Autoimmune protocol, anyone?

Options
AbbeyDove
AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
Hi all,

I'm starting the AI paleo protocol (due to my thyroid problems). Previously (and hopefully again someday) I did eat dairy, etc. I'll likely do the protocol for a month solid, maybe two. Is anyone else doing this? If so, I'd love to have a couple of friends whose diaries I can creep to see what you're eating. This protocol is a challenge for me!

Regards!

Replies

• homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I'm not on the autoimmune protocol any more, except for avoiding nightshades, but there is some good info on the web about it. I think Paleo Mom is one such website.

I can tell you my eating changed completely. A typical day might look like this:

Breakfast:
    Coffee blended with a heaping spoon of virgin coconut oil. That's still enough to hold me until after 2 pm

If I ate food for breakfast in those A-I days, what I would have done was fry some nitrate-free bacon or ground beef, take the meat out when done, in the fat remaining in the pan fry chopped onions and minced garlic (when I'm lazy I just use a heaping spoonful of Trader Joe's minced garlic in a jar), when the onions start to turn translucent add greens until the frying pan is almost overflowing -- they cook down. Stir-fry greens for me include kale, chard, spinach, beet greens.

After the greens cook down, transfer to big bowl or plate. Sprinkle meat on top. Add half a chopped avocado. Pour a generous amount of extra-virgin olive oil over, followed by sulfite-free balsamic vinegar.

If I ate such a breakfast, I usually didn't need lunch. If I was out and about, though, and needed protein, I might seek out a Chicken Caesar salad somewhere, without croutons or cheese (or Caesar, for that matter), with olive oil if I could get it and a drizzle of lemon juice. If I was home and needed protein, I'd open a can of sardines or salmon.

(By "needing protein" -- it's hard to describe. After a week or so of starting, I never seemed to feel hunger. Yesterday I was supposed to have lunch out with my eldest, so I did my usual coffee-with-raw-cream breakfast and we went to lunch at 2:30 because of schedule constraints. The restaurant closed at 2:30. Drat. Eldest was hugely disappointed, so I offered to make it dinner instead. Again because of the schedule, we couldn't get back to the restaurant until 6:30. By about 5:30 I was starting to feel a bit hollow inside. Not shaky, just a desire to eat. If I'd known I wasn't going to eat at lunchtime, I would have had some coconut oil along with my coffee, and very likely wouldn't have had that hollow feeling later in the day, even without having had the opportunity to eat because of busyness. Coconut oil is amazing stuff! In my pre-Paleo/Primal days, before I became fat-adapted, missing a meal would have made me shaky and woozy. Missing two meals? I shudder to think of it.)

For dinner, it would be baked fish with ghee or coconut oil instead of butter, or roasted or stir-fried meat of some sort (chicken, lamb, beef, occasionally pork but I always have to make two meals when we have pork because our eldest is allergic to pork), plus a large salad, either mixed greens or just romaine lettuce if I'm feeling lazy. I usually add half a chopped avocado to any salad, and pour over olive oil and balsamic. If I'm not feeling lazy, I'll add more vegetables. Roasted vegetables are wonderful: cut veggies into similar sizes, drizzle with olive oil, sea salt and pepper, sprinkle granulated garlic or add cloves of garlic to the mix, roast at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. Great candidates: broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, carrots, onions, parsnips, sweet potatoes/yams. I'm sure there are more veggies out there, but this is just off the top of my head.

If I need more calories or specifically more carbs, I might add a chopped sweet potato to the breakfast stir-fry, or bake or steam a sweet potato, or bake a winter squash to add to dinner and mash it with coconut oil.

Once I had been doing the A-I protocol for awhile (several months, if I'm remembering right), I started adding things back in, one at a time, slowly, watching for reactions. That's how I figured out that almonds and eggs and gluten don't seem to bother me (though I avoid gluten most of the time anyway, because I do so much better when I keep my carbs low), while nightshades cause crippling pain and stiffness. Occasional dairy is okay, too, though I have to be careful. I can do unlimited butter and raw cream without seeming to suffer any ill effects, but I have to make cheese or half 'n' half occasional treats, and limit ice cream to once a week at most (and that's because of the sugar and carbs, mostly -- I only eat premium ice cream made from cream, no artificial colors or flavors or preservatives and no carageenan. It's part of my "20" with regard to Mark Sisson's 80/20 approach. I find having one feast day a week where my carbs are between 100-150g, while keeping carbs below 80g a day for the rest of the week keeps my metabolism guessing).

You may have noticed no fruit in this equation. You're right. I slowly added in fruit later on -- berries, then an occasional half-grapefruit. I got my sweet-tartness and vitamin C from home brewed kombucha and water kefir. Nowadays I can eat almost any fruit, though I mostly stick to less-starchy fruit like berries, or half a grapefruit, which never has seemed to affect my blood sugar.

Hope this helps.

ETA: Oh, I made a point of eating wild-caught salmon at least once a week, and chicken livers at least once a week. I don't care for liver, but if you saute it with onions in bacon fat and then serve it over stir-fried greens, drizzled with olive oil and balsamic, it's almost pleasant.

p.s. When I was on the A-I protocol I made a point of eating only organic vegetables, and I did my best to buy the healthiest meat our budget could afford. Sometimes I was only able to buy enough grass-fed meat for myself. I didn't let myself feel guilty for feeding my family cheaper meat; it was a matter of trying to heal my crippled body and food was my medicine. If I bought cough medicine for a cold, I certainly wouldn't be dosing everyone around me along with myself! That's how I dealt with the guilt feelings for eating fancier food than I could give the rest of my family. Believe me, if we could afford it, we would all eat that way. Our budget at the moment can sustain "good" meat for the whole family about once a day, or maybe every other day, and that's because our teens eat a lot of filler, like rice or potatoes.
  • nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm not autoimmune but my family member was for a while trying to deal with intense diverticulitis flare ups.

For recipes try http://stalkerville.net/ and click the sub heading autoimmune, as it complies paleo autoimmune recipes from around the web.

For info there's http://www.thepaleomom.com/ and http://autoimmune-paleo.com/
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions! I'm having a hard time facing meat in the morning (20 years as a vegetarian), but oddly enough, while the idea of a ground meat patty in the a.m. seems unbearably nauseating, I actually think I could do liver. The texture is different, I guess. And, the two dudes in my life *really* don't like liver, so I wouldn't even have to feel guilty.

I wish salmon wasn't so expensive. I'm eyeballing the canned stuff, just as a work-around. I'm happy for you that you can do some dairy! That would be so helpful. The AI protocol I'm using says no coffee, so I'm stuck with tea for now. I'm interested to see if the nightshades affect me similarly. I have mild arthritis, but it sounds like what you had is really serious.

Anyway, thanks again. I'm really trying to put this together in a workable way. Whew, it's a lot of cooking!
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions! I'm having a hard time facing meat in the morning (20 years as a vegetarian), but oddly enough, while the idea of a ground meat patty in the a.m. seems unbearably nauseating, I actually think I could do liver. The texture is different, I guess. And, the two dudes in my life *really* don't like liver, so I wouldn't even have to feel guilty.

I wish salmon wasn't so expensive. I'm eyeballing the canned stuff, just as a work-around. I'm happy for you that you can do some dairy! That would be so helpful. The AI protocol I'm using says no coffee, so I'm stuck with tea for now. I'm interested to see if the nightshades affect me similarly. I have mild arthritis, but it sounds like what you had is really serious.

Anyway, thanks again. I'm really trying to put this together in a workable way. Whew, it's a lot of cooking!

The cookbooks Well Fed and Well Fed 2 have great ideas for spending an hour in the kitchen twice a week doing prep work that makes paleo cooking so much easier! Talk about paleo fast food... a whole new use of the phrase. I got both at the library to see how helpful they'd be, and ended up planning to buy them. Oh, the books also give basic recipes with lots of variations. Easy prep, but you don't have to get into a rut eating the same thing all the time.