June Calorie Burn--Name Your Goal Here

Options
123457»

Replies

• schnicklefritz1
    schnicklefritz1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/leptin-the-secret-key-to-getting-shredded

Sue, about half way down the page is a spot about cheat days or refeed days!!! I have been reading out of this website all day and just foudn this. This may be good for all of us to read. LOL
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I went to therapy yesterday and my therapist told me she's lost 16lbs in the last 5 weeks. I was really moved, because she said I was a big part of her inspiration to get back into shape. It's nice to know that I helped someone who has helped me so much over the years.

This is great! I do think getting in shape can be really contagious. I always talk about the negative stuff that got me in gear the first time I did this, but a huge part of it also was that I had a couple of co-workers who lost a bunch and even though we didn't talk about it beforehand seeing that made me think I could. And then me losing motivated a couple of friends of mine.

This time I didn't have that, but I think I'd belived I could since I did it before and I just finally reached a point where I emerged from some other stuff and was ready.

On the weight frustration, I think that's a good plan about seeing if limiting the sodium again affects you. Sometimes it's just a stall for a while and then a big loss, too, however.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Jodi, that's really motivating about the karate. What a great friend to realize that it was right to push you and wonderful that you've found something you love. I bet you would love heavy lifting too (I think I will too!), so I'm glad you are committed to going forward with your plans.

And take it easy and get well!

The PT is going to be great, I think, since she's not just working with me on healing my MCL and stopping the pain/instability, but focusing on a lot of the things that are aggravating it and may have contributed to the injury in the first place, which are basically muscle imbalances that I have and some resulting issues with my hips that end up putting more stress on my knees when walking and especially running. Anyway, I'd been trying to work on some of this stuff before (and figured some of it would go away if I lost weight), but I can tell that the PT and exercises I'm supposed to do will help a lot.

Oh, and my oven is finally fixed! I am roasting tonight to celebrate.
  • suejoker
    suejoker Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday, Warrior Sisters! I was too hot to sleep until 1am, so I let myself sleep in and rearranged my usual Saturday routine. My cousin and I are taking my 87yo auntie out to her favorite Laotian restaurant for her birthday. Then, I'll go do my grocery shopping. I'm thinking about going to this fancy grocery store called Berkeley Bowl, because I'm missing the farmers market and they're supposed to have beautiful, fresh, organic produce every day. Should be an adventure!

Jodi, are you feeling any better today? Did you decide to have a load day? I'm glad you found some good reading about it, because the mental aspect is the hardest, when you decide to eat more for one reason or another. My metabolism reset was terrifying, mentally. Even more scary is that my weight seems to be stuck again, so I may need to return to it for longer!

Stephanie, I'm so glad the PT looks promising. What did you end up roasting? I wish we could have a potluck at your place to celebrate your oven working again. I'd bring some lamb and Brussels sprouts. How about everyone else?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I had leftover calamari I had to cook, so I only roasted Brussels sprouts and potatoes. Still good!

Brussels and lamb would be perfect.
  • culo97
    culo97 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    By the way, Irish boxty sounds good. I'm a big potato fan so I'll definitely try it when I get the chance.

I know that many people swear by the heart rate monitor (HRM) but I don't agree. Why is one estimate is so much better than another? Unless you're in some kind of lab with trained technicians monitoring your body on state of the art scientific equipment, it's only estimates. If an online burn rate calculator says that you used 300 calories but your HRM says you burned 283.7 calories for an hour of walking, why stress out about the difference? I truly hate how every newbie question is answered with "get a HRM". Do that many people own stock in HRM companies?

[rant off]
    Culo, "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You", was probably my favorite song. The first half of the movie really dragged, but then it got better. I think Clint Eastwood didn't get that most people who go to movie musicals go for the MUSIC!
    Isn't it amazing that a man who spent the last 60 years in the entertainment industry has forgotten how to entertain people? But then again, Eastwood's judgement is in question after berating a chair in public. “Big Girls Don't Cry” has been a personal earworm of mine since I was a youngster.

Big girls don't cry-yi-yi (they don't cry)
    Big girls come on cry (who said, they don't cry)
    My girl said goodbye-yi-yi (my, oh, my)
    My girl didn't cry (I wonder why)

http://youtu.be/40bTOCv3_ak
    http://youtu.be/OzpXuRCBgsM
    http://www.songlyrics.com/valli-frankie-four-seasons/big-girls-don-t-cry-lyrics/
    I wouldn't say that eating more is letting me lose more...or faster. Rather, it is allowing me to continue losing at a steady rate that still averages out to a pound a week (sometimes it is higher...2 or 3 pounds...sometimes I maintain. Haven't gained yet). In the end, it is a steady downward path that if I work it out mathematically over a time period works out to approx. 1 pound a week.
    Sounds complicated. Hope it works out how you plan.
    I have a lot of stress in my life (thank goodness not so much at work) and I love my punching bag and karate for it. Oh my gosh it does wonders for me!!!! I am not sure what I would do with out those two things actually. The punching bag is just great, you are getting to strike something, great upper body work out and you can tape a picture to the bag if you wanted too. LOL
    Here's an idea for a monthly goal. 100 bag punches per week. I bet you could reach it.
    Oh, and my oven is finally fixed! I am roasting tonight to celebrate.
    Brussels sprouts and potatoes are a good start. What are we having for dinner tonight?
  • dianastepheny
    dianastepheny Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Well, I had upped my calories another 50 per day this week, just to see what would happen. I didn't change my exercise...kept it at 3 Zumba classes and 1 bowling league per week). Seems to still be working for me. I lost another pound. So far, I have either lost weight each week or maintained. I haven't gained yet. I suppose that will happen eventually as I keep testing the upper boundaries of my weight loss limits. I just know I don't want to bottom out my calories and have nowhere to go once I get lighter and weight loss gets more difficult. So, 1650 it will stay for now. I am finally getting close to Onederland. I cannot wait. So excited! It has been many, many, many years since I was below 200. Right now, I have lost 29 pounds and weigh 201. It has been almost four months since I started this journey, and I am so happy I found MFP, this group, and all my MFP friends. You make this so much easier and enjoyable.
  • culo97
    Options
    Well, I had upped my calories another 50 per day this week, just to see what would happen. I didn't change my exercise...kept it at 3 Zumba classes and 1 bowling league per week). Seems to still be working for me. I lost another pound. So far, I have either lost weight each week or maintained. I haven't gained yet. I suppose that will happen eventually as I keep testing the upper boundaries of my weight loss limits.
    Good for you! Another pound bites the dust.

My 2 week experiment with upping my calories from 1600 to 2000 ended with me gaining 1 pound the first week and staying the same weight the second week. This could mean 2000 is my maintenance calorie level. At 1600, I was fluctuating 3-5 pounds gained or lost per week. I guess the next thing to try is not having any limits, to see what that does. I just started a new medicine cycle, so any weight changes next few weeks could be the result of that. Especially since I can't exercise as much.

I'm happy to have reached and gone over my June goal.

Week 1: 9
    Week 2: 20.6
    Week 3: 5.5
    Week 4: 12
    Total: 47.1 miles out of 40

Riding my bike to work a few times a week only gives me about 5 miles. So I knew I had to stretch a little to average 10 miles a week. I know 10 miles is barely warming up for serious cyclists but it's my challenge.

I have to get creative for a July goal since my doctor advised me not to do a lot of exercise on my legs while they figure out the best treatment.

Who else hit their June goal?
  • suejoker
    Options
    Hey, Warrior Sisters!

I had such an amazing day, yesterday! Not only did I get to go to 2 new (to me) restaurants: Champa Garden (incredible Laotian food) and Lois the Pie Queen (where I met my new love, lemon ice box pie), but then went dancing in public in a crowded San Francisco club for the first time in YEARS! My cousin's salsa band was opening for one of the best salsa bands on the planet. It was their biggest gig yet and my cousin has always supported my performance career, so I went. I was kind of tentative & self-conscious, at the beginning, but quickly realized that I was not the biggest girl out there, no one was watching me, and dancing with 100's of happy people is a ball!

In addition to family fun & food, I went to the Berkeley Bowl, for the first time. It's legendary, amongst foodies. Chefs like to shop there, because they don't have to wait for farmers markets to get a huge selection of the best, organic produce. What held me back was that it's a bit out of my way and I figured probably a bit out of my budget, too. Since we're doing well this week and I missed the farmers market for the party, I thought it would be a nice treat. I believe I have now been converted. Berkeley Bowl is kind of like what would happen if Trader Joe's & Whole Foods had a genetically enhanced baby. First of all, it's huge, spacious, and beautiful with great lighting, like Whole Foods. There's even a section where you can sit and eat gourmet goodies. The prices rival Trader Joe's (some of the items were more, but many were less expensive than TJ's--at checkout I spent exactly what I would've spent there). The staff were very friendly & helpful, just like at Trader Joe's. The thing that makes it better than both of those stores is the produce section. It's about the size of a regular grocery store, first of all, so you could spend hours in just that section and it's laid out like artwork.

This morning, I seemed to get rewarded for all of my adventurousness and patience, with a pound lost on the scale. I had been stuck again and was about to lower my calories, but the scale moved in time! Since I lost weight at 1850 calories/day, why mess with it? I also got my period again, so it may have been a water weight loss. I don't know if my period is back to stay or back for a visit. I'm so confused, because I started having hot flashes and exercising too much, about the same time!

I hit my exercise goal (burned 3500 calories) every week in June. I'm still figuring out my July goal. Does anyone else know what theirs will be?

Stephanie, I would've been fine with just Brussels sprouts & potatoes! Although, I'm sure the calamari was delicious. I really miss having vegetarian meals. Since I increased my protein to 30%, I feel like I rarely have vegetarian meals anymore.

Culo, congrats on exceeding your June goal! I ordered a HRM, primarily because I'm pretty competitive. Now that I'm participating in gym classes, I'm concerned that I'll exceed my target heart rate zone and go straight past my max, trying to be the "best" in the class.

Diana, that's so great! I'm so glad that Onederland is right around the corner! You will love it over here--the weather's great;) I know that just getting here will be reward enough, but have you considered giving yourself a Welcome to Onederland present? I've found it very reinforcing to give myself nice presents for each significant milestone and WOW this one is big!
  • culo97
    Options
    Hey, Warrior Sisters!

I had such an amazing day, yesterday! Not only did I get to go to 2 new (to me) restaurants: Champa Garden (incredible Laotian food) and Lois the Pie Queen (where I met my new love, lemon ice box pie), but then went dancing in public in a crowded San Francisco club for the first time in YEARS! My cousin's salsa band was opening for one of the best salsa bands on the planet. It was their biggest gig yet and my cousin has always supported my performance career, so I went. I was kind of tentative & self-conscious, at the beginning, but quickly realized that I was not the biggest girl out there, no one was watching me, and dancing with 100's of happy people is a ball!

In addition to family fun & food, I went to the Berkeley Bowl, for the first time. It's legendary, amongst foodies. Chefs like to shop there, because they don't have to wait for farmers markets to get a huge selection of the best, organic produce.

This morning, I seemed to get rewarded for all of my adventurousness and patience, with a pound lost on the scale. I had been stuck again and was about to lower my calories, but the scale moved in time! Since I lost weight at 1850 calories/day, why mess with it? I also got my period again, so it may have been a water weight loss. I don't know if my period is back to stay or back for a visit. I'm so confused, because I started having hot flashes and exercising too much, about the same time!

I hit my exercise goal (burned 3500 calories) every week in June. I'm still figuring out my July goal. Does anyone else know what theirs will be?

Culo, congrats on exceeding your June goal! I ordered a HRM, primarily because I'm pretty competitive. Now that I'm participating in gym classes, I'm concerned that I'll exceed my target heart rate zone and go straight past my max, trying to be the "best" in the class.
    Lois the Pie Queen is now on my list of restaurants to try. Unfortunately the hours are short so I probably won't be able to swing by until a weekend.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/lois-the-pie-queen-oakland

Salsa, like disco or the blues, is one of those dances where the music just takes you over. You can forget to be self conscious and just enjoy yourself. Sounds like your Saturday was a blast all around, Sue.

I've also made a pilgrimage to Berkeley Bowl. Your description was spot on. They have a zillion brands and probably multiple choices of everything you could think of. I bet their buyer has one of the best jobs on the planet.

Congrats on hitting your June calorie burn goal. I'm glad you found your calorie sweet spot. Whenever you tried a new tweak, how long did you try it (1 week, 2 weeks, a couple days) before you felt like you could tell what the change was?
  • suejoker
    Options
    Culo, I'm glad you're adding Lois the Pie Queen to your list. It's definitely worth the trip! I may actually relocate up to that neighborhood, since I fell in love with Berkeley Bowl and my cousin lives up there.

I don't know if I've found my "sweet spot" at all, but I'm happy to be back down to 177. I actually cut my metabolism reset short,(they recommend 6-12 weeks) because gaining weight was freaking me out. Here's my timeline, if it helps.

5/26: increased calories from 1220 to 1420/day--lost 1lb after 4 days
    6/1: began to net calories @ or above BMR
    6/8: increased calorie goal to Fitbit TDEE (2181/day)--vacillated between 175-179
    6/19: decreased calorie goal to TDEE-15% (1850/day)--lost 2lbs from top reset weight, after 10 days

I just added a new thread for July and declared my fitness goal for the month!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    My calorie burn from the exercise I'm tracking was all over the place. Way over weeks 1 and 4, way under weeks 2 and 3, and so far way over on the bonus days. If I consider the goal an average of 500/day and do everything planned for tomorrow, I'll make it (barely) for the month, so I'll motivate myself for tomorrow that way. For me the calorie way of measuring makes it too complicated, so I think I'll do something based on days/week for particular activities in July.

Sue, I similarly used to eat vegetarian pretty often (and all Lent) and haven't been at all because of the protein thing plus not loving some of the high protein vegetarian options. I could have beans more, I suppose. At the moment I like my diet, but this is something I've thought about.

Speaking of, the first meat to get roasted (served with sweet potatoes and asparagus) was goat, which I'd never made before but which the farm I buy meat from sells. It turned out well. Roasting beef tonight.

Off to do my physical therapy exercises and check out the 100 push-ups app. Push ups are one of those things I'd like to work on now that I can finally do a few real ones.
  • schnicklefritz1
    schnicklefritz1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I kind of had a calorie accident this weekend, but today is a day one of a new week and I am starting anew. . . Again . . . thank goodness weeks are not like some things in life and that every Monday we get a "do over". How sweet is that. God is very forgiving that way for sure.

A friend stopped by this morning and knocked on my door at 4:45AM...While I should have been mad and angry...(i was a little) I went and got dressed and strapped on my HRM and my fitbit and away we went....9,800 steps and almost 5 miles later, we made it back to the house. WOW...all of that before 6:30 AM. I loved it. She is stopping by tomorrow when she gets off work at 6:10 and we are going for a run/walk. My goal is to walk 4 min and then run 1 min. For 30 minutes that is my goal. We don't have as long because she gets off at 6am and then has to get to my house. Anyway....it will be interesting to see how things go with that. I am not sure if it is supposed to be hot and humid..or what...the walking has been bothering my asthma for sure...Can't wait to see what the running does. While I love this friend dearly, I do think sometimes she forgets that I weigh 270 pounds and that it is not easy for me to run/jog at this weight...but she is pretty patient with me. So, cross your toes and fingers and let's see where this leads.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Good luck with the run/walk. That's a great way to get started running, especially with a friend to run with.
  • suejoker
    Options
    Warrior Sisters, June is just about over! I think we did really well in June and I'm ready for the new July challenges. If you haven't already peeked at the July thread, I'm planning on lifting 3x/week, in addition to my usual exercise.

Stephanie, what a treat to have roasted goat! Can you already do 100 push-ups? I still struggle to do 20!

Jodi, I am so proud of the way that you got right back on track today! That's remarkable that you can run/walk 5 miles! When I started out, I was 220lbs and couldn't walk 5 blocks. I imagine that you must be significantly taller, because I could barely move at my top weight.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Can you already do 100 push-ups?

Not even close. I'd guess more like 10, if that, but the program starts with a test to see how many you can do (that's tonight!) and then has a program to work you up to 100.

I didn't quite make my 500/day for June, the way I was counting, but close enough to feel pretty good about.