Hello

Options
socalkay
socalkay Posts: 746 Member
Hi ladies -
I'm 58 yo and just found MFP a couple days ago. My search for a resource began Friday night after a call from the doctor handling my case at the Heart & Lung Transplant center in San Diego. She told me they decided I'm a good candidate for a lung transplant BUT they won't put me on the donor list until I lose weight. I was crushed! The doctor told me their cut off line is a BMI of 30 and mine is 30.2 - I was angry that they would withhold a life-saving procedure because of 2/10's of a percent. I felt betrayed because they had told me a couple months ago that they would arrange for me to work with a nutritionist and a pulmonary rehab program and none of that has materialized to date.

Once I got past all the negative feelings, I decided I had to do it for myself the best I can. I'm asking for a precious resource, after all. I should be willing to go the extra distance to get myself in shape for the best possible outcome post-surgery as well as my second chance at life that surgery will give me. They want me to lose 20 lbs in the next three months. A tall order for anyone, much less someone stuck at home on oxygen 24/7. However, I feel very excited about the food and exercise diary tools here on MFP and I'm determined to give it my best shot. Tracking my food for a couple days has already opened my eyes to things a I can improve without changing much to start with.

Part of the process of evaluation for lung transplant candidates is an extensive physical work-up, including full cardiac work-up. Since I now know that I know my heart is good, I had a friend pull my stationary bike out of storage yesterday. I can't wait for the rehab exercise program. I've started my own cardio workout, albiet mild.

I'm looking to you for inspiration. Thanks for having me!

Replies

• dstevens19
    dstevens19 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You've come to a good place for motivation, accountability and friendships. You certainly have a lot of obstacles but your self motivation is an asset. You have a big reason to keep going.

Are you able to exercise? I'd start slow and easy at first, then work your way up. Do some cardio but add some light weightlifting as well. Building muscle will encourage your body to burn calories more efficiently.

With regard to diet, try to cut out added sugar, white bread, and other simple carbs. Eat as natural as possible. Fill up on fruits,veggies, and complex carb grains. Eat every 3 hrs or so to keep your blood sugar level and prevent yourself from getting too hungry.

.wishing you all the best.
  • socalkay
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I tried doing some weight-lifting with 2 lb weights yesterday but quickly desaturated. I never realized how much oxygen my muscles require (even just picking up light objects) until I didn't have the O2 to spare. I'll keep trying - your comment about encouraging the body to burn more calories makes me feel more determined. By turning up my oxygen flow, I am successfully riding the stationary bike 15 - 20 minutes at a time.

I haven't been eating bread at all for the last couple months, with the exception of an english muffin once or twice a week. Likewise added sugar. Even so, I haven't lost a pound so I'm hoping the food diary and tracking portions and calories will help. This also helps me stay focused on diet. I tend to ignore food until I'm starving. Not good for my blood sugar, I'm sure.

Accountability. Yes! I live alone and my disease has isolated me. Forcing myself to participate here will hopefully help me live up to my word... in other words, I'm counting on stubborn pride.

Thanks again for your encouragement!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Is that your cat? Beautiful.

This site has been a great support for me. I hope it will be for you, also.

Lisa
  • socalkay
    Options
    No, I just thought it's a cute photo. I do have a cat (and two dogs) who provide a lot of companionship, as I live alone. My cat doesn't have a weight problem. Ruby, the Queensland heeler, should be on this diet with me.