Body weight routine to see me through a two week vacation

Options
stumblinthrulife
stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
I have a two week vacation coming up, and won't be able to lift.

I'm currently doing the beginner variation of Wendler 5/3/1, having transitioned from Stronglifts.

Can you recommend a good body weight routine to maintain strength during this time, keeping in mind I may have access to no equipment whatsoever - not even a chin-up bar. I'll try to find a local park or something, but I'd like a routine that doesn't rely on it.

Thoughts?

Replies

• CrescentCityGirl
    CrescentCityGirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Tagging, will be traveling soon also.
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    ..Sorry, I didn't realize this was on this board.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Tagging, because I will be vacationing in Ireland in September.
  • tony56pr
    tony56pr Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend checking out athlean-x on youtube, look for burst training. Mountain climbers, split squat lunges with jump, push ups, etc... There is some (ok most) there that leaves me on the floor using nothing but body weight. I'm going to be gone 10 days starting 18th, few of my reservations have pool and plan on using swimming as much as possible to burn some calories. Along with above body weight workouts. My biggest issue is how to find food that isn't crazy on carbs, sodium, and of course calories.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Given that it's only two weeks I wouldn't be too concerned about it, but having said that--convict conditioning and you are your own gym tend to be popular recommendations.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-2.html

Important point in there you'll likely find disappointing.

"The basic conclusion, again from both research and practical experience is that both volume and frequency of training can usually be cut by up to 2/3rds (that is, to 1/3rd of what you did to improve it) but with one massively important caveat: the intensity of that training must be maintained.
    Put another way, you could maintain volume and frequency at the same level but if you cut intensity, you will lose the adaptation. Basically any combination that’s ever been looked at only works if intensity is maintained."

But good news - 2 weeks is well short enough.

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/how-long-can-i-go-without-lifting-weights

"In fact, a recent study of recreational weight lifters found that 6 weeks of inactivity resulted in only a slight decrease in power (10 percent after 2 weeks) and virtually no drop-off in size or strength."

Don't rest, do what you can - but don't be surprised to come back stronger with a good strong recovery you had.
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Just to follow up on this, when taking a vacation or break from lifting (let's say a month in my case), would it be advisable to return to the weight you left off or lower the weight?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Just to follow up on this, when taking a vacation or break from lifting (let's say a month in my case), would it be advisable to return to the weight you left off or lower the weight?

Same weight, be prepared to lower the reps. Should be really sore for more days than probably care to have or remember from earlier days.

So less weight slightly higher reps for couple sessions may allow recovery to be shorter, and really getting back to normal routine.

It's a bummer when the DOMS last 4 days, knocking out a your next normal routine for those same muscles
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

If its a month, I would drop the weight by about 10% and see how you go with that. You may also want to drop some sets and work up. When I have had a longish break, I just cannot physically lift as much weight as I could before, even for a set.