New to group

Options
I am so new to clean eating but I know that it is something I really need to start doing. I am starting today and yes I had a 1/2 bagel for breakfast. I try to eat a carb in the am and the rest of the day fruits veggies and proteins. I really just need a starting point and some accountability. I am so glad a came across this group because I really believe it can educate me the right way. Sorry for sounding so lost but how do you view someones open diary I would really love to see how eating clean in done. Thanks

Replies

• ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hello... I'm fairly new to this group but I've made clean eating my goal. My idea of clean eating is eating whole, natural foods and no grains, processed / packaged foods, and no sugar. So I'd say that a bagel is not a whole food because there are no bagel trees. Others in the group may feel different, I'm not sure. I'm not perfect but I do my best. My diary is open but I'm not really tracking food anymore since I no longer believe in calorie-in-and-calorie-out.

One way that I've educated myself on clean eating is by listening to many podcasts, i.e. Abel James (the Fat Burning Man show) and Shawn Stevenson (The Model Health Show). These two discuss real food and health strategies all the time, like how vital sleeping is to good health. And thru the podcasts you can learn of other resources and books that will teach you about real foods.

Welcome to the group! :smile:
  • katnewk
    katnewk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ive been eating clean for years
    They're are some great blogs and newsletters online
    I just try to stay as close to whole as I can
    no processed foods
    I have a herb and veg garden and like to can and freeze veg and dry herbs
    You have to like to cook
    I go to the grocery store Sunday morning. And cook after that for the week so I don't have do this after going. To the gym. Pool running or biking after work
    In the summer we like to cookout I make a summer salad
    You can get good recipees online with good grains and kale
    Good luck to u....
  • joflo723
    joflo723 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of clean eating, even though I'm not religious about it. But I try to make *clean* choices. I would like to suggest a couple of films to watch...Forks Over Knives, Food Inc, and Hungry for Change. Each of these were real eye-openers for me, and I learned a lot from them.
  • favoredchild77
    favoredchild77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Patricia and I am new to this group. I recently lost 25 pounds this year since January. Eating clean and exercise were my slogans. I learned how to eat foods as close to the earth as possible. I always say if something is going to die I can eat it. If it has a mom I should eat it. If it never dies it's not good for me. I love to cook and try to eat out very sparingly. I feel better now than I did in my 20s and I am in my 40s. Eating clean makes all the difference in the world.
  • Mybody928
    Mybody928 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Carolyn and I'm very new to clean eating and having an overall healthier life style. This is my new day new start and I must say its looking great.
  • dailyjoy
    dailyjoy Posts: 4
    Options
    Greetings,

I am new to the group but am excited to learn more about clean eating. I have been on a clean eating challenge and am convinced, not because of the weight I have lost, but because of the side benefits removing processed food from diet is a major key to a healthy life.
    I usually have really bad sinus headaches and have a hard time breathing outside in the humidity. I also have asthma. Since I have been doing the clean eating I have not had a single headache ( I didn't even get the normal coke headache when I have tried giving up soda in the past) and have not had a single sinus problem.
    Due to my asthma my doctor suggested I only work out for ten minute at a time and to always make sure to work out with others around. I was always tired and had no energy. Now I am working out an hour a day and still have plenty of energy.
    The benefits of clean eating aren't limited to losing weight but being healthy.
    I am hoping this group will help me learn more about clean eating, find encouragement, advice, and recipes so that I can make this a lifestyle change and not just a 90 day challenge.
  • sgtlee0626
    sgtlee0626 Posts: 16
    Options
    I just joined the group and would love to keep in touch with some other like-minded people. I love the challenge of making dishes as healthy and clean as possible and love experimenting in the kitchen. Would like to share recipes, motivation and ideas!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I have been (attempting to) eating clean for a little over year. I do great for awhile, then fall off the natural trail and have to find my way back. But for the most part, I eat much healthier now than I ever have in my life. I have completely given up diet pop, rarely have grains (don't want to say never, that would be a big lie LOL), and eat as much natural, organic, whole foods as possible.

Lately hubby and I have been trying Paleo and though it seems to be working for the weight loss/fat loss, it is a lot of work to prepare all the meals in advance so we will have breakfast and lunch ready for the next day. So we are trying to find ways to make it less time consuming and will fit our lifestyle.

For the newbies to clean eating, the previous MFP'ers have covered a lot of what I would have suggested... websites, blogs, podcasts, documentaries. There is a lot of conflicting information out there, so you will need to read, watch, listen, and research to figure out what works for you, your body, and your lifestyle.

I have come think of "dieting" as a religion. Everyone has their own belief and sometimes you find others with same beliefs. But we can still learn from others, what they believe, and how they incorporate their beliefs into their lifestyle. In the end, we all want the same thing, to be the healthiest we can be.

Best advice I can give, try not to get bogged down with do's and don'ts based on what other people believe. Do what works best for you to achieve your goals. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • leigenman
    leigenman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. My name is LeAnh. I saw your post and I am new to this. I like to cook and prepare meals at home. I have found a few good clean recipes and interested in sharing and learning more.
  • The_Hungry_Atheist
    Options
    Me too! I do not eat out and prepare all my meals at home. Need accountability partners and like minded friends. :drinker:
  • lgodwin413
    lgodwin413 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I try to eat whole unprocessed foods. I track my food and calories but I do agree with the previous post that I may be better off not counting calories but chemicals. Can't wait to listen to those podcasts. Always looking for friends