creator, but works for me.
  • Thorbjornn
    Options
    Yeah, I don't know why it's made into such as science project. I just use my regular supermarket brands of coffee and butter. It originated as Tibetan butter tea. Tibetans take yak butter and emulsify it into tea, drinking it by the bowlfuls. It keeps them going in their harsh climate. Btw, it's the first thing offered to a guest in a Tibetan yurt (tent home). Even if you do not want to down the whole bowl, you must take at least a sip or it's considered an insult to the host. Mmm... yak kebabs and butter tea! :happy:
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Yeah, I don't know why it's made into such as science project. I just use my regular supermarket brands of coffee and butter. It originated as Tibetan butter tea. Tibetans take yak butter and emulsify it into tea, drinking it by the bowlfuls. It keeps them going in their harsh climate. Btw, it's the first thing offered to a guest in a Tibetan yurt (tent home). Even if you do not want to down the whole bowl, you must take at least a sip or it's considered an insult to the host. Mmm... yak kebabs and butter tea! :happy:

Themoreyouknow.jpg

(But seriously, that's actually pretty cool. I didn't know butter tea was a thing prior to the bulletproof coffee thing. Of course, putting dairy of any sort in tea is pretty unheard of in these parts.)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

I love yurts. I always say I'm going to retire to a cabin in the wilderness but it might be a yurt instead. Easier to construct.

I haven't tried tea with fat in it yet. Even though I put the kitchen sink in my coffees, I have always drank tea without additives. I know there a few people around here who don't drink coffee but Bulletproofed their tea and liked it once they got used to it. (I hated BP coffee at first - true story!)

I live with cold weather adapted people too and it was all about the fat. I eat a piece of whale fat and suddenly I feel like I'm in a sauna. You don't get fat on healthy fat, thermogenesis kicks into high gear! Not just genetics - it's the FOOD.
  • Thorbjornn
    Options

I love yurts. I always say I'm going to retire to a cabin in the wilderness but it might be a yurt instead. Easier to construct.

I haven't tried tea with fat in it yet. Even though I put the kitchen sink in my coffees, I have always drank tea without additives. I know there a few people around here who don't drink coffee but Bulletproofed their tea and liked it once they got used to it. (I hated BP coffee at first - true story!)

I live with cold weather adapted people too and it was all about the fat. I eat a piece of whale fat and suddenly I feel like I'm in a sauna. You don't get fat on healthy fat, thermogenesis kicks into high gear! Not just genetics - it's the FOOD.

Yes, everything I've read over the years shows you don't get fat on fat, as long as it's healthy fats. And if we're eating whole, real foods, the fats can't help be anything but healthy. For some odd reason, whale blubber (muktaaq?) sounds really good.

I too want to get away to someplace remote and live a rustic and physical lifestyle. It's just a dream now for a few reasons. I haven't had butter tea either, but I may try it. Let's face it, it's not the worse thing I've ever tried to make. :laugh: I think my tuna strawberry shake was rock bottom. :noway: :sick:
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    I too want to get away to someplace remote and live a rustic and physical lifestyle. It's just a dream now for a few reasons. I haven't had butter tea either, but I may try it. Let's face it, it's not the worse thing I've ever tried to make. :laugh: I think my tuna strawberry shake was rock bottom. :noway: :sick:

Tuna....strawberry...shake....

WTF possessed you to try that combination?! Please tell me your wife was pregnant and you were getting sympathy cravings or something, because that doesn't even sound appealing. :noway:
  • Thorbjornn
    Options

WTF possessed you to try that combination?! Please tell me your wife was pregnant and you were getting sympathy cravings or something, because that doesn't even sound appealing. :noway:

I'm sure I don't know what possessed me. :laugh: Needless to say it was DISGUSTING! It went down the drain.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

I'm sure I don't know what possessed me. :laugh: Needless to say it was DISGUSTING! It went down the drain.

OMG, I just burst out howling... disturbing my co-workers... (yeah, I'm at work, slow day today). That is just wrong. I know some people are all about the protein and how to get it higher, but that just crosses the line. A LOT. :laugh: