General Chit-Chat --part 4

Options

Replies

• CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have belonged to a gym for several years and have skipped going more than I have gone. I am in my “get healthy” phase right now and have been going regularly. Friday, I went several hours later than I normally do. While riding the elliptical, this very frail lady, probably in her 60s or 70‘s, rode up behind the elliptical next to me on a motorized three wheeled scooter. With great difficulty, she moved her legs off the scooter with both hands, grabbed onto the elliptical and scooter and lifted herself from then seat. At this time, a gym employee came up to her and asked if he could be any assistance, whereupon she replied “No thanks, I can do it myself.” She shuffled over to the side of the elliptical and then over to the seat where she sat down. She lifted one leg to place her foot on the foot pad with her hands, then the other foot. She grabbed ahold of the arm bars and started pushing with her legs and pulling with her arms and got that thing going about 40 revolutions per minute. She exercised for about ten minutes before she stopped and, tediously, reversed her movements to sit back on her scooter. I wanted to stand and applaud her but I felt that this would probably embarrass her.

My feeble excuses for not wanting to work out now seem very pathetic to me.

Chuck
  • hollyla9905
    hollyla9905 Posts: 508
    Options
    It's amazing how someone else's determination can work in our favour! I hope you carry that image with you for a long time!

So my mom finally got her move out date - June 28th. I am looking forward to it a lot! She will be away dog sitting the week before so I am going to start loading her stuff into my loving room so on moving day things don't have to come all the way upstairs! I also need to get a sheet of ply wood and a new mattress in the next few weeks so We can finally put together our youngest a bed, she sleeps on a crib mattress on the floor right now! Unfortunately my heart really isn't into this.

Well hope everyone has a good day and I'm going to try to get my head into my work!
  • Etherlily1
    Etherlily1 Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    @Holly - One step closer right? Everything will work out for her to move out on time. Good planning on moving her stuff into the living room for ready access.

@Chuck - There is also a video of a guy on Facebook of an old man coming into the gym toting his oxygen tank behind him.
  • hollyla9905
    Options
    I decided to brave my lawn mower yesterday! It was great I burned a lot of calories and burned my arms shoulders neck and face! Oops! Than I went to my cousins and helped her pack and move boxes cause her shoulder is broken and she is moving in 3 days!

So I got the job I applied for and than I turned it down, it turns out it wasn't right for me and I don't want to do something I will hate! This is the second time life interfered with me moving to this department, I think I should avoid it from now on!

It is time I believe for me to get my *kitten* back to school and stop messing around with excuses! I just have to decide what I want to be when I grow up!
  • Etherlily1
    Options
    @Holly - I am kinda the same with school. I know what I want to do, but not where to focus. I want to be a biologist. It will be awhile yet before I can convince Voc Rehab to help me pay for it, but I'm going to kill it when I finally get back to it. One thing I've been doing is checking MSU's catalog for requirements and making out a class schedule to get me through until graduation. Looking at the class descriptions, and then daydreaming about the material or going to the library and researching those topics. I don't believe in waiting for a class in order to keep learning. You will figure out what you want in time. You already have some idea as you are making choices for your career right now to keep you in a place where you can enjoy what you are doing.
  • Batman_75
    Batman_75 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Evening folks,

First Introductions- My name is Andrew and I am a 33 year father of three young boys. I live in Maine and am an old fitness pal veteran. I've recently returned to fitness pal and am looking for a group of folks to share this chapter of my journey and help provide some support and accountablity. At 5'11" I currently weigh in at 305 pounds with a goal weight of 185 pounds. I've done this before as I was able to lose 127 pounds in 2010. The harsh reality is that I failed to maintain that so here I am, picking myself up off the ground to give it another shot. After all, the only true failure is to give up. I look forward to getting to know you all and hope that my previous experiences, good and bad will be useful, Thanks so much for having me. :smile:
  • hollyla9905
    Options
    A biologist is a great goal to strive for especially if you enjoy research! Science is a very rewarding field I think, lots of challenges!

Batman75/Andrew, it's nice to meet you and I hope you find inspiration amongst us! It's always nice to meet someone new! If you didn't find it yet there is a let me introduce myself post that talks a bit about some of us :) I look forward to hearing your wisdom and seeing your success :)

So my daughter had her appointment yesterday with the psychiatrist, she actually didn't say she hated me at the end! For now they are going to let her go on with growing up, and they don't believe they can be helpful at the moment, but the doctor is going to keep her file open for a year and we can go anytime we want to.

I told my husband this weekend that he needed to get a new job or a new wife that I no longer wanted to be a single mom with a married woman's problems and none of the perks! So he is going to look for a new job and I am going to look for some part time courses to take on top of work! I am also going to look for a part time job for the summer, just to pay off some debt quickly!

And I gotta get my butt working oops
  • Etherlily1
    Options
    @Holly - I am glad you have found a psychiatrist that is willing to help when/if they can. Hopefully, she'll come out of this, and it will just be a phase. I will keep you and your family in my prayers, if you don't mind.

@Batman75 - Welcome to the group! You absolutely can do this!
  • hollyla9905
    Options
    This guy is super, we dealt with him before, he has no time for bull**** and you can tell from the questions he asks that he listens to the answers both the parent and child give him, and he has terrible reviews online, which I find just means he is honest!

So a few weeks ago my scale was nuts and was up and down and I changed the batteries and it seemed okay, today it told me I gained 10 lbs in 2 days!! Since that is not very realistic, since I was actually well behaved I am not going to buy into that and I threw the scale out and will buy one at the end of the month... So I am back to skipping weigh in this week, but I am certain it was a little change as I am still just trying to hold on for another 11 days till everyone is gone from my house! And my treadmill is finally coming this weekend, yay :)
  • p1xyn1xy
    p1xyn1xy Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Hi Andrew and welcome back!
    Etherlily, that seems like a great goal. I admire you. I could never get past the memorization in Biology to get to the fun. Sounds like it's something that interest you though!!!
    Holly, sounds like you've finally made some decisions and some actions. I hope this helps settle things. Fingers crossed on the treadmill! :wink:

I've got a bit of the case of blahs this week. I don't really feel like exercising... so its been kinda stop and go. My eating has been ok, so I don't think this will hurt me till I shake it. Hopefully by Saturday. I signed me and the family up for the 5K Colour Run. :yawn:

Keep on plugging everyone!
  • Etherlily1
    Options
    This is completely non-scale and non-weight loss related. My phone is on life support. It only permits itself to be turned on and off. That's it. Monday/Tuesday I will receive my new phone, for free, with a non-contract company. It will be refurbished, but 'eh, don't care. I am very amused at my friends and family as well. For a week everyone has known I cannot send or receive text messages, can receive calls, but cannot check voice mail or make calls. I have 7 voice mail messages, and 19 text messages. :laugh: At least I know I'm not the craziest one in the bunch!
  • hollyla9905
    Options
    Oh my, well you have soemthing to look forward to when you can hear your messages!

Well today is my moms official last day in the house, and next Saturday is my nieces last day!
    I have big plans for my house and I am hoping to start this weekend!!! I can't afford to fix all the issues with the house but at least my kids may get closer to their own bedrooms this week! And I can't wait to go shopping and skip the rice and pasta aisles and go straight to the produce dairy and meat! Yay :)
  • leannabseven
    leannabseven Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hey all! Just popping in to say hi and see what's up with everyone.

Holly I am so glad you are about to get your house to yourself. I've been there and it's not easy to share your house, no matter how much you like them. And it sounds like your family has a plan to make things better as well.

Andrew, it's nice to meet you. I've been active here since October, and I've lost (altogether) about 60 of the 70 pounds I regained. I always get close to getting back in the 100s and seem to derail myself. But I'm aware of that this time and more determined than ever to get this weight problem resolved.
  • Crystallee145
    Crystallee145 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    It's been a while since I've said HI. I still have my ups and downs with eating clean good foods. I really like fresh vegetables and fruit, and so I don't know why I don't chose them over the crap. The crap I log 50/50, when I don't log it I feel that if it's not on MFP it's not going to affect my weight loss. And that is probably the stupidest thing I could be writing, and sadly it's true. This is a mindset I need to get over. I'm holding myself back from being the mom/wife/friend I want to be. I don't know how many times I've said, "starting today I will eat clean and exercise" and I don't know how many times I will continue to say that. But here goes.....

Starting today I will eat clean and exercise!

:happy:
  • m23prime
    m23prime Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    The crap I log 50/50, when I don't log it I feel that if it's not on MFP it's not going to affect my weight loss. And that is probably the stupidest thing I could be writing, and sadly it's true. This is a mindset I need to get over.

Starting today I will eat clean and exercise!

:happy:

You MUST log the crap. At this stage it is more important to log the crap than the good food. Especially if you are struggling with choices.

Close your diary. Make it private if you are concerned about being judged or ridiculed for any indiscretions. But you must be HONEST with yourself. (Just use the quick calories tool if you are too embarrassed about the whole cherry pound cake and vodka binge. :huh: )

You need to accumulate accurate data so you can SEE the graphing trends.

And as for how many more times you are going to say "starting today I will eat clean and exercise", well, the answer there is simple. You are going to say it to yourself EVERYDAY and then you are going to eat sensibly and take a walk.

Forever Change takes Every Day Re-commitment.

You CAN do this.
  • leannabseven
    Options
    Good to see you again, Crystal. And Mark gave you some really good advice. It bothers me when I see people posting that they are taking a day off from logging because they knew they were eating poorly. Log the crap! Eat it...own it! And it really has helped me to be more aware of my choices.
  • Crystallee145
    Crystallee145 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Mark/Leanna, thanks for the advice. It is so true. tonight I made tacos. logged every bit of it. I'm definitely struggling with eating too much at times and tonight was no exception. I had 3 tacos instead of the 2 I had planned. Now I feel like crap because I ate too much. This is the cycle that I'm breaking. It's not that the tacos are bad, all of the ingredient's are low carb, low sodium, lite, and FF. just the 2 would have been perfect.

I did think about locking my diary, but I think that would do the opposite. I would log less because no one would see it. And really, I enjoy and learn from feedback, so I'm going to keep it open for now.
  • leannabseven
    Options
    Crystal, I LOVE taco salads, so I figured out a way to eat them that is still using all my favorite ingredients, but less calories. If you think you'd like to try it, here is my "recipe".

3 oz. of taco meat (93% lean)
    1/2 cup of refried beans (fat free)
    1/3 cup of shredded cheese (low fat if you can get it)
    1/4 to 1/2 avocado
    4 TB salsa (more if you want it)
    all the veggies I can stand...lots of lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and jalapenos.
    10 Tostitos Scoops or 14 Tortilla chips (whatever the serving size is)

And, YES, weigh and measure the first 3 ingredients as they are the most calorie-rich.
    I put the scoops on a plate and use a fork and spoon to put a little beans on each scoop. Then, add the beef and cheese; top with the veggies and salsa.

This is a HUGE taco salad. And it does come in at about 500 calories, but that is not too bad for dinner. And you can always cut back on the amount of meat, beans and chips to make smaller version. But it seriously satisfies, and with all the additional veggies it's better for you and more filling than 2 or 3 tacos.
  • p1xyn1xy
    p1xyn1xy Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Hey Crystal!!! Nice to see you popping in! I have to say I agree with what Mark and Leanna said. I also know it's hard to cut out the crap. I think just work on logging everything. Once you get used to that you can start to tweak it until you get where you want. However remember to make every change you make doable. If you can't maintain that change don't do it. You want 3 tacos... fine. Eat a really filling salad or whatever for lunch or work it off with exercise. I'm a queen at getting fast food in when I WANT it!:noway: LOL! Never get down on yourself. Change takes time and some habits are hard to break. This is about loving yourself enough to get healthy and that is not the way to do it. :happy: I started with small changes in my eating and incrementally increased my exercise. Keep at it... you only fail if you quit trying! :flowerforyou:

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend!
  • hollyla9905
    Options
    Sounds like all the advice I needed, I have also been skipping out on logging, because my scale is broken and I can't buy one till my July 4th pay day I'm like hey it's all good... But it's not I am now fearful of the July 4th weigh in becuase it will be a new scale and no weigh in for almost a month! But I logged all my crap this weekend and I am going to have to purge my house of all the carbs! Grocery shopping was amazing, short of the few things for my husband for work - fresh is hard for him to carry a lot of - and cereal and lunch stuff for the kids we didn't fill our grocery cart until we hit meats dairy and produce, and I'm hoping over the summer to learn some home made lunch stuff for my son so next year he isn't eating out of a can!

LeAnna I love taco salad but yours sounds extra yummy I will have to try this the next time the family wants tacos - skip the beans though - I usually eat one taco than have a salad, but the scoops are a great plan!

Well it is time to get back to work since it's not even break time right now!