Going to visit my son's Yeshiva this Shabbat

Options
Rena42
Rena42 Posts: 66 Member
We have a Shabbat Horim (Parents Shabat) this Shabbat. I have no idea what to expect, food wise. I'm a bit nervous that there aren't going to be any good food options for me. Yeshiva and healthy food don't really go together. I'm bring fruit with me so that I have a healthy snack for Shabbat afternoon. The biggest problem is that Shabbat is soooooo long. This is the first one of these that I've gone to. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of a things?

Wish me luck.

Replies

• kumphort2
    kumphort2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Can you ask your son what typical food is like in Yeshiva? Does he have access to any sort of fridge, so you can bring yogurts, or deli meat with u?

Good Luck!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I am sure they will have some variety; after all you're guests. It's been my experience that these events are usually heavy on the fatty foods such as kugels and mayonaisey salads.

Why not take small portions of the foods that interest you, and then get back on track when you get home? Unless you've called ahead of time and told them that you have a special diet ... you don't have much choice.
  • Rena42
    Rena42 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    All I could eat was bread, potatoes, rice, peas and carrots, red cabbage salad, humus and challah. (I don't eat meat, but the meat they had there was shnitzel and roasted chicken in skin, so I didn't see that as a great option eaither). I'm really glad that I brought fruit with me.

Besides that, it was a really lovely shabbat. I guess you can't have everything. :-)
  • NewSavta
    NewSavta Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Reviving this discussion as I am now in exactly the same position as Rena was last year. (Wonder if it's the same yeshiva...). My son already warned me that I would have a difficult time and should bring food with me, but I'm not happy about sitting at the table with my own food...don't want people asking about it.
    Any advice?
  • Amy3935
    Amy3935 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It's one weekend, I think as long as you eat in moderation and go for the "better" foods than the worse foods, you won't come out much worse for the wear after. Steer clear of stacking, don't fill up on challah, and just eat small portions! One day does not a diet ruin.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    It's one weekend, I think as long as you eat in moderation and go for the "better" foods than the worse foods, you won't come out much worse for the wear after. Steer clear of stacking, don't fill up on challah, and just eat small portions! One day does not a diet ruin.

Agree.

One thing I learned over the last 10 months was that you can't let weight loss rule your life. If you do, eventually you'll give it all up. As long as you're doing what's right 95% of the time, you'll be fine. I'm not a big fan of planning cheat days (although I've done that a couple of times), but when the situation isn't ideal, just go with the flow.