Yeah ...! One for us slow coaches. And 2 questions..

Options
gentlygently
gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
I have been working up to this post for quite a long time.... (Er a few years in fact), but today was my first ever mile. Please excuse the mini brag but I am very happy with myself.

Ok it took just over an hour (but half was drills, that plays a part) but at least I did make it.

I am particularly pleased cos I've had a longish break from swimming having been ill (ill enough to lose my job but not so ill I will not recover). Before hand I mainly did 800 - 1000m swims as I could not get in the pool long enough for a slow coach mile. But there again 5 years ago 500m was a challenge, and 5 years before that I was afraid of the deep end....

So a recent goal has been to use the extra time i currently have to get swimming again to help me get (and feel!) better and to swim a mile - Which somehow makes me feel like a proper swimmer (!).

2 questions:

How fast is a reasonable mile time? I am guessing 45 mins is 'respectable' - tho clearly not 'fast' ?!

I often get a dull ache in my back after swimming - especially breaststroke. I know from swimming lessons I kick too flat (parallel to water surface, rather than into pool) and I suspect I kink my back a little as part of this but cannot find a mental image to stop myself from doing this (a number of teachers have tried here). Any suggestions ?

Happy swimming everyone.

Replies

• Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I swam my first mile, nonstop, in about 30 minutes (straight freestyle). I don't recommend setting a definite time to finish by. Instead, just try to swim a mile in less time than you did before, even if it's just a minute sooner.

Have you tried strengthening your core muscles? That might help your back problem. As far as kicking goes, do you kick from the knees or from the hips? You should be kicking from the hip (using the thighs) with a semi-relaxed knee and flexible ankles.

Congratulations on your progress! I'm also swimming again after a long illness - transverse myelitis. It killed all my sensory nerves from the chest down. Had to relearn how to stand, walk, drive, etc. all over again. I'm still recovering from it after 8 years. I mostly just have balance issues.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    +1

Yes, strengthen your core and maybe have a coach watch your kicks both breast and free. If you are not positioned properly in the water you can strain your back.
    Also your strokes may need adjustment. There are lots of sites online with tips and advice
    I swim my mile in just under 55 minutes, but I stop often. I mostly swim for endurance not speed. I have yet to swim it all freestyle without stopping! Breast stroke I can do all day.
    You are doing great! You should be very proud of yourself!
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Ok I gotta ask. What does "+1" mean?
  • Snip8241
    Options
    Oh. It means agreement!
  • conniekat8
    conniekat8 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Wooo hooo, congratulations!!!!

As for the respectable mine every time you beat your "PB" time - Personal Best - it is very respectable, and something we all strive for, for a swim that is a bit better then the last.

When you ask about what is a reasonable time for a mile, I have to ask for who? It really varies on personal goals, age, physical condition, swimmer experience.

Just being able to swim a mile you're ahead of about 95+% of the population in the US. ;)
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Wooo hooo, congratulations!!!!

As for the respectable mine every time you beat your "PB" time - Personal Best - it is very respectable, and something we all strive for, for a swim that is a bit better then the last.

When you ask about what is a reasonable time for a mile, I have to ask for who? It really varies on personal goals, age, physical condition, swimmer experience.

Just being able to swim a mile you're ahead of about 95+% of the population in the US. ;)

I couldn't have said it better myself - I coach kids during the summer & I constantly tell them that the only thing they are racing is the clock, that continually bringing your time down is the goal. That's IF speed is your goal - if endurance is your goal then you should be looking to up the yardage over the long term. Keep swimming & do it for you, nothing else matters......
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Well done on swimming your mile - such a brilliant milestone to achieve. Don't worry about the time - its just your time. As said above, just focus on improving your own time.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Good job, relax and enjoy the swim.
  • jjeanmneis
    jjeanmneis Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Ok I gotta ask. What does "+1" mean?

I felt it means +1 mile (finished) :tongue:
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. And in particular good luck in your continued health /recover Ms-J1 .... That was really something shocking for you and I am pleased swimming has helped you too.

Oh yes, I agree a slow and steady improvement in my PB speed is a good realistic goal (and something I have done over the years in effect anyway). I'll be plugging away at that modestly.

So thinking more about it, I think my question was probably more philosophical. If somehow doing a mile makes me feel a 'proper' swimmer (and judging by fellow people who have posted similar happy tales of their first mile I am not the only one) is there a speed goal for a mile or other distance that lots of people getting into swimming aim for? A similar symbolic sort of goal?

Even Moments or achievements that made you proud too....

Anyway back to dreaming up new mnenomics for a speed based 1km (I can't count laps, do all my swims to mnenomics!)...
  • Snip8241
    Options
    I saw my coach today and asked her what she thought of the pain in your back during breaststroke. She said if you are kicking underneath yourself instead of to the side that can put a strain on your back. Make your kick wider and to the side.
    You sound like you are enjoying your swimming. Keep up with it.
    Don't worry about your speed , it will come.
    Send me a friend request if you would like.:smile::flowerforyou: