The last 8-10 lbs

Options
kerickson86
kerickson86 Posts: 11 Member
I am 5'7 about 142 lbs, normal weight but would like to lose a little more, used to weigh 180. I was wanting to see if anyone was willing to share what they have been eating so I can get some ideas. I need to switch it up. I work out plenty, try to do 300 minutes a week, started running 3 miles and been walking at an incline for about a year, usually do at least 40 minutes a day. Yesterday I ran 4 miles but broke it up, did 43 minutes on the treadmill in the morning ( 23 minutes of running about 2 miles, the rest walking) and then another 35 minutes in the afternoon ( 2 miles of running again the rest walking). I get plenty of exercise just needing a little help with what to eat to get those last lbs off :) Thanks!

Replies

• mg1147
    mg1147 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Have you incorporated any weight training into your exercise? Last time i need to lose weight I was doing a 4 week weight/cardio program at my gym and although the scale only moved by 1 pound, I lost 4 inches! The muscle I gained had much to do with that, but it ate at the existing fat I had!
    I guess the real question is, are you ok with staying the same weight but having smaller measurements? If so, I think that could help!
  • aldiz
    aldiz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It sounds like we are the same body type. I am also 5'7 and I hovered around 145 for years before getting up to 152 and am now down to 125. I found, for me, counting grams of protein is just as important as counting calories. Here are some of my favorites:

*Breakfast:
    Egg whites
    Greek yogurt w/ground flax seed
    Apple Gate Farms Chicken & Apple sausage
    Cheerios, almond milk and berries

*Lunch
    Oikios Greek Yogurt "dips" have saved me! They come in many delicious favors (dill, garden veggie, French onion is my favorite) and I use them as salad dressing, veggie dip, warmed up as sauce on pasta and veggies, base for tuna salad, delicious! Because Greek yogurt is the base, they're only 25 calories per serving!! 25! I've seen them in all grocery stores near the sour cream.
    Typically for lunch I make a salad with tons of veggies, shredded turkey lunch meat and a serving (2T) of the Oikos "dips". Turns out to be protein packed for only about 100 cal.

*Snacks
    PB2 peanut butter powder has also been hugely helpful. It's peanut butter with the oil pressed out so it's far less fat/cal than reg PB but still retains some of the protein content. You mix it with a bit of almond milk and it's only 45 cal per serving. I drizzle it on bananas and add it to my protein shakes for the PB flavor.

Skinny pop popcorn is only 35 cal/serving.

Sharon's sorbet is amazing. It's GF, non-dairy and 110-140 cals\serving. Coconut and chocolate are my fav.

*Dinner
    Veggies roasted at low temp in a couple tablespoons of coconut oil (which is shown to "burn" calories). Asparagus roasted in coconut oil is my fav. especially bc it's a fibrous veggie that usually helps my digestion and gets rid of my bloat.

Homemade "taco bowl" with: meatless "ground beef", lettuce, salsa, fat free refried beans, black olives, tomato, a little shredded cheese, a few crushed taco chips. Yum.

Precut chicken strips (easy to add to any salad or throw together w/veggies)

Grill: pineapple, veggies and chicken as kabobs, slide everything off the skewer and toss all together w seasoning

I hope this helps. I'd love for this thread to continue....I'm always looking for new ideas!!
  • kerickson86
    Options
    This is what I have eaten today - I plan to have a few cups of powergreens with cucumber and a sprinkle of cheese later, plus about 6oz of a pork chop, green beans and broccoli for dinner... I changed myfitness pal to lose 8 lbs, and it says 1470 calories per day, I will burn about 500 calories later on my treadmill..should I eat more and eat back the exercise calories or stay with this? Just looking for opinions :)

Eggs - Fried (whole egg), 3 large

Daves Killer Bread - 21 Whole Grain 100% Whole Wheat, 1 slice- with a spread of butter

Cream - Half and Half, 2 tbsp

Peets Coffee - Major ****ason's, 2 cup

Blue Diamond - Nut-thins - Pecan Rice Crackers, 8 crackers (30g)

Fage Total - Greek Strained Yogurt, 200 g (7 oz) With two strawberries cut in small pieces

Trader Joe's - Organic Gala Apples,

Generic Usda - Banana (7" to 7-7/8" Inch), 1 Medium
  • Padzster
    Padzster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I'm 5'7" and I've gone from 154lbs to 136lbs since the new year. This is the first time in my adult life that I've managed to shift the last pounds, and the main changes was weighing and logging food, and moving from never-ending cardio to weights.
    Feel free to add me - my diary will be open.
  • simbersea
    simbersea Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I agree, weightlifting has made a bigger change in my body than the tons of cardio I used to do. My focus has been on lifting and getting in my 90+ gram of protein daily, and its working (slower than I would have liked :), but working). Good luck.
  • kerickson86
    Options
    Thanks, I requested you as a friend. I do love my cardio so I am going to continue doing that, but will add more weights into the mix. Could you give me some suggestions on exercises? i have been doing lots of squats, push ups, tricep dips, 8lb each arm free weights. I don't put this on my exercise diary usual, I should start doing that.
  • Padzster
    Padzster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Take a look at Stronglifts 5x5. It works the entire body and makes you gain strength progressively. I love it and have had great results from it. There is a group on here for Stronglifts 5x5 women.
  • simbersea
    simbersea Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Take a look at Stronglifts 5x5. It works the entire body and makes you gain strength progressively. I love it and have had great results from it. There is a group on here for Stronglifts 5x5 women.
    Ditto
  • beachbumtorres
    beachbumtorres Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I came across spinach and gherkins! very low cals and nutritious. Does anyone know where I can talk about my weight loss goals ?
  • tlicttbh
    tlicttbh Posts: 89
    Options
    I recently started TRX suspension training. It is very challenging and is taking my workouts to a higher level. I am hoping that this change in exercise level will help me lose some weight, or at least inches.
  • Arizona_C
    Arizona_C Posts: 1,476 Member
    Options
    what has been working wonders for me is cutting carbs down to around 40g a day and doing lots of cardio, 2-3 hours a day. 25 pounds lost so far, it has taken me 3 months...
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Ditto

Ditto...weight training. It will lower your BF% and make you stronger. Focus on your measurements, not so much on your weight and you'll be surprised I promise you.