Daily calorie range

Options
How do you calculate your daily caloric count?

I was curious as to whether most in this group use the 1200 per day standby; or, calculate by using the TDEE/BMR method? I am 56 and had a hysterectomy sixteen months ago. I was still having monthly periods like clockwork, until the surgery. I've learned that I have to "play" by new rules now and having trouble figuring out what the new rules are.

Thanks to anyone/all that respond. I sincerely appreciate it.

Replies

• cara4fit
    cara4fit Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Might have to stay at or close to that 1200, unless you're pretty active and or taller/bigger, in which case you could have a couple hundred more per day. Usually for active people there's more leeway than that, but for menopause and post-menopause, it seems that one has to automatically deduct 200 calories a day beyond what would have been fine for a deficit pre-menopause. This is what makes it hard, along with the fact that many women become carb-sensitive to one degree or another. This is also why the advice that younger people give one that it's simply calories in, calories out isn't the whole story, although how much one is eating definitely does come into it. It's also WHAT one is eating! At menopause and after, there's really not much room for junk because one's nutritional needs might increase, but one's caloric needs decrease with each decade. Some women only have to fine-tune carb intake to less-processed ones in general, others really do have to give up starchy carb intake altogether, including perfectly healthy whole-grain foods. Unfortunately one can't know until one tries different things. Everybody's system is different anyway - best of luck!
  • menogain
    menogain Posts: 8
    Options
    I am sort of new here but I was menopausal for 8 years then had a bleed in January with a large belly and fast weight gain. Long story short, I had a hormone producing non-cancerous tumor. I had both ovaries and tubes removed in May so I am surgically officially post menopause. Prior to January I could lose weight fairly easy by cutting out junk and limiting carbs. Not now! I have been trying to stay under 1200 and am closer to 1000 and the weight is coming off but not as fast as it used to. I also am trying to get back into some exercising to help speed things along. I did lose most of the belly (caused by tumor) but the weight remains. So...no sweets and very limited carbs for me.
  • heavenlyb14
    heavenlyb14 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am new here but I stay between 1200 and 1300.
  • CryssieFit
    Options
    Hello All!

@Menogain--

How was the doctor able to determine that you had a hormonal tumor? What type of doctor were you seeing when the correct diagnosis was made?

I ask because I have begun to refer to my weight gain of 1-2 lbs weekly as my "fat cancer" since the weight gain seems to be unrelated to my diet or exercise. My current doctor is useless and has a serious deaf tone when it comes to my symptoms.
  • CryssieFit
    Options
    Has anyone here tried Estroven -- the weight management version?