"Jogging" versus "Jogger."

Options
davemunger
davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
This came up in a discussion on my profile but I thought the larger group would be interested.

So, we all know know that most runners don't like being called "joggers."

But I also think that there is a time and a place for the word "jogging" and "jog," as in "cool-down jog" or "jogging to warm up."

Agree/disagree? Discuss.

Replies

• EEfromJersey
    EEfromJersey Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I agree a runner can jog at times like you said in w/u & c/d, for the record I don't like being called a jogger even if you're doing let say 10min pace to me that's not jogging. Though fast runners may consider that even a jog, not sure.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I don't mind when people say " jogger" or "jogging" in place of running, as long as you don't say that I'm NOT a runner.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Total ROCK ON discussion - Love it.

Brutally Honest here - I will blame articles in Runner's World for me not embracing word "jogging".

Too many cartoons, jokes and comments that follow their article that eventually made me think "What the hell? I didn't jus' kick my *kitten* to be associated to that"

And then there are folks in the world of lifting - the body fitness gurus jus' to prove whatever they ever are trying to prove have erased the words "runner", "run", "running" from their vocab. I guess it makes them feel powerful. So be it.

Thanks for not posting this in General Forum. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Blasphemy!!!! ???? I just say warm up/cool down or easy pace. ????
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    The word jogging just makes me think of terry cloth warm up suits and the 70's.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Jogger
    woman-mature-jogging-headphones-233jn050510.jpg
  • davemunger
    Options
    One thing I think is interesting about "jogging" is that it implies something "light" and "not serious." Sometimes that is exactly what I'm doing, just loosening up / warming up / cooling down, so I like to use the word for those things.

But if I'm absolutely dying at the end of a tough long run I might be going slower than my "jog" a few days earlier. In NO CASE will I call that a "jog"! That is a HARD RUN!
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I don't jog, I run...

BUT I use the word jog sometime, especially for speedwork.... Ex: 800m@3K pace, 400m recovery jog between repeats. That slow painful running between repeats is jogging in my mind.

My former "coach'' used to say ''joggining'' for slow same place legs moving.. It was funny that everyone knew what he meant.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Doug where'd you get that picture of me?! I'm so embarrassed!
  • davemunger
    Options
    Jogger
    woman-mature-jogging-headphones-233jn050510.jpg

Sure, but "Jogging":
    jogging.jpg
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I can careless what you call me as long as you don't run me over with your car.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    jogging-yogging-anchorman-ron-burgundy-meme-269x286.jpg

EDIT- I have been banned for so long I forget how to post images... fail....

I fixed if for ya.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Here is the differnce between "joggers" and "runners": Joggers don't get pissed when you call them a runner.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

jogging-yogging-anchorman-ron-burgundy-meme-269x286.jpg

EDIT- I have been banned for so long I forget how to post images... fail....
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Also, we need to take this issue to MFP because of their "X:00/mph Running (jogging)" cardio database entries. Which is it? Huh?!

There's bigger fish to fry with the MFP database.

For God's sake, I'M NOT STILL WALKING
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I can careless what you call me as long as you don't run me over with your car.

Ok. Now everybody in the coffee shop is looking at the crazy laughing lady.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I need to get me a "jogging outfit" so i can look like a badass at my marathon in December. Be looking like Tony Soprano. yeah, that's right. I from freakning New Jersey.

untitled-14.jpg
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I need to get me a "jogging outfit" so i can look like a badass at my marathon in December. Be looking like Tony Soprano. yeah, that's right. I from freakning New Jersey.

untitled-14.jpg

I'm going to run in a velour Bosnian-style tracksuit for a cool weather training race. Watch me.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    You need to trademark DaveJogging. Defined as: Dave Running Easy. Screw you guys, I'm going for a trail jog.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Crap, I meant DougJogging. One more thing: jogging in a track suit in this weather is called "heat training."