At Goal Weight on Paleo - and still going down.....

Options
So Paleo is working out great. Super happy.. sometimes when i see people eating like pasta or bread i get a slight craving.. but its not enough to indulge and since i KNOW NOW without a doubt it has no nutritional value.. its kool.. and craving goes away when i look away.. not difficult i must say...

Once you are at goal weight.. very hard to lose more.. yet for some reason i think i might since this diet is so different from my VLC ridiculous high carb diet which i have done my whole life.... this diet is making me eat more and i am losing weight.. its very weird...

I just think if i keep logging in my calories at 1200/1300.. the scale will keep going down...without really doing anything.. and hopefully if i do lose 3 more lbs. then i can start thinking about how to NOT LOSE WEIGHT ( how amazing would that be )...... and then maybe i can eat 1500 and then i will just be in awe.. i look forward to posting the success of this amaing NEW LIFESTYLE..

i bought the organic honey from TRADER JOES and its the most delicious thing ever...

Replies

• maria_antoinette
    maria_antoinette Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    So Paleo is working out great. Super happy.. sometimes when i see people eating like pasta or bread i get a slight craving.. but its not enough to indulge and since i KNOW NOW without a doubt it has no nutritional value.. its kool.. and craving goes away when i look away.. not difficult i must say...

Once you are at goal weight.. very hard to lose more.. yet for some reason i think i might since this diet is so different from my VLC ridiculous high carb diet which i have done my whole life.... this diet is making me eat more and i am losing weight.. its very weird...

I just think if i keep logging in my calories at 1200/1300.. the scale will keep going down...without really doing anything.. and hopefully if i do lose 3 more lbs. then i can start thinking about how to NOT LOSE WEIGHT ( how amazing would that be )...... and then maybe i can eat 1500 and then i will just be in awe.. i look forward to posting the success of this amaing NEW LIFESTYLE..

i bought the organic honey from TRADER JOES and its the most delicious thing ever...

oh yeah PS.. the 5 lbs. i just lost. i did in 2 weeks on paleo.. and i have been trying to do that for 10 LONG YEARS by starving.. and it would not work... so right now its like i still feel like i am dreaming.....
  • cew3028
    cew3028 Posts: 32
    Options
    Congrats on your success! I am just starting out on this whole Paleo thing, so your story is a huge encouragement! The idea of trying to not lose weight, I wouldn't know what to do!
  • maria_antoinette
    Options
    i have been struggling with being overweight my entire LIFE.... my normal weight is like 150 .. but in college i maintained like 125 sometimes by STARVINGGGGGGGGGGGG... then in my 30's with DIET pills.. that in my late 30's. could not do that anymore.. unhealthy.. so i was doing VLCalorie diets and gym like crazy for the past 10 years.. being able to maintiain 135/140. but i was STARVING....... and working out so much i ended up with knee surgery .......
    and the yo yo suffering has been out of control..

Then comes PALEO .....and now i eat MORE with paleo and i have never felt better.................... KEEP UP THE PALEO is my point.. it works, its healthy and i am toooooooooooooooo OLD and happy to keep suffering... this diet has CHANGED my life.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    It's changed my life too. When I was in the military I kept my weight under control by running six miles a day and bulimia. Can you call that maintaining a healthy weight? (Rhetorical question; no answer needed.)

I finally made peace with my body, stopped dieting, just tried to eat healthy. The weight crept up. Arthritis hit. After being dismayed at conventional medicine's prognosis for disease progression, I started researching alternatives and hit on paleo/primal. (Started with Robb Wolf, went on to Mark Sisson's method as something easier for me to sustain for the long run.) Accidentally lost 40 lbs while eating to eliminate inflammation. Hoping to lose 40 more over the next year or two, if that's what my body wants to do. Not really dieting, just eating for pain relief.

My carbs have been in maintenance mode (100-200 g daily, trying to stay towards the low end as much as possible as I feel better the lower my carbs are) since January due to lots of travel, but now with summer I'll be home for a few months, able to shop and cook for myself, and thus able to keep the carbs between 30-80g a day. I gained about five or ten pounds between January and March and then my weight stabilized. Since being home (a whole week now!) I've started losing again slowly. Will be interested to see where my "set point" ends up.

Know what you mean about struggling with overweight one's whole life. My mom signed me up for Weight Watchers when I was 12. I can remember binging on ice cream and the chocolate chips from the baking drawer and my mom's homemade baked goods from my earliest days, and I kept on binging as long as I kept trying to control my weight with dieting. When I gave up dieting, I stopped binging -- but my weight went up over 200 lbs, not healthy for someone just over 5 feet.

Paleo feels like being set free, and Mark Sisson's 80/20 principle has totally changed my relationship with food. I eat whatever I want, whenever I want. (Of course, it's within the constraints of paleo/primal eating, most of the time.)

Though I don't recommend doing this, I was able to eat non-primal foods on vacation. Out of a month of days, I had pizza one day, ice cream another day, an amazing cinnamon roll another day, and Thai food (Pad Thai, which can be made gluten free but still involves high-carb rice noodles) a couple of days. These indulgences were spread out over the month, not back-to-back. I don't want to reawaken the cravings I used to have. I don't think I switched my body from fat-burning to carb-burning by these treats, because I never got the low-blood-sugar shakes or the high-blood-sugar sleepiness that was common before I started low-carbing.

Oh, and I have determined via elimination diet and reintroduction that gluten doesn't seem to have any effect on me. Dairy does (it's the protein, not the lactose -- so I still occasionally have full-fat dairy like cream, butter, sour cream, and rarely, full-fat cheese). Nightshades definitely do (three days of painful, swollen joints after eating tomatoes or potatoes). Just because I don't notice adverse reactions to gluten doesn't mean it's welcome back in my diet. It's so high in carbs, I'll avoid it just for that reason, like I avoid all the other grains, even rice and non-GMO corn. (If I keep my carbs under 80g a day I'm never hungry. I like that feeling.) Call it a luxury. Now that vacation is over I doubt I'll have any more gluten for months.

Sheesh, I feel like I'm talking about myself too much. Just wanted to encourage you and give you some food for thought as you work out this new lifestyle. Paleo/primal *is* a lifestyle, not a diet. If you "go off" and resume the SAD way of eating, I imagine you'd gain the weight back along with having that starving feeling.

Trying not to lose weight. What a concept. Not something I've ever had to worry about.
  • maria_antoinette
    Options
    It was my friends birthday today.. went out to lunch.. literally ate GRILLED veggies and a side of grilled chicken.. (not so hard to eat paleo when confronted with a meno ).. of course i had some vodka for fun.. but like it was not hard to NOT order the pasta and i did not even notice the garlic bread which i usually EAT THE ENTIRE basket...... how weird is that???!!!! i feel free.. like you said.. my choices are natural.....
    thats not what i am use to.... i feel happy and healthy and good... and i did not feel like i was on a diet...
  • mandabrett
    mandabrett Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm so proud if you. This is supposed to be a lifestyle. The fact that it is natural to you is awesome.
  • maria_antoinette
    Options
    I'm so proud if you. This is supposed to be a lifestyle. The fact that it is natural to you is awesome.

the cravings after a week just went away.... before i would die if i would not have PIZZA or PASTA.. and if someone ate that in front of me.. i would immediatly go for a slice.. and now i dont care... iits NOT WILLPOWER.. its whatever is going on with this PALEO thing..
  • homesweeths
    Options

the cravings after a week just went away.... before i would die if i would not have PIZZA or PASTA.. and if someone ate that in front of me.. i would immediatly go for a slice.. and now i dont care... iits NOT WILLPOWER.. its whatever is going on with this PALEO thing..

Yeah, amazing how that happens. On previous diets, I'd crave the stuff I was avoiding (like pizza and ice cream and whatever I saw other people eating, or smelled baking in a store -- Cinnabon, anyone?). But with the paleo/primal lifestyle, I don't really find that stuff tempting.

Oh, I still eat ice cream, maybe once a week. But it's the good stuff, full fat, as much cream as possible, without artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, thickeners, whatever (carageenan, for example). It's part of my "20" (google "Mark Sisson" and 80/20 if you don't know what this means).
  • maria_antoinette
    Options

so like on vacation. i can literally order berries and a side of heavy cream.. and that might just be perfect ?

Yeah, amazing how that happens. On previous diets, I'd crave the stuff I was avoiding (like pizza and ice cream and whatever I saw other people eating, or smelled baking in a store -- Cinnabon, anyone?). But with the paleo/primal lifestyle, I don't really find that stuff tempting.

Oh, I still eat ice cream, maybe once a week. But it's the good stuff, full fat, as much cream as possible, without artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, thickeners, whatever (carageenan, for example). It's part of my "20" (google "Mark Sisson" and 80/20 if you don't know what this means).
  • homesweeths
    Options
    Berries with a side of heavy cream is just about perfect. I'd say "perfect" but I can't, quite, because it's getting harder and harder to find heavy cream without carageenan added! Also, if you order it "out" you want to make sure they didn't sweeten the cream.

I have only found heavy cream at a couple of stores, Trader Joe's and a whole foods-type local chain, without added stabilizers. Even some of the organic brands have carageenan! Bummer.

p.s. So just fresh berries, no cream or sweetening, might be your best bet. Or call it your 20% if you're following Mark Sisson's 80/20 mindset, and that way if the cream has something added, you don't feel as if you've blown it.