Replies

• Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions!
  • magdalen13
    magdalen13 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome menu, mind if I copy too? we try to keep our groceries under $100 too although there are only 3 of us, these are such great ideas :)
  • magdalen13
    magdalen13 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

A website I recommend is www.livingonadime.com. One of the founders is dealing with fibromyalgia and is homeschooling her children. The site goes into many things, including food and recipes.

Sometimes I look at the clearance rack at the store (they usually hide it in the back). You can get some things at half- or quarter-price.

Coupons can be helpful, too (just check the dates and the store policy).

Can you grow anything at home? Maybe start a small garden, even if you grow things in a container (the gardening might be helpful with the depression, too).

^ Great site! And I do all of the above things too, sometimes the menu has to change based on what's on clearance but that's OK :)

though coupons can be a trap when you're on a tight budget if you're not eagle-eyed with them -- use the really good deals but otherwise just go for what's cheapest. sometimes that's a trade off with what's healthiest though.

The garden, even just fresh potted herbs in your kitchen, is so helpful. Lettuces & tomatoes for us go a long way in summer.

I actually have a pre-planned "broke" grocery list that I go through when money is super tight and there's no chance of stretching it on the food. Learned this from my mom and sister who also do it :) Then if we have more, I can add in other things.

It includes some healthy basics, and I just steel myself to not buy something if it's above the price I have set that I can pay for it.
    Some examples:
    Boxed rice - $2
    Bagged beans - $1 each
    Ramen - 6/$1 (I know, not nutritional but at least there's something in the pantry)
    2 dozen eggs - $4 (I hardboil one dozen)
    Clearance bread- $1
    Canned tuna - 4/$3
    Peanut butter - $3
    Cheap lunchmeat 2/$1
    Turkey hot dogs $1
    Shredded cheese $2
    Frozen veggies $1 each
    Canned veggies no more than 2/$1
    Whatever fruits are on sale up to $5
    A few frozen lunches $1 each
    Big bag of frozen chicken breast $6
    Lettuce $1
    Fresh veggies on sale up to $4
    Any fish or meat on a good sale (less than $2/lb)
    ... you probably get the idea.That all comes up to about $50. It works, even if it's not varied or ideal. You may notice I'm also not the greatest cook in the world, basically we eat chicken, veggies, rice & beans and salads, as well as soups and chili and sometimes tacos. Thats because I can't pull off the whole-chicken or roast thing, although it's a great idea. breakfast is bagels if I have some extra or an egg and toast if we don't. lunch is frozen, or PB or lunchmeat sandwiches. Snacks are fruits or hot dogs or sometimes some baked chips or popcorn. Thankfully usually these days we have lots extra but I keep the "broke" list around anyway.. it still forms the basis for the not-broke list :)
  • emlee01
    emlee01 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Bump for many great ideas!
  • missfittin_missy
    missfittin_missy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    if you have a Walmart near you right now (until the end of October) their rotisserie chickens are on sale for 4.98. You can't even get a whole raw chicken for that. You can get a couple uses out of one chicken. I use it with pasta or rice, in a wrap, or if you like salad you could bulk it up with some shredded chicken and veggies. There are several websites where you can print coupons off and a lot of stores double or even triple now. Good luck, we all go through hard times but things will get better!
  • rosy_rsls
    rosy_rsls Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    WOW this is amazing!! thank you!!
    I will leave you to research the recipes on skinnytaste, but here is a break down of what your grocery bill could be if you plan right.

Monday: Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Shells (serves 9 with three shells each) $15.70 initial buy
    - 1 pack frozen chopped spinach ($1)
    - 1 large onion ($0.70)
    - 2 cloves of garlic (one head of garlic $0.50)
    - 1 tsp olive oil
    - 1 28 oz cruched tomatoes ($1)
    - 1 Tbsp chopped basil ($2 for a pack)
    - 1 15 oz container of ricotta ($3)
    - 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese, part skim ($3 for a pack)
    -1 egg ($1.50 for a cartoon of medium eggs)
    - 1/4 cup parmesan grated parm ($3 a container)

Tuesday: Turkey "Parm" Burgers (serves 4) $11
    - 1 4 pack of Turkey patties or 1 lb of ground turkey ($6)
    - 4 oz shredded mozzarella (Have some left over from last night $0)
    - 4 tbsp spaghetti sauce ($2)
    - 4 Whole Wheat hamburger buns ($3)

Wednesday: Sloppy Joes $13.50
    - 1 lb Italian sausage ($4)
    - 1/2 cup onion (left over from Monday)
    - 3 garlic cloves (left over from head of garlic)
    - 2 green peppers ($1.50)
    - 1 14 oz can crushed tomatoes ($1)
    - 1/2 tsp dried rosemary ($3 for jar)
    - 4 hamburger buns (left over)
    - 4 slices cheese ($2)
    - 1 cup baby spinach ($2 for a salad pack)

Thursday: Left over night! What ever left overs you have you eat up tonight! If there are no left overs then Breakfast nightt! $8.50
    - 8 eggs (already bought the cartoon)
    - Bacon or sausage ($5 assuming bacon)
    - Sliced bread ($2)
    - Strawberries ($1.50 for a carton at Krogers right now)

Friday: Pizza night! $5
    - 4 whole wheat tortillas ($3 for a pack)
    - left over Shredded Mozzarella
    - left over spaghetti sauce
    - Mini pepperonis ($2)

Saturday: Italian grilled chicken with grilled marinated veggies! $23.40
    - 8 4 oz chicken breasts (4 being saved for tomorrow after gilled) ($12)
    - 1 bottle italian dressing ($2)
    - 1 pack mini peppers ($5)
    - 2 onions ($1.40)
    - prepackages lower sodium marinade of your choice (usually about $3)

Sunday: Salad night! $9.00
    - Left over grilled chicken
    - Baby Spring Salad Mix ($4 for a huge tub)
    - Salad dressing
    -Carrots ($1)
    - Radishes ($1)
    - Salad dressing ($3)

That comes to about $86 for the dinners, assuming that you need to buy everything already. But if you already have the herbs, or the spaghetti sauce or the salad dressings then it makes it even cheaper. For breakfasts do cereals (get the bagged ones, they are cheaper), oatmeal, etc... And lunches can peanut butter sandwiches, or lunch meat sandwiches, with fruit and a cookie or two.

All the prices are based on Kroger prices, so depending on where you shop it could end up being even cheaper.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Broccoli Chowder with Corn and Bacon:

4 slices of thick cut bacon ($3.49)
    1 medium onion (.50)
    1/4 cup flour (free pantry item)
    1 large baking potato ($1)
    1 head of broccoli, 1 lb ($2)
    1 10oz package of frozen corn ($1)
    1/2 tsp dried thyme ($1 for a small jar)
    1 cup of milk ($3.50 for a gallon)
    2 cans of reduced sodium chicken broth ($2)

1. In a large pot, cook bacon over medium-low, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Increase heat to medium. Cook onion, stirring, until it begins to soften, 6 to 8 minutes.

2. Add flour; cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds. Add broth and potato; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer; cook until potato is tender, about 10 minutes. Add broccoli, corn, thyme, and milk. Cook until broccoli is crisp-tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with bacon.

Servings: 4
    Calories: 317
    Fat: 7g
    Carbs: 51g
    Prot: 17g
    Potassium: 762 mg
    Total cost PER SERVING: $2.80, for a total of $11.20.
    Total cost of inital buy: $14.50...assuming you don't have above items on hand.

ETA: Original Recipe is found here: http://www.marthastewart.com/314674/broccoli-chowder-with-corn-and-bacon
  • Quiche867
    Quiche867 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Loving all the great ideas! BUMP!
  • RosanaRosanaDana
    RosanaRosanaDana Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hello Mrs Young,
    I came from a family of 10 so there were a lot of money saving recipes used, One of my favorites as a kid was stuffed hot dogs.

Stuffed Hot Dogs

1 pkg. Turkey Dogs (or whatever you like)
    Mashed Potatoes
    Mustard
    3 slices of Cheese (optional), each slice cut into 1/3's

Preheat oven to 350F
    Slice the hot dogs down the center being careful not to cut through. Spread mustard inside the hot dog, stuff with mashed potatoes, top with 1/3 of a slice of cheese if desired and drizzle a little mustard over the top. My mom got creative and made mustard swirls or wrote our names with mustard. Bake 30 minutes, or until the potatoes begin to crisp.

Egg dishes were also big in our home but then, we had hens. . .

Egg, Olive and Potato Frittata

4 Potatoes, peeled and cut in cubes
    Fry in olive oil until browned and crisp

6 eggs, beaten
    1/2 cup pimento stuffed Green Olives, slice or chopped

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a baking pan and add your fried potatoes. Pour egg into pan making sure it spreads evenly. Sprinkle olives over egg and potato mixture. Bake about 30 minutes or until eggs are set and begin to brown. Slice and serve.

Another favorite we called:

Toads in a Hole

Bread
    Eggs
    Oil and Butter

Use a drinking glass to cut a hole into the center of each slice of bread. Add oil to skillet and a pat of butter for flavor. Lay bread, incluing cut out circle in pan and turn over once to coat both sides with butter/oil. Crack egg into hole in bread. Season with salt and pepper. Turn over once. Cook as you like your eggs. I like mine over easy :tongue:
  • RosanaRosanaDana
    RosanaRosanaDana Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, don't forget about Rice & Beans (cheap, nutritious and best of all, delicious). There are a million recipes on line.

This meal tastes gourmet but is really inexpensive:

Pasta Al Augusta (Pasta in August) can be served hot or cold

1 Box of Pasta (my favorite is Farfalle or Bow Tie)
    1 can Tuna
    Juice from 1 Lemon
    Olive Oil
    Capers (a little goes a long way), rinsed and drained (optional but so worth it)
    Parmesan cheese

Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain and pour into a serving bowl.
    Shred tuna and fold into cooked pasta.
    Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice, mixing to combine.
    Stir in Capers
    Top with Parmesan Cheese

Ravioli Lasagna

Store bought frozen Ravioli's
    Store bought Pasta Sauce
    1 Pint Ricotta
    1 egg
    1 bag Frozen Spinach, thawed and drained
    Parmesan Cheese

Preheat oven to 350F
    Mix to combine ricotta, egg and spinach.
    Spread a little of the pasta sauce in the bottom of your baking dish.
    Place a layer of the uncooked ravioli's on top of that sauce.
    Top with ricotta and spinach mixture.
    Pour some sauce over that and repeat layering process until all is used up.
    Bake at 350F for about 45 minute.

Summertime cold pasta salads are always good as well as inexpensive. Use tuna, deli ham or canned beans as your protein source (chickpeas go well in salads).
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Grilled New England Sea Food Bake

- 2 TBSP butter ($1 per lb when bought on sale), room temp
    - 2 TBSP fresh dill (I purchase the tubed kind, costs more but lasts longer, $2)
    - 1 clove of garlic (left over from garlic head), minced
    - 8 ounces of new potatoes ($2 at Farmer's Market), thinly sliced
    - 1 lb tilapia ($7), cut into 4 equal pieces
    - 20 medium raw shrimp, peeled and devined ($3.50)
    - 2 ears of corn, quartered (.78)
    - 8 thin lemon slices (.25)
    - 1 loaf of crustly garlic bread ($2)

1. Heat grill to medium. In a small bowl, combine butter, dill, and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Set aside.

2. Fold four 14-inch squares of heavy-duty aluminum foil in half, forming 4 rectangles. Assemble packets: On one half of each of four folded pieces of heavy-duty foil, dividing ingredients evenly, arrange potatoes in a single layer; top with fish, then 5 shrimp. Place 2 pieces of corn on the side. Season with salt and pepper. Add a dollop of the butter mixture and two lemon slices. Fold foil over ingredients, and crimp edges tightly to seal.

3. Place packets on grill, with potato layer on the bottom. Cook, rotating (but not flipping) packets occasionally, until fish is just cooked through and potatoes are tender, 12 to 14 minutes.

4. Remove from grill. Slit packets open, and transfer contents to serving bowls. Garnish with dill sprigs; serve with bread.

Total cost: $18.53
    Cost per serving: $4.63

Calories: 420
    Carbs: 10g
    Fat: 4g
    Prot: 45g
  • Desirae_B
    Desirae_B Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love the grilled New England sea food bake recipe - thanks so much for sharing!:happy:
  • roman109
    roman109 Posts: 62
    Options
    Bump
  • kathie1313
    kathie1313 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Aldi is a great low cost food store. It is pretty basic and you can't get the number of choices you get in other food stores, but for instance, you can get cucumbers for as low as 35 cents at times, usually they are 49 cents. You can only pay with a debit card or cash. You bring your own bags. You need to check the produce, as it sometimes is past its prime, but they do have a money back guarantee for returns. My Aldi seal whole chickens for 95 cents/lb., which is good.

It is worth the time to Google the closest location near you.

Good luck.
  • kathie1313
    kathie1313 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I used to live in the UK so I could follow you very easy. That is where I first found Aldi. I lived in Surrey. I miss it a lot.
  • LissaDebo
    LissaDebo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks rduhlir for next week's shopping list! I am going to take the list to the grocery store and use it for next weeks dinners which solves the problem of what to make!
  • S_Murphree
    S_Murphree Posts: 94
    Options
    This is awesome!
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    We're also four on $100/week. We started doing this with fairly well stocked pantry so I've been able to wait for sales to replenish the things I use. Currently trying to spend closer to $80/week and saving the other $20/week for an upcoming case-lot sale that will save money (generally canned foods and bagged flour are 50% off). As evident of posts food prices change drastically by location. "$1 a pound for butter on sale" we only get as LOW as $2/lb on sale and that's only twice a year. Currently butter is over $4/lb where I live. We don't use much in recipes that we personally eat (butter on toast uses 90% of our home-use). I do however have a separate grocery expense of baking for the Farmers Market, it's self-sufficient by repurchasing what it uses then it usually covers the $100/week grocery bill for the home.

My favorite ways of purchasing bulk are heavy sales or 'dented-can' stores. There is a fabulous one about 240 miles away in Salt Lake City, Utah. They can have the strangest things.. I bought onion powder, salt-free seasoning (like Mrs. Dash), strawberry Jello, & hot cocoa powder in large bags for $0.99-$1.99/lb. Also purchased 42# of whole chickens for $20 (under 50cents a pound), 50# of good looking yellow onions for $8 (I went in on these with a friend because I can't use 50# quite fast enough). Frozen lunch meats were $1/lb for ham or turkey. Pastrami was $2/lb. Olive Oil mayo and salad dressing $0.99/jar (35 calories a tablespoon.. way nice for dieting). Walnuts were $3.99/lb. We only get down there twice a year but I wish we had excuse to go down more often. Could easily feed a family for under $100/week buying there.

Here's a few recipes I've made recently. My family aren't watching calories too much so these would be portion-controled items for me.

Tuna Macaroni Salad, serve chilled -- Great side dish to prepare ahead of time -- Cost of ingredients $3.54
    1 can of tuna (79 cents)
    1 pound salad macaroni ($1/lb normal sale $1)
    1/2 jar salad dressing ($2/jar normal sale = $1)
    1/8 jar mayo ($2/jar normal sale = 25 cents)
    1/2 medium onion, diced (25 cents)
    2 stalks celery (25 cents.. rough guess)
    Salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste.

Tuna Noodle Casserole $4.97 -- We normally serve this as the main dish
    1# egg noddles ($1/lb on sale)
    1 can cream of mushroom (50 cents, sale price)
    2 cans tuna (2@ 79cens = $1.58)
    6 oz shredded cheddar cheese ($2.50/lb sale price, 94 cents)
    1/2 cup sour cream ($1.79 regular price for 24 oz, uses 1/4 of tub = 45 cents)
    up to 1 cup of milk (50 cents a cup)
    Salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste.
    Tonight we are going to have baked chicken, mashed potatoes, and gravy. Vegetables have been a problem for us recently, no local sales and prices are high. All I have ready in the garden are overgrown radishes.. so we've been eating radish greens lately. They aren't terrible but my 7 year old bite into a moth cocoon 2 nights ago now he won't eat the greens.. and I don't blame him.. I've been having a hard time eating them too since that happened. I get about a cup of sugar peas every few days too.

Chicken, mashed potatoes, and gravy -- $4.85

Large 5# chicken ($2.50, great sale price)
    3# potatoes for mashed (local non-sale price 27 cents/# 81 cents)
    1/4 cup milk (13 cents)
    2 tablespoon butter ($2.50/lb sale price , 16 cents)
    salt and pepper
    Gravy -- chicken drippings
    1 can cream of chicken soup (50 cents sale price)
    1/4 cup Corn Starch (rough estimate 25 cents)
    2 tsp chicken bouillon powder (50 cents maybe)
    Last nights meal -- "Chicken Tetrazzini" -- $6.39
    It turned out to be pork from leftover roast. Not nearly as good. Here is the original recipe which will turn out much better
    1 pound spaghetti pasta ($1 sale price)
    1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream ($5 for 32 ounces, $1.88)
    1/2 medium onion, chopped (25 cents)
    2 stalks celery (50 cents?)
    2 tablespoons butter (16 cents)
    1/4 cup flour (10 cents)
    2 split chicken breasts (1# @ $2/lb sale price)
    3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese (50 cents)

Boil chicken breasts in 4 cups of water, diced celery and onions until meat is cooked and veggies are soft. In separate pot start cooking your pasta. Once chicken is cooked dump into a mixing bowl (you can discard those veggies, but I never do.. I just mix it into the dish since we need the veggies). In that pot melt butter and add flour. Mix those together well with a whisk. Once those are combined add to 2 cups of the chicken broth to that mix. Whisk and heat until in becomes a think mixture. Add cream, heat and mix until thick. Mix together the pasta and chopped chicken then add the parmesan cheese last. Combine well and serve. Original recipe called to bake the parmesan cheese on top for 15 minutes or so, but we never do that. Last night I think I added 2 tsp of chicken bouillon powder.. so another 50 cents maybe. But I was using leftover pork and couldn't get the right taste. It worked, it just didn't taste like the original recipe, but it was eaten to a scraped out pot. Last night I only used 1 cup of cream.. it just didn't need the other 1/2 cup.. don't know why. When I use leftover chicken I boil the celery and onion with a tsp of chicken bouillon until they are soft then add the already cooked chicken for maybe 2 minutes then continue with the recipe. If you get the cream on sale and are using leftover chicken/pork you have a very cheap meal.
    Lunch yesterday, for my husband, was pulled pork sandwich. I swear we've been eating that pork roast forever.. I'm so over it. I put the remaining meat in the freezer last night because we need a break. I had jello.

Pulled pork sandwich, $1
    6 oz pork roast ($2/lb normally, we raised our own.. but 25 cents-ish if purchase from store)
    3 tablespoons Sweet Baby Rays barbeque sauce (25 cents)
    Bun (50 cents max)

Meat is a little different story for us. I did buy some chicken the other day, but normally our meat doesn't come from the store. I should have picked up our beef from the butcher shop yesterday but I was postponed until tomorrow. That's 700#'s of beef. Most of that I will sell at the Farmers Market.. but we'll be set with beef until the next is butchered in the Fall. I raise rabbits for meat, we end up getting a chicken here or there also (they turn into egg-eaters so we eat them right back). Still working on the pigs we raised for meat last year (down to 9 roasts and about 20#'s of sausage to finish). I also have 30# of elk a friend gave us (they didn't want to cut it up) from last December I had forgotten about until I was cleaning the freezer to make space for the beef yesterday. We had a freezer go bad early this Spring, a monster sized. I just cleaned it out good and hit it with sanitizer yesterday. We live in a very dry climate so I'm going to store my dried goods in that (flour, salt, pasta, dried fruit, spices, coffee).. things that can freeze ok because we have harsh Winters.
    My inside lettuce has gone tough, I need to replant that. I also have chives in the house and out in the garden. We have a garden but super short growing season and we've only been able to harvest greens so far. When I think about it I sprout alfalfa seeds for sandwiches too. I can see it would be very difficult to stay to $100/week budget if you worked outside the home, or lived somewhere that did not have frequent good food sales. Cooking food takes a long time, not just in food prep but also in cleanup.. pots, pans, cutting boards, strainers.. all get handwashed here. Bah.

Well, you got me to figure out prices of some meals.. been meaning to do that I'm going to add those to my meal index cards.. might do some calorie workups too. I've done the calorie workup on the tetrazzini before too, though it needs to be tweeked each time I cook since things turn out a little different each time. I just left it with original recipe but it would be slightly less calories because of using less cream.. I just figured it was close enough. It's not a light meal.
  • kdalbokova
    kdalbokova Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I read all the posts and there are a lot of great ideas, i will try some of them for sure. I come from Bulgaria and we have some traditional meals that are very easy and (at least here) cheap. I really think i didn't read something like them here,if there is,please excuse me. I hope they will be helpful and good tasting for you!

1) Stuffed peppers
    We make 2 types :
    a) First you put some onion in oil and a bit of water to soften, you can add a little carrot, then you put the rise in the same fan/pot and add water to cook the rise till it is half ready, then you put minced meat and when it is almost ready you stuff this mix into the peppers (dried or fresh, dried red peppers taste better i think, but you have to put them into water to soften a bit so you can fill them). You can also make a sause from yogurt, egg and flour and pour it over the filled peppers, then you put everything in the oven.
    b)These are simplier and quicker to make : You mix eggs with cheese (of course we use our bulgarian white cheese, but i guess you can replace it with some other type) Then you stuff fresh peppers with the mix and bake in the oven.

2) and 3) Another simple and at least here cheap meals are lense and beans. You can add some sausage to it. I put the lense/beans in a lot of water for one night or at least a few hours, it gets ready quicker and it is better for your stomach this way. Sometimes i "undress" the beans but it takes a lot of time. You can do it like soup or you can add some flour to make it thicker. Don't forget the onions, carrots and a bit pepper at the beginning just for better taste.

4) "Musaka"
    I think i saw something like this but i am not sure anymore so here is our traditional recipe:
    First you put onion, oil, carrot, minced meat and just a bit dried or fresh tomatoe and some spices in the fan/pot, when the onion and the carrot get soft. Then you put this mix to some cut in little pieces potatoes in a pan and cover in half with water. As soon as the potatoes are ready you cover the whole mix with this mix :
    2eggs + 200 grams yogurt+ half teaspoon baking soda/baking powder + salt
    Then bake for 15-20 mins till the yogurt mix gets a golden colour.

For breakfast we make pancakes(you can make them also from oats) and we eat them with honey, cheese or of course chocolate or something that is not at all dietetic, but is low-budget:
    500 grams yogurt + baking soda/baking powder +2 eggs+300 cheese + flour : Mix and leave for one night in the fridge. In the morning make little balls which you have to spread so they look like a bread slice and then fry in a lot of oil. You can also make them without the cheese and then spread someting sweet on them.
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    i have a recipe for crock pot oatmeal. i don't have the breakdown in cost, but i am sure that it wouldn't be expensive.

1 1/2 cups oats (rolled) or 2 cups steel cut oats
    2 cups water for rolled, or 6 cups water for steel cut
    cut up apple
    chopped nuts
    cinnamon
    raisins optional

put all ingredients in crock pot and cook on low overnight (8 hrs)