Sick of meat, eggs & cheese! Help!!

Options
memelizzy
memelizzy Posts: 101 Member
Is it normal during the 2nd week of Induction, to get sick of meat, eggs and cheese? Will this feeling pass? Just wondering what to expect, it seems to keep me from despair if I know what others are experiencing. Thanks for any help!

Replies

• GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Go to the free Atkins site and get some induction friendly meal plans.

http://www.atkins.com/Free-Tools/Phase-1---Made-Easy.aspx

And yes it's normal to get sick of eating a limited menu. That's why Atkins has you increase your carbs and add more back in each week after 2 weeks of induction. Slow and steady weight loss in OWL is better in the long run then staying in induction for too long and going insane ;-)
  • memelizzy
    Options
    I agree with you! I'm almost done with my 2 weeks so I will see how I feel then to decide if I go on for a 3rd week. I think my problem was because I felt nauseated, everything sounded and tasted yucky. I made myself eat a taco salad with lettuce, hamburger, cheese, sour cream, a tad of salsa and a little ranch dressing just before bed and I felt much better the next day. I appreciate all the helpful comments on this forum, it has kept me going when the going was rough! Thanks!!
  • NattieRose80
    NattieRose80 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am on week 4 or so of induction. I do get tired mostly of the dang EGGS! ugh. but the Atkins bars has helped with my sugar fix. I printed out the induction food list and was able to use Pinterest and All recipe's to give me more Ideas. I find that I will have a couple things from the OWL list if I just cant stand it anymore. However seeing the number on the scale go down I get my motivation to stay on induction. I also will get a bacon burger with all the fixings and take the bun off which helps.
    Atkins is so different than any other diet I have tried in that I feel more satisfied with the options rather than salad all the time. Good luck. You can do it. Oh the other thing that helps is preparing the meat different ways all the time. I coated chicken in pork rinds and fried them which was good. or instead of just tuna I made a hearty tuna salad and ate it with cucumbers or with celery. It helped me immensely. Have a great day.
  • recker80
    recker80 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I'm on day 5 and I cringe when I get hungry as of today! But I did invent something fun off the list of acceptable foods of Atkins. I noticed in my old book, sugar free jello is listed but not on the new list, not sure why cause sf jello never affected me or my ketones.
    1.5 cup heavy cream. And whip it up until stiff. 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 8 ounce package of cream cheese, 3 tablespoons of sf raspberry jam and 1/2 a package of sf jello. Whip it all up and freeze in popcicle molds of about 3 ounces each. Then freeze overnight. Run under hot water to loosen if needed. made 12 pops. I think it worked out to be about 1.5 carbs per pop or so. It was very satisfying in this hot weather we have been having. It does get better as you can add nuts and seeds and low carb fruit. Induction is like detox and flushes crap out of your body. Keep up the great work
  • memelizzy
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe, recker80! It sounds delish!! I am now on the end of day 18, still doing Induction. I kind of got over my aversion to meat, eggs and cheese. Lol! I think I just felt sick in general and nothing much sounded good at that time.

Now I keep eating taco salads: lettuce, ranch dressing, taco seasoned hamburger, salsa, cheese, sour cream.....yum! Breakfast is usually: an egg and sausage patty or bacon. Treats are usually: hot & spicy pork rinds (not many, they have carbs), my version of guacamole, orange cream soda (diet orange pop with a tablespoon of heavy cream stirred in).

I get busy and don't eat as much as I should. That's a strange problem isn't it! I have been trying to find some Induction friendly recipes of foods similar to what I used to enjoy eating like fried chicken tenders. I found a recipe that sounded good, but I haven't tried it yet. I plan to tomorrow and I'll let you know how good it is. I'm considering trying mashed cauliflower to replace mash potatoes, I've heard they taste a little like them.

I haven't really tried anything indulgent yet, but considering making oopsie bread rolls and trying to make a low carb version of a cream puff. I've never gone this long without an indulgent! Now I feel like I can handle a low carb version and stop at one. It's wonderful!!
  • memelizzy
    Options
    NattieRose80, I like your idea of coating chicken with pork rinds. I didn't find that one when I was looking for recipes for coatings for chicken. My appetite is coming back for meat , eggs and cheese again and tuna salad does sound good too and I bought some of the ingredients for that so I'll get a can of tuna and try out celery and cucumbers with it! Thanks for the ideas and support!!
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    It's important not to stay on the induction-level diet too long. It's too strict and hard to live by--makes it more likely you'll just quit the diet at some point.

Someone posted they've been on it 5 weeks. Any time after 2 weeks is time to start increasing your target carb intake by 5 g/d for a week, and each week thereafter for however many weeks it takes until you reach a carb level that causes a plateau in weight loss, then dial back the target 5 g/d.

For me when not active the plateau is 75g/d--a LOT more liveable than 20g/d of the induction phase, and I lose about 2 lbs/week at 70 g carb a day.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    NattieRose80, I like your idea of coating chicken with pork rinds. I didn't find that one when I was looking for recipes for coatings for chicken. My appetite is coming back for meat , eggs and cheese again and tuna salad does sound good too and I bought some of the ingredients for that so I'll get a can of tuna and try out celery and cucumbers with it! Thanks for the ideas and support!!

ditto that's brilliant!!!
  • jessicadougherty86
    jessicadougherty86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Look up youtube videos of Kent Altma he has a lot of great atkins induction meals that are sooo good!
  • NattieRose80
    Options
    Yes!! I'm on day 5 and I cringe when I get hungry as of today! But I did invent something fun off the list of acceptable foods of Atkins. I noticed in my old book, sugar free jello is listed but not on the new list, not sure why cause sf jello never affected me or my ketones.
    1.5 cup heavy cream. And whip it up until stiff. 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 8 ounce package of cream cheese, 3 tablespoons of sf raspberry jam and 1/2 a package of sf jello. Whip it all up and freeze in popcicle molds of about 3 ounces each. Then freeze overnight. Run under hot water to loosen if needed. made 12 pops. I think it worked out to be about 1.5 carbs per pop or so. It was very satisfying in this hot weather we have been having. It does get better as you can add nuts and seeds and low carb fruit. Induction is like detox and flushes crap out of your body. Keep up the great work

Sounds amazing!!! thanks for posting this!
  • NattieRose80
    Options

:).... Thank you for the support as well :)
  • VaporHero2
    VaporHero2 Posts: 24
    Options
    Two months into induction. Yes, it gets old.. Then you find ways to spice it up, then that gets old... And on and on. Just keep finding ways to spice it up and you'll do great. I'm proud of you. Keep it up! :)
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Download the app called Spark Recipes. Open it and go to Search and type in "low carb". It will bring up literally hundreds of low carb recipes! I eat pancakes and syrup for breakfast for a total of about 2 carbs. Mock cream cheese Danish and flaxseed muffins are some of my other favorites. And there is a recipe for bread that has less than 1 carb for 2 slices! That first sandwich was heavenly!!!
    When you find a recipe you like, add it to favorites so it will be easily accessible! Oh, and there of tons of low carb sweets too!
    Enjoy!!????
  • memelizzy
    Options
    Thank you, thank you everyone!! I forgot to look at this posting for several days and I see all you kind people's input. I will check them all out. And you're all right, it does get easier and easier and all the recipe choices help make it so!