July 2014 Who's In?

Options
kcasey155
kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
Hi I'm Karen. This is my fifth month in a row for this challenge and I like the fact that it pushes me to do that bit more exercise than I normally would. My goal for this month will be 100 miles. I already know the kids are off school at the end of the month, so I'll have to push myself early in the month to get in the mileage!

If this is your first month tell us your goal for the month. We will post our progress on the topic called 'July 2014 Week 1'. For tips on posting see the topic 'Recording Progress' and to find these topics 'click' on "100 Mile Monthly Walking Challenges" at the bottom of this page.

Thank you for joining!

Replies

• mlh37214
    mlh37214 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Michelle from Nashville, TN. This is my 5th or 6th month, and I usually don't make it. :( It is a good way to stay aware of what activity I'm doing, though. My goal, again, is 100 miles for the month. I use a Fitbit to log and have had some issues with it the last couple of days. Hopefully a reset on it has fixed the bugs.

Summer is always a busy time! I've got a couple of vacations planned again this month, and hope to get out and be active! Summer is also a time when I'm not as good about hitting the greenway, b/c I hate hot weather (and snakes!!)! Once I'm through my vacations (and spending excessive amounts of money), I'm going to join a gym. I feel like I've stayed committed to this, and would actually use a membership this time around.

Good luck to everyone!!
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Lillian from NW Saskatchewan. This is my 4 th month here .... I work full time at a desk so it is really hard to get my miles in. I wear a pedometer to track my steps. I get most of my actual walking on weekends, early to keep out of the heat and away from the mosquitos. I live on a farm so there is lots of yard work to do so some of my walking is behind the lawnmower. I love to golf so that is another walking advantage.

My goal for July will still be the 100 miles and I will offer myself a prize if I make an extra 20 miles.

Good luck everyone and have a great summer walking!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

And thank you Karen for moderating this group, it is a great motivation for me
  • MAMA3BYGIL
    MAMA3BYGIL Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi am Lydia from Canada BC, this is my first time one the challenge, my goal is to walk 100 miles for the month of July. Help me with tips. I will do stroll and trademail.
  • twinklemcgee
    twinklemcgee Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'm Stacey, and I'm from Cambridge, UK. I've not done a challenge like this, but walking 100 miles in a month seems like a pretty fun thing to try to do, so I'd like to join you, please!!

I'm going to go for 100 miles as my target. Like Lillian, I have a desk job so getting miles in can be tricky, but I'm going away for a week on Friday so hopefully I can rack up a few miles in coastal walks!

Looking forward to it!
  • Listeninguponyou
    Listeninguponyou Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hello, this is the first challenge for me. I'm trying to lose a lot of weight and walking is my exercise of choice.

I am from Sutherland, Virginia. 100 miles is my goal though I hope to do more this month. I walked around 50 miles last month so tracking could help me pull out 50 more miles! Can't wait for tomorrow! :)

Ultimate goal is 224 miles

Tracker

exercise.png
  • smariere
    smariere Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Stephanie, and I'm from Connecticut. This will be my first challenge. Walking/hiking is my typical form of exercise, so I'm hoping that this challenge will encourage me to keep going and do more of it.
  • colleendodd642
    colleendodd642 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am Colleen from West Yorkshire, UK.

I have arranged a charity walk with a group in August doing the 3 Yorkshire Peaks - 26 miles of walking in under 12 hours, ascending over 5000 feet.
    I was training in May, when I had a few too many glasses of wine one night, fell, and sprained my ankle and did my ligaments. Since then I have done the odd little bit of walking here and there, but today was the first day I have resumed any form of training.

I am signing up for the 100 mile challenge and today I walked 3.88 miles which I will class as my practice run, in the hope I can lose the weight I have gained since May, and be ready for my marathon peak climbs!

Regards,

Colleen
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Hiya All, Glad you are joining us! Welcome :happy:
  • foomsy
    foomsy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    In for this month. Month 2
    Aiming for 250 km - 300km this month.
  • adluce
    adluce Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi from Texas!!! I found this group and will start this challenge and it being my first month!! I have been walking 2 miles 3x a week but looks like I will need to up that!!! Looking forward to the challenge and this group!!
  • Myselvein2012
    Myselvein2012 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Susan from Snoqualmie, WA and I am joining this group for my first month. I am trying to be more intentional about daily activity, so this will be a fun challenge. 100 miles seem achievable if I pay attention. Thanks for organizing!
  • debbiewsharpe
    debbiewsharpe Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Just started back today, glad I found the challenge. I will shoot for 100 this month. I dont know much about how to use this group or how to post, any help would be appreciated.
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Hi. Gean here from Aurora, MN. First time seeing this challenge. I walk 4.5 miles every day with my dog, so this is perfect for me. Is there a weekly check-in, or just the end of the month for reporting and to see how everybody is doing? I have no idea how these things work, I've never taken part in anything on here before.
  • gopgirl425
    gopgirl425 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am from Hampton GA....I also have a desk job from 9-5. I am going for the 100 miles and hope to exceed that.

So glad I saw the post for this...
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Ken I am from NJ and I am trying to build my miles back up. I have been fighting some leg problems that has knocked my fitness down a lot. I have just been able to do 4 miles a day without to much pain and so I will commit to a 100 mile month. Walking to build a base for me will help me overcome the urge to run and possibly reinjure myself.
    Glad to be here
  • SallyPDXer
    SallyPDXer Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm in. This is my first challenge and my goal is 100 miles in July. I will be using my Fitbit so I will be counting all mileage, not just exercise mileage. I've walked a little over 70 miles in June so 100 miles will definitely be a challenge for me but doable.
  • herculzjo
    herculzjo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Connie here. :happy: I live in Northern Wisconsin. This is my 5th time doing the 100 mile challenge. I am retired and have a small horse farm, so I get a lot of walking in. I use the fit bit to track my steps/miles. I walk twice a day with my sister usually about 2.5 miles each time, plus I get a lot of walking in when doing chores, training and shopping etc. I know how hard it is to get walking when you sit at a desk working all day, but the challenge is a good thing to do. The challenge will help motivate you to do extra walking. Good luck to you all. I am aiming for 150-200 miles.
  • 8Nuya8
    8Nuya8 Posts: 30
    Options
    I am new to this and the 100 miles a months challenge really appealed to me. I live close to nuremberg (germany) and have a 3 months old baby-boy who refuses to sleep during the day time unless I carry him. I use a wrap around baby carrier and he loves it and I get my exercise so what could be more perfect for me than this challenge^^
    Anything else? Well I am actually a grad student and work part time in a lab. Both doesnt get me much exercise. Currently I am staying home until the baby is 6 months old. Staying home obviously gives me even less exercise^^
    So here I come july, I am greatly motivated :D
  • jellybeansmamma
    jellybeansmamma Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Tylee From Australia, new to the group so this will be my first month. I just started c25k and am doing it 3 days a week and walking 2 days a week, So I aim on walking/jogging/running 170 kilometers (100 miles) this month. :)
  • aliOop18
    aliOop18 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    New mom to a 4 month old baby girl & looking to get back on track....I'm in!