Budget??

Options
StacyRenee77
StacyRenee77 Posts: 2,732 Member
Can I really do this lifestyle on a budget? If so give me an example what you buy and how often

Replies

• leighn62
    leighn62 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yep. Whole chicken, chicken thighs and drumsticks, eggs, frozen veggies, peanut butter, hamburger, canned tuna. Just a start.
  • 17JayR
    17JayR Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You just need to plan your meals off what meat and veggies are on sale that week. Stock up on things that last longer (like cheese and nuts) when they are on sale, so you have enough to last until the next sale.
  • virtualjunkyard
    virtualjunkyard Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It is a little more expensive...but well worth it. Try to shop at Aldi's and Costco if available.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Costco is a great. I go there a lot for supplies. It has big containers of coconut oil, unsalted butter, cream cheese and more. You can also buy some of your meat at Wal-Mart. They put things on sale midweek and restock on the weekends. You can get HWC at Wal-Mart for less than $4. When on a budget, stick to the basics. You don't need the grass-fed meat or organic butter.

Here's a great link...

http://www.ruled.me/eating-keto-budget/
  • aleehagen
    aleehagen Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I find the ingredients that you may buy are perhaps more expensive. Deals are there to be had, especially during bbq season on meat. But I also find that the foods you are eating are much more dense, satiating and filling so I find it hard to stuff myself as I used to almost a year ago. I feel during the initial phase you might eat more, but it tapers down and it's hard to eat a lot of food. Not sure if you have them where you live, but Winco is a great resource for inexpensively sourced foods (they buy directly from manufacturers to eliminate the middle men and they aren't unionized, both to keep costs low.) And of course WalMart... I refuse to pay Costco to be able to shop there, plus it's hard to walk out of there without a $250 bill on a bunch of crap that's going to go bad or you can't fit into your fridge/cupboards because the package size is so huge.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Ground meats, frozen veggies, sausages (check the carb count), whole chicken, chicken thighs, chicken drumsticks, bulk cheeses, eggs, canned tuna, mayonnaise. All very much affordable. You can definitely do it!
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    I started saving more money after i went Keto. Most of the full fat meat cuts are on sale in Target, Kroger or costco and cost much less than the low fat meats. Same with cheese, high fat stuff is cheap. I call it a wash between fruits and meat in terms of expenses.
  • SnowFlinga
    SnowFlinga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've also found that keto has actually reduced the quantity of food that I eat. So that 12 oz. steak now lasts for 2 meals instead of just one.
  • Deborah105
    Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I started saving more money after i went Keto. Most of the full fat meat cuts are on sale in Target, Kroger or costco and cost much less than the low fat meats. Same with cheese, high fat stuff is cheap. I call it a wash between fruits and meat in terms of expenses.
    I find this to be true for me as well. Since my protein is very moderate and the veggies I like the best are very inexpensive the budget is doing good! I love cabbage, cauliflower, spinach, zucchini. I do shop at Aldi a lot and at Costco. I find that now that I'm not buying very many processed foods those costs are balanced out with the fresh things I'm buying.

Also, around here it is farmer's market season and that can be a fantastic place to find lovely, homegrown, vegetables. Mmmm!
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Winco if you have one is very reasonable!! I too am saving money, because I no longer need to eat lunch!
  • youdontknowme9
    youdontknowme9 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I watch the sales at Bi-Lo and when they have buy one get one free sales, stock up. I also eat more hamburger than I probably should. LOL.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Pork is pretty cheap! I load up on pork chops at winn dixie when they are BOGO. Frozen veggies can be cheaper as they will last longer and reduce trips to the market.I buy the fattiest and cheapest hamburger. I buy a 5 dozen box of eggs at BJ's per week for my family of 3. Its really not more expensive unless you buy organic and grass fed.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Pork is pretty cheap! I load up on pork chops at winn dixie when they are BOGO. Frozen veggies can be cheaper as they will last longer and reduce trips to the market.I buy the fattiest and cheapest hamburger. I buy a 5 dozen box of eggs at BJ's per week for my family of 3. Its really not more expensive unless you buy organic and grass fed.

We were able to find pasture raised ground beef @ $5/# & pork for $4.80/# through meetups. The pork we just got was 1/4 share of a whole pig that came out to about 40#'s of meat after butchering.

The meat comes from their family's farm in the Catskills & even though they deliver to the NYC area, the person who arranges it, actually lives < 5 miles from me. So luckily, I just pick it up from her house.

This shocked the hell outta me as I NEVER get this lucky.

As far as everything else, veggies from the green grocer (or farmer's market if you have those sorts of things near you, they keep popping up here on Long Island all over the place). We get butter & coconut oil from Costco too.

Patel Brothers (if you're in LI, NY) is a great place to get oils, herbs & spices really cheap too. Also, we have a garden that provides us with veggies so that helps defer costs too.

Sorry that most of this info is specific to my area but you may have to get a little creative. Before we got the meat from the farm, we used to buy it at Costco & freeze.

We're 2 weeks into the pork & have about 2 more weeks left, so for about 200$ we got 4 wks worth of meat.
    Veggies, cream, butter etc usually run us about $100/wk at Costco
    Family of 4
  • angelinalblyth
    angelinalblyth Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I bulk make my meals each Sunday. I make sure I have my meals set out for the week ahead and make a list. I get most of my items from Aldi I find their produce really good and fresh plus they last a long time. I also have a deal at my local butchers they give me 5kg of chicken, 4 sirloin steaks, lbs of stew, lbs of mince, 4 burgers and 4 pork chops all for £50. That lasts me a long time plus my brother and dad have some also. Before I got the meat package from the butchers my weekly cost of food for just myself was between £20-£30.

Also at the start I used this persons meal plan http://cavemanketo.com/keto-meal-plan/ now that Ive been doing it for a while I swap out some of the meals when I get fed up of one. Ive been using http://www.ruled.me/ webpage for inspiration.
  • Shaselai
    Shaselai Posts: 151
    Options
    Like others have said bulk is your friend and also it depends on your caloric intake as well. For me personally i like to buy sausages, chicken thigh with skin on, hamburger patties at costco. I like fatty cut pork like pork belly and costco doesnt have them so i go to asian market to get my fix on them.
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    You all have a Winco store? I just discovered it and the prices are amazing!